The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-16-2016, 01:40 PM

Default Raising saddle

Basic basic question.

If one installs or shims a higher saddle, on a steel acoustic, other than obvious changes to the action, what can be expected in terms of how the sound changes? I know that is basic but if anyone can weigh in. thanks
Old 03-16-2016, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

I took a saddle down a bit too far lowering the action. Picked up a sitar ringing on the treble strings and a slight buzz on the bass side. I had some ebony overlay sheets in the shop & glued it to the bottom. Since I was still bone against wood in the slot it worked great. No decernable difference in tone. Quick, easy, and no risk.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:40 PM

Provided the original break angle of the strings over the saddle was sufficient, I've found that the only tonal changes due to raising the saddle was due to the heightened action which would allow for a more aggressive attack by the player.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:36 AM

I have never had a problem shimming a saddle changing sound. Don't use thick shims, don't use more than two. If you need more make a new saddle. I usually use maple laminate, it cuts with scissors and sounds good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair