The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-17-2016, 05:35 AM

Default Suggestions For Reworking a Martin 00

Several years ago, I bought a Martin 00C-16DB off Ebay. Got it for a very low cost. When it arrived, I saw the top finish had been damaged by either a spill or an attempt to redo it. It was basically smeared and uneven. For what little I paid, I decided to keep it and it does play well and has remarkable tonal range for a 00.

I am now thinking of doing something about the finish and wanted to solicit any suggestions or advice.

I can...

restore to original natural finish

have a burst or ambertone finish applied

I am also considering the viability of changing the rosette, never really liked the classical style mosaic on these models. Considering a 40 style torch inlay on the slotted headstock as well.

Opinions on the viability of these changes, pitfalls in making these changes, guesses as to cost, and whether it is better done at Martin or an independent shop.

I'll take any advice I can get.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

I think the top refinish can be very doable. The rosette change could be tricky because removing the old one and preserving/creating a clean slot might be very tricky.

While you have the neck off, the pickguard removed and the bridge off you can get a nice neck set made and, at the end, it will be like a new guitar - so I would say "go for it".

Be extra careful removing the pickguard - they can tear wood on the way out.

As for finish, that depends wholly on the skills of your finisher.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-17-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I think the top refinish can be very doable. The rosette change could be tricky because removing the old one and preserving/creating a clean slot might be very tricky.

While you have the neck off, the pickguard removed and the bridge off you can get a nice neck set made and, at the end, it will be like a new guitar - so I would say "go for it".

Be extra careful removing the pickguard - they can tear wood on the way out.

As for finish, that depends wholly on the skills of your finisher.
I won't be doing any of this myself, recipe for disaster. I'm leaning towards having Martin do whatever I get done, just not sure how much of what I might want is reasonable. I would say the budget is around the cost of a similar example in good condition.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM

While Martin builds guitars they are not the best anymore to repair guitars, even their guitars. If you can sand out and buff the finish to make it look better that would be my choice. Refinishing will take a long time to restore the sound you have now, but should you decide to do that I would send it to a good luthier or a builder, but not to Martin. Seems if I remember Martin even saying that a certified Martin repair is better than the factory now days.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Several years ago, I bought a Martin 00C-16DB off Ebay. Got it for a very low cost. When it arrived, I saw the top finish had been damaged by either a spill or an attempt to redo it. It was basically smeared and uneven. For what little I paid, I decided to keep it and it does play well and has remarkable tonal range for a 00.

I am now thinking of doing something about the finish and wanted to solicit any suggestions or advice.

I can...

restore to original natural finish

have a burst or ambertone finish applied

I am also considering the viability of changing the rosette, never really liked the classical style mosaic on these models. Considering a 40 style torch inlay on the slotted headstock as well.

Opinions on the viability of these changes, pitfalls in making these changes, guesses as to cost, and whether it is better done at Martin or an independent shop.

I'll take any advice I can get.
What's the model worth?

A top refinish is pricey because doing it right means R&Ring the neck, bridge, and pickguard. $800-1000 at a good shop, and it may negatively affect tone.

Add a few hundred for each of the other options you are thinking about. Plan on keeping it, since you couldn't get back anything close to what you have into it.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
What's the model worth?

A top refinish is pricey because doing it right means R&Ring the neck, bridge, and pickguard. $800-1000 at a good shop, and it may negatively affect tone.

Add a few hundred for each of the other options you are thinking about. Plan on keeping it, since you couldn't get back anything close to what you have into it.
Seen them selling for just under $2K. I have about $400 in it as it sits.The changes I am contemplating are what I would order on a new custom so I'm thinking in terms of changing what I have rather than going that route. Its perfectly usable as it is, just butt ugly.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:31 PM

The rosette would have to be routed out, which would mean removing the neck. And unless the new rosette was the same size or larger, you would have to add spruce to fill in any gaps. This is viable, provided the added spruce is matched closely in color and grain width, and if it is only added in between the rosette rings of the new rosette.
Natural or a sunburst is player's choice....unless the wood is so messed up that a natural finish would not cover the problem.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
The rosette would have to be routed out, which would mean removing the neck. And unless the new rosette was the same size or larger, you would have to add spruce to fill in any gaps. This is viable, provided the added spruce is matched closely in color and grain width, and if it is only added in between the rosette rings of the new rosette.
Natural or a sunburst is player's choice....unless the wood is so messed up that a natural finish would not cover the problem.
I'm getting the impression the rosette may be too much trouble and cost for the benefit. It not that big an eyesore to me, probably like it better when the rest of the top looks better.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:28 PM

I would love to see what it looks like right now. My curiosity has been piqued.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
What's the model worth?

I would assume that this is a very conservative estimate, 'cause that's a lot of work. And yes, it's unavoidable that the sound of the guitar is going to change. Especially if you're going with a natural finish, it's likely that it'll take a fair amount of sanding to remove the discoloration from the previous refinishing attempt(s). This will reduce the mass of the top, thus lowering its resonant frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticMrFox View Post
I would love to see what it looks like right now. My curiosity has been piqued.
Yes. Please post a pic if it's not too much trouble.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair