The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Necks definitely have an impact on the sound of acoustic guitars,...

I seriously doubt it's the neck profile that causes the tonal impact, but the mass.
That was precisely the point I was trying to make. Profile which adds to mass will have tonal impact.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
That was precisely the point I was trying to make. Profile which adds to mass will have tonal impact.
I agree, though there are so many other factors that affect an acoustic guitar's tone that it can be close to impossible to discern what tonal contribution a given neck profile might have. A denser, heavier piece of wood used for a low profile neck might have more effect than a lightweight piece with a larger neck profile.

whm
Old 07-17-2018, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I agree, though there are so many other factors that affect an acoustic guitar's tone that it can be close to impossible to discern what tonal contribution a given neck profile might have. A denser, heavier piece of wood used for a low profile neck might have more effect than a lightweight piece with a larger neck profile.

whm
My bolding - yes, I think this is what makes jumping to any conclusions based on anyone's single experience so challenging. Many times even luthiers who make guitars on a regular basis qualify their statements because they know that there are just too many interconnected variables.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-17-2018, 08:11 AM

Default Credit due to Roger Knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
The neck does contribute a resonant frequency, which depends on the mass and stiffness of the neck, but it does not move much air. It's most significant effect occurs when it is close enough to couple with another resonance frequency that does move some air.
Gotta give credit where credit is due! The quote above is the correct assertion concerning the neck's impact on tone, IMHO.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
The neck does contribute a resonant frequency, which depends on the mass and stiffness of the neck, but it does not move much air. It's most significant effect occurs when it is close enough to couple with another resonance frequency that does move some air.
I cannot disagree with your technical analysis of how it works. It's spot on. And yes, the frequency response is affected. That is exactly why Fender markets the "Fat Finger". But can tell you from experience, particularly with solid body guitars where there is little if no air movement that the tone differences are significant. However I do admit that there are many more factors involved with acoustics. But mass and frequency response cannot be overlooked.

I know that when I place my Thalia Capo over the nut of my 814ceDLX the frequency response changes, thus the balance, thus the tone which I find somewhat improved (to my ear). Does it change the overall character of the guitar? No. But someone looking for more bass response, or conversely less treble response might find a preference. When I place the capo on the nut of my D35 it takes whatever it does too far and degrades the overall quality of sound.

Perhaps my original post was an over-simplification, but I wanted to discuss it because regardless of the technical factors, profile contributes to mass which contributes to the overall gestalt of the tone.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion