The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-25-2018, 02:12 PM

Default Advice From Shorty/CH-OM owners please!

Hi Everyone,

As you know the dimensions on the Shorty FLE and the CH-OM are exactly the same. I want to add a pick up.

Which pick up do you have, or have you tried? Having read up on the Amulet Trance a bit, this one does seem impressive.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Hi Everyone,

As you know the dimensions on the Shorty FLE and the CH-OM are exactly the same. I want to add a pick up.

Which pick up do you have, or have you tried? Having read up on the Amulet Trance a bit, this one does seem impressive.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Surprised nobody has responded. Maybe the bulk of Shorty/ CH-OM owners have bought acoustic/electric versions and haven't been able to try other options? I have a Shorty for sale that had a K&K installed. I don't know that it is the best option but I do think it is a very good option. You will need an external preamp/DI to buffer the sound but that is expected with SBT pickups. I've run it through a Fishman Platinum Stage and a Tonewood Amp and it sounds great through both of those.

If you go with a K&K I would try to run it through a Red Eye DI or the new Sunnaudio DI. I bet they are better than the Fishman. The Fishman sounds pretty good but I've found that their products always seem to color a guitar's output- that is why I elected to forego the Fishman electronics in the Shorty in the first place.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:30 AM

Default Concret Hybrid pick up

I have the concert hybrid OM with the anthem pick up I love being able to mix the under saddle and internal Mike . Gives me flexibility I live situations when playing through someone else’s set up.

Yamaha FG 730 S
Rainsong CH-OM
Seagull 25th anniversary SWS
Gretsch Jim Dandy
PRS SE245
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM

My Shorty came with the Fishman Prefix system installed, and I have the Element in my CH-WS. I know there are folks who've installed aftermarket pickups on Rainsongs, but I can't weigh in with any direct experience.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:47 AM

My current choices in my signature below. I prefer no battery in my guitars which limits the options. If you consider a ToneDexter pedal then almost any UST or SBT will sound great. If I was less concerned about the battery and wanted to avoid a ToneDexter on the floor, then the Baggs Anthem would be on my short list. The K&K Mini sounds very good even with out something like a ToneDexter, but you will likely want a preamp with tone controls on the floor as it will not drive a mixer line input directly and often benefits from a little equalization (I am using a phantom powered Red-Eye but you could go all the way with a ToneDexter).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-29-2018, 09:46 AM

I replaced the Fishman built-in preamp in my WS1000 with a Seymour Duncan mag mic sound hole pick-up. Sounds good to me. Left the hole open where I took out the Frishman. Looks weird, but I like the sound port effect. Hated the sound of the Fishman, very piezo-quacky, harsh, brassy attack. Nothing I tried made it acceptable to me. Actually bought a CA as a stage guitar which sounds great plugged in, much warmer, woodier tone. Love the Rainsong as an acoustic jam axe and now with the Seymour Duncan it sounds good on stage too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber