The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2019, 03:08 PM
Guest 829

Default Using my amps DI out

Hello everyone

Can someone explain the DI out on my amp (schertler UNICO).

I have a mixing desk and two speakers and if I don’t take my Schertler on a gig I simply plug my guitar into a channel on the mixer — happy days.

But if I want to introduce my amp into my live setup I understand that I can use the DI on the Schertler, run into a channel on the mixer and then out through the L and R speakers. What I’m not sure about is the EQ options: Do EQ the guitar on the Schertler or the mixer?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2019, 03:17 PM

I’m not familiar with the amp but assuming the amp’s signal is post-eq then why not try using that signal to the desk and leaving the desk fairly flat. On the other hand, if the signal is pre-eq anyway then the question is irrelevant and the amp eq is for you on stage. Try both and see which works best for you.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
I’m not familiar with the amp but assuming the amp’s signal is post-eq then why not try using that signal to the desk and leaving the desk fairly flat. On the other hand, if the signal is pre-eq anyway then the question is irrelevant and the amp eq is for you on stage. Try both and see which works best for you.
Thanks. The manual doesn’t actually specify whether the DI is post or pre EQ but I take your point. I guess I’ll soon find out but I’m one of those guys who gets a bit nervous plugging things in I’m not sure about.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Depends on who is running the FOH sound, you through your own PA system or the sound guys through theirs.

In my experience, the sound guys wanted me to spit my signal via their direct box to my amp where I could do what I wanted and to the house system where they could do what they wanted. If it's your own system, try it both ways and see what you like.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Depends on who is running the FOH sound, you through your own PA system or the sound guys through theirs.

In my experience, the sound guys wanted me to spit my signal via their direct box to my amp where I could do what I wanted and to the house system where they could do what they wanted. If it's your own system, try it both ways and see what you like.
Thank you for this. I’m getting it now. It’s me through my own cute little PA system: QSC Touchmix 8 and QSC CP8s.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:41 PM

What would be your purpose for introducing the amp? Is it pointed back at you as a monitor? Is it pointed at the audience so they can hear it too? If that's the case, what is it adding to your performance if you already have the PA pointed at them?

Based on the look of the controls on the amp, the prominence of the preamp section and the price tag, I would guess - just guess - that the DI is Post-EQ. Quickest way to test is to plug it into the PA, turn down the amp's master volume and make a drastic EQ change (cut the lows completely). If turning the knob on the amp changed what you heard from your PA, it's Post-EQ. If not, it's Pre, which means it's sending your dry signal right on past the preamp section and onto the mixer.

My two cents: If it's Pre-EQ, you can tailor the EQ of the amp to make your guitar sound how YOU want it to sound to your own ears. Then use the EQ on the mixer to make your guitar sound good to the audience. If it's Post-EQ, set the EQ on the amp for what will sound best to both you and the audience, even if some compromises have to be made. I'd then leave the EQ on the mixer flat.

If you end up pointing your amp at the audience in addition to the two PA speakers, step out in front to make sure they aren't interacting in a way that is detrimental to the sound you want the audience to hear. If you're pointing it back at yourself, you'll likely have to do some feedback mitigation.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy21 View Post
Thanks. The manual doesn’t actually specify whether the DI is post or pre EQ but I take your point. I guess I’ll soon find out but I’m one of those guys who gets a bit nervous plugging things in I’m not sure about.
If you look at the schematic diagram near the end of the manual, you will see that the DI out is post EQ and effects. Basically, it's the same as the main output to the amp's power amp and speakers, except that it has it's own output level control and it's not affected by the master volume. This is fine for a solo act using a small PA, since you don't have to worry much about making sure the guitar sound fits in an elaborate mix.

Even if you have to send your signal to a house PA, you'd probably be fine, although if you sing, the sound person might want a direct vocal instead of a vocal taken from the amp's mix. If you need to send an unaffected, pre-EQ signal to a PA, that can be easily accomplished with a simple DI box in front of the amp. You'd plug into that, send your signal to the amp using the DI's through-put, and then send the unadorned guitar signal to the PA using the DI's XLR out. This way you could use the amp as a monitor and the sound person could mix for the house (a simple mic splitter will let you do the same with your vocals).

However, a sound person running a full PA is also likely to have monitors on hand, and they might not want you to use your amp in that circumstance. But these are bridges you can cross when they actually come up!

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 02-22-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 AM
Guest 829

Many thanks for the above two replies as well — very detailed and provided me with the information I needed.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy21 View Post
Many thanks for the above two replies as well — very detailed and provided me with the information I needed.
You're very welcome! Let us know how it goes.

Louis
Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
You're very welcome! Let us know how it goes.

Louis
I will do Louis. I’m going to try this weekend.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification