The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 07:19 AM

Any clip on chromatic tuner will tune to anything.
Most don’t show flats so a 1/2 step down would read
D#
G#
C#
F#
A#
D#
I don’t suggest a capo to tune as that can throw things off. Even with a tuner I may slightly adjust by ear. Also when using a capo I quite often find I have to lower the low E string to get it in tune with the rest.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:23 AM

s2y wrote about the limitations of his onboard tuner.

I’ve owned a couple of guitars that had onboard “barndoor” preamps with built-in tuners. One was an earlier example, from the late 1990’s, but the other was much more recent.

In both examples the tuners were so wildly inaccurate that they were simply unusable, in my opinion. I could tune much faster and better by ear, and by using a Snark or TC PolyTune it was faster and even more accurate.

Perhaps my experiences were exceptional and most onboard tuners are more accurate than the two I was afflicted by, but occasionally I sit down at music stores and run guitars’ onboard electronics through their paces, and I’ve yet to find ANY of them that have onboard tuners that work remotely as well as even the cheapest clip-on tuners.

So for me, based on my limited experience with them, having an onboard tuner as part of the barndoor electronics array is more about looking impressively complicated than it is about actual functionality.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 AM

Well, if your tuner says #s, that would be a reason to think "sharps."
Old 09-25-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
s2y wrote about the limitations of his onboard tuner.
Apologies for not making it clear. This was an external tuner, albeit on the primitive side. It ate batteries and for whatever reasons, did not function with rechargeable batteries.

I think Ovation had an onboard tuner that only tuned to E. Just E. I used to have a decent Adamas that had a chromatic tuner in the late 90's.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:12 AM

Some tuners seem difficult to get good results tuning anything but eadgbe. I’ve had a few clip-ons but the batteries in them don’t last all that long and they start to get wonky. Lately I find the easiest is just using a tuning app on my phone which I always have with me.

Tuning down half step I just fret each string at the 1st position while I tune. I prefer doing it this way as it keeps the tension the same as when I fret while playing. Capo’s tend to push down harder than I do which throws the tuning off. Sometimes the simplest way is the best way.... at least for me😉

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 09-25-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

I just finger each string at the first fret and go down until it shows the string in standard tuning. Release the string and there you are.

I have a Korg tuner, but usually use the app on my phone, Guitar Tuna.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM

The OP did state that they DO NOT want to be heard when they tune up on stage...therefore a clip-on tuner UNSUITABLE. The plug-in solution is the easiest to implement. The BOSS tuner pedal is the de facto industry standard. However, IMO, if you play acoustic guitar, then go all the way, i.e tuner, DI, EQ, preamp, mic modelling, effects (optional) and all of which can be contained in a single floor unit.

The second option is a little more tricky and involves replacing the on-board preamp with one with a chromatic tuner. You may get lucky and find an alternative which are the right dimensions and require no drilling and/or cutting...but I doubt it.

Fishman, LR Baggs, Takamine, et al. will all be happy to take your money.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 09-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
The OP did state that they DO NOT want to be heard when they tune up on stage...therefore a clip-on tuner UNSUITABLE. The plug-in solution is the easiest to implement. The BOSS tuner pedal is the de facto industry standard. However, IMO, if you play acoustic guitar, then go all the way, i.e tuner, DI, EQ, preamp, mic modelling, effects (optional) and all of which can be contained in a single floor unit.

The second option is a little more tricky and involves replacing the on-board preamp with one with a chromatic tuner. You may get lucky and find an alternative which are the right dimensions and require no drilling and/or cutting...but I doubt it.

Fishman, LR Baggs, Takamine, et al. will all be happy to take your money.
Unsuitable? Why? How is adding a cable and a pedal in the chain easier than just clipping on a tuner?

You don't have to be plugged in or turned up to use most headstock tuners. Most operate on vibration mode as well and are just as accurate that way IME.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-25-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I think Ovation had an onboard tuner that only tuned to E. Just E. I used to have a decent Adamas that had a chromatic tuner in the late 90's.
Indeed...

...and as you would expect things have advanced since the 90's.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Ovation:
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 09-25-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Unsuitable? Why? How is adding a cable and a pedal in the chain easier than just clipping on a tuner?
Hmmm....a clip-on tuner does not mute the signal going to the PA. Audiences generally don't want to hear the performer tuning-up between songs. If the performer is a good talker and can make it entertaining, then yes, maybe.
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Ovation:
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 09-25-2018, 03:41 PM

I just tune down to "D" (one full step) and capo on first fret for D# and on second fret for standard. both of my guitars seem to be in reasonable tune when I do this but may need a little tweak or two by ear that takes a few seconds. This way I have three tunings to fit almost all the songs I want to sing. At my advanced age tuning down is really a must!

Ray
Old 09-25-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Hmmm....a clip-on tuner does not mute the signal going to the PA. Audiences generally don't want to hear the performer tuning-up between songs. If the performer is a good talker and can make it entertaining, then yes, maybe.
Not trying to argue, but my point is if his guitar has a built in preamp all he has to do is turn the volume all the way down, tune up and then just turn back up. Same thing as muting with a pedal imo

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-25-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
I just finger each string at the first fret and go down until it shows the string in standard tuning. Release the string and there you are.

I have a Korg tuner, but usually use the app on my phone, Guitar Tuna.
If you are going to do it that way, you by not just slap a capo on the first fret?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhunn View Post
I curious, you folks who play 1/2 step down. Do you use the same fingers and play everything flat or do you learn new fingering for every chord?

Other than perhaps being a bit easier on your fingers, I'm not sure that I understand the point.
You use the same fingerings as you would in standard tuning. I do this to make some songs easier to sing. I don’t have a high range, so bringing th notes down a bit sometimes is the difference between straining and hitting a note comfortably.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:39 PM

So I decided I’m just going to use a clip on tuner that allows you to tune flat or sharp and check my tuning before going on stage. It’s rare that I need to adjust anything after that anyway. And since Clip on tuners work in a noisy bar or club, I can just tune up before going on stage. Also, I actually discovered my on board tuner allows Sharp/flat tunings but that tiny readout is hard to see and decipher while on stage. But I guess it’s good to have in case you need a quick adjustment in between songs (or I can just grab the clip on and turn off my volume for a second)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion