The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-22-2019, 05:49 PM

I think motivation wanes when the charm of playing wears thin.

Attainable goals can also become old. By that I mean learning in steps (goals) of ever-harder styles and techniques will always be out in front and beckoning. Some people learn to a certain level and then stop, other's continue. Those who stop are the ones who have lost the magic of playing and begin to see it as a chore to keep going. Those who continue on are the ones still charmed by the music and the guitar.

Unattainable goals - to far to fast - also stymie the spirit to progress because they are not realistic goals. This invites struggle right out of the gate.

Everyone views the guitar and music differently.

I don't have a sound system at home or in my car. That's because I view music differently. When I want to hear it I pick up the guitar and play it. It's not a better or worse perspective, it's just different. I'm way past being entertained by published music recordings, preferring to create my own, and that makes the guitar my only in to music. I will cover my influences of old (1976 and prior) but only a handful still mean something to me, or pique my interest with regard to the skills needed to play them well.

There's no advice I can offer to rekindle the music in someone. I put the guitar down in 1976 for a 30 year hiatus from music only to return to it again with a desire to continue as a writer. I turned 64 a couple days ago and that desire is still very strong. You will have to find your way to rekindle but remember it's a part of you now.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM

Thanks Pitar for your thoughts.
To be honest, I'm still struggling.
Some guitar mates who I introduced to each other are starting up a band (annoyed that I'm not invited to rehearsals-at least as a spectator) and I'm deflated.

But I'm persisting with the guitar, and I really prefer, as you stated, to play my own music instead of other peoples.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air
Old 03-28-2019, 10:44 AM

I think lack of goals is causing disinterest. Most of the suggestions in this thread are pointing to some sort of goal. And remember to appreciate music at its most basic level. Just like physical exercize is a necessary for health, playing music is great for your brain, for its meditative qualities and more. So if you said your losing interest in exercising anymore, would you let yourself get away with that?

Keep looking for your road forward, starting this thread is a great step! As for me, I'm enjoying a new found enthusiasm. As a finger style blues player, I rarely played with a pick. I decided to learn a few fiddle tunes(Whiskey before Breakfast, Cold Frosty Morning, Butter and Eggs). Im learning flat picking, how to learn a fiddle tune, and how to use a metronome all in one. Learning a tune at 80bpm, then 100, 120, 130, 150 and so on is addicting! Maybe a different genre , or even a different instrument(slide?, mandolin?) will be the answer. Ebbs and flows are part of life, ride it out!
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36

Last edited by Woolbury; 03-28-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

IMO guitar is just one thing you can spend time doing. If playing is become a sour chord then take a break. There are plenty of other good ways to spend your time.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
IMO guitar is just one thing you can spend time doing. If playing is become a sour chord then take a break. There are plenty of other good ways to spend your time.
Good point. Plan a break and when you will come back to it.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4321 View Post
Thanks-like to, but work commitments, family etc prohibit this (sadly).
I think this statement is key, because it says something about your inner desires and motivations. I, too, struggle with the fact that I want nothing more than playing in a band (again), but having a one-year-old new family member and a wife who has had a very difficult pregnancy and several medical complications that required me to be there every step along the way over the past year and a half, has placed a lot of restrictions on my life. Until two years ago, I could do pretty much whatever I wanted and use my spare time as I pleased.

In the meantime, you could say that "life got in the way." Except I hate that expression, and from the day that our son was born, I made it a conscious choice to NOT neglect my guitar and music interests as so many of my friends had predicted. In fact, I think I have practiced more guitar since times got difficult than I did before. It's all what we choose. If I accept the fact that "life gets in the way" of my guitar-playing, than what am I really saying? I am acknowledging that guitar-playing is not a part of my life, and that's simply not the case. Therefore, music will always happen, regardless of how busy and difficult life gets. If work commitments were to become so prevalent as to invade the space that music takes in my life, I would dial those commitments back, since I consider my guitar-related commitments equally important (if not more important) than my work-related commitments, even though I'm purely a hobby musician.

Of course, life can get to a point where certain things have to give since there aren't enough hours in the day, but I think if we are truly honest with ourselves, we'll find that we either make the time for things that are truly important to us, or we don't, and if that's the case, we simply prove to ourselves that those things aren't as important to us as we thought they were.

I know I'm oversimplifying a little bit, but I'm a strong believer in creating the life we want.

So if you feel your motivation is fading, and you have a hunch that being in a band would cure that, then you should make being in a band the top priority in your life right now -- without neglecting other important aspects. But it may mean dropping some aspects that we take for granted, because we don't realize how dispensable they really are.

I'm thinking especially along the lines of "keeping up with the Joneses" and spending crazy amounts of time on consuming stuff. Especially the latter, I find, is something one really gets sucked into here in the US. I regularly find myself thinking, "Oh no, I can't practice guitar right now because I have to make a Costco run." And if I don't remind myself, I won't even notice that in reality, there is absolutely no need to make a Costco run, because I could simply pick up a few groceries and cat litter at the supermarket on my way home from work. The only reason I feel I "need" to make a Costco run and invest the time that goes with that is because I somehow got tricked into believing that saving 8 dollars and 98 cents is somehow more valuable than spending an extra hour playing my guitar.

Just food for thought.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 03-28-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred4321 View Post
Thanks for your answer.
Last year I broke my arm and was out of action re guitar playing for 9 weeks, I was worried about my dexterity (right arm) and when the plaster was off couldn't wait to start playing. Stiff and sore for a while but this sense of being very grateful that I can play at my level overtook me.
I like your comment;
"I simply have reached a level of competence that fits my goals in music" as that is how I feel mostly.
You need to find a teacher or a friend that challenges you somehow. More complex music need not be the goal, but a means to keep you engaged until the bug bites you again.

If not, maybe let it be for a while and pursue other things that engage and intrigue you. Not playing or wanting to play is not something to be bothered by. Not being a guitar player is not the end of the world and need not define who you are unless you want it to.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-29-2019, 03:57 PM

I got a call from a music teacher today on my answering machine. I think I'll follow him up and see what he's got to offer.
1978 Greco LP EG 1000
Yamaha THR10
Vox Pathfinder
Vox Adio Air

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write