The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-15-2019, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default CGDGAD Tuning

Having played in this tuning almost exclusively for 30 years, I am curious how many people play tunes in this tuning, either regularly or periodically.
I've uploaded a ton of tunes recently, and I have done most in this tuning, but also have, in the last 12 years, translated many into Drop D tuning. The latter captures, IMHO, 90% of the atmosphere but not 100%.

Just curious.

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Sounds like an interesting tuning. I've not experimented with that one before. I did have a guitar set up in CGCGCG for a while. That was fun, maybe I'll do that again.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 03-15-2019, 05:05 PM

I came across this tuning because of you...and wrote one tune which I'm pretty happy with but I've never been able to get past that one. I need to just leave a guitar laying around in that tuning and get more of a handle on it.

Still, thanks for turning me on to it!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Mostly standard tuning for me but occasionally I have tuned to some random low pitch tuning and composed something.
Harmonics as part of the melody line have worked easily and well in some more open tunings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I'm learning some of Stephen Wake's music which is mostly either in cgdgad or cgdgcd with a couple of things in dadgad. I just recently purchased his CD/tab package. I started playing primarily in DADGAD and the C tunings back in December and I enjoy it. I wrote a few of my own tunes, mostly in dadgad, which are a continuing work in progress.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 03-15-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 PM

Default Love CGDGAD!!

After almost 20 years of playing I just started learning DADGAD. I started with Jim Tozier’s book Celtic Guitar solos. But I quickly gravitated to his arrangement of SLANE in CGDGAD. It was the first song I learned from his book.

I immediately found this tuning to be so much more intuitive and inspiring than DADGAD. I have rearranged a bunch of my favorite hymns in this lovely tuning over the past few months. Funny enough I had to force myself to tune back to DADGAD to keep plowing through Jim’s book. Honestly I’m puzzled why CGDGAD isn’t more popular?

I have been following your videos and have been very inspired! Just noticed your Celtic Treasures book. Can’t wait to dig into it.

Thanks!!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucatastrophe View Post
After almost 20 years of playing I just started learning DADGAD. I started with Jim Tozier’s book Celtic Guitar solos. But I quickly gravitated to his arrangement of SLANE in CGDGAD. It was the first song I learned from his book.

I immediately found this tuning to be so much more intuitive and inspiring than DADGAD. I have rearranged a bunch of my favorite hymns in this lovely tuning over the past few months. Funny enough I had to force myself to tune back to DADGAD to keep plowing through Jim’s book. Honestly I’m puzzled why CGDGAD isn’t more popular?

I have been following your videos and have been very inspired! Just noticed your Celtic Treasures book. Can’t wait to dig into it.

Thanks!!
The Celtic Treasures book looks interesting, but what is an "e book?" Is it a PDF or do you need a special reader for it?

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-16-2019, 01:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Open C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post
Sounds like an interesting tuning. I've not experimented with that one before. I did have a guitar set up in CGCGCG for a while. That was fun, maybe I'll do that again.
I think the late Tony Cuffe of the group Ossian played in that Open C tuning. I heard him play Coilsfield House in a concert once, and couldn't figure out what the heck he was doing, and then read later he was in open C tuning! 25 or so years later I did that tune in CGDGAD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSuqm-ABSwM

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-16-2019, 01:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default harmonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Mostly standard tuning for me but occasionally I have tuned to some random low pitch tuning and composed something.
Harmonics as part of the melody line have worked easily and well in some more open tunings.
Great point, Derek! My problem, in translating my CGDGAD music to Drop D, is that the natural harmonics aren't where I want them to be in Drop D, for the keys that I gravitate to. In CGDGAD they are wonderfully available to weave into the melody line.

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-16-2019, 01:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
I came across this tuning because of you...and wrote one tune which I'm pretty happy with but I've never been able to get past that one. I need to just leave a guitar laying around in that tuning and get more of a handle on it.

Still, thanks for turning me on to it!
Thank you for trying it. This chord chart on my webpage might be helpful. http://elmcmeen.com/low-c-chart/

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-16-2019, 01:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Stephen Wake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm learning some of Stephen Wake's music which is mostly either in cgdgad or cgdgcd with a couple of things in dadgad. I just recently purchased his CD/tab package. I started playing primarily in DADGAD and the C tunings back in December and I enjoy it. I wrote a few of my own tunes, mostly in dadgad, which are a continuing work in progress.
I like Stephen's touch and music a lot, and didn't realize he played in CGDGAD. Thanks for sharing that.

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-16-2019, 01:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Mel Bay book

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
The Celtic Treasures book looks interesting, but what is an "e book?" Is it a PDF or do you need a special reader for it?
An eBook is for reading on an electronic device, as I understand it, like an iPad. Hard copies are imminent, and I will receive a few copies myself soon.
It's 144 pages long. In the last week, in a burst of crazy energy, I uploaded over 500 pages of mostly unpublished tab/music to the Sheet Music Plus site, with midi sound clips: http://www.tinyurl.com/mcmeenmusic I'm still recovering from that exercise.

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-16-2019, 02:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default CGDGAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eucatastrophe View Post

Thanks!!
Jim Tozier came for a lesson once, years ago.
A good guy, with a very nice touch and sensitivity to phrasing. Slane, under the name of Be Thou My Vision, was the first spiritual song I ever arranged! One of my faves. I've tweaked my arrangement over the years, and still find voicings I hadn't thought of. You might enjoy listening to the audio clips on the stuff I just uploaded to SheetMusicPlus, scores (!) of which are in CGDGAD tuning, including a bunch of copyrighted tunes I was finally able to have published. http://www.tinyurl.com/mcmeenmusic You might like this little practice into a cellphone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fji7wRiOxTE

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 03-16-2019, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Hi El,
It was through your music and arrangements that I was introduced to this particular tuning. You have a way of "exploiting" it to achieve very tasteful musical results, which is what it's all about.
There are a couple of Michael Hedges tunes that I play in very similar tunings:
CGDGBD, and CGDGAC.
It's always interesting to me to experience how even small changes in a tuning can impact the overall feel of the music. Similar to DADGAD and DADF#AD. Just a semitone, but a world of difference in where it takes you.
I'd like to take this opportunity to also thank you for your generous sharing of knowledge and music through the years. You've been a real asset to this community.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-16-2019, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmcmeen View Post
An eBook is for reading on an electronic device, as I understand it, like an iPad. Hard copies are imminent, and I will receive a few copies myself soon.
It's 144 pages long. In the last week, in a burst of crazy energy, I uploaded over 500 pages of mostly unpublished tab/music to the Sheet Music Plus site, with midi sound clips: http://www.tinyurl.com/mcmeenmusic I'm still recovering from that exercise.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to the book being available and I'll check out the tabs.

Jim Tozier is another favorite of mine. I have a couple of covers of his arrangements on my soundcloud page, Star of the County Down and The Flower of Magherally. Every once in a while I'll revisit his Celtic book and "relearn" many of the pieces.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write