The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Best Book for Classical playing and Music Reading

I'm in need of a good classical book that has musical notations. Also will help me better with sight reading and good exercises for beginner - intermediate levels. Please
Old 09-23-2018, 11:11 PM

For learning to read, Aaron Shearer's 'Guitar Note Speller' is good, assuming
it's still in print. As a general introduction to CG, Frederick Noad's 'Solo Guitar
Playing, Book 1' is worth looking at, though there may be something newer that's better; maybe Stanley Yates's series.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:27 PM

Christopher Parkening Book 1

https://www.amazon.com/Christopher-P...pher+parkening
Old 09-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Julio Sagreras

Together with an instructor's guidance, I'm getting personal satisfaction from books by Julio Sagreras. (Here's a non-Amazon link to the book I'm using: https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar...gh-3-1101.html.) I'm actually surprised that Sagreras is so seldom mentioned on AGF.

As a bonus, this guitarist, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDR3...C7320C&index=1, plays every lesson in order. I've found the videos allow me to get the gist of a lesson before attacking the music itself.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
For learning to read, Aaron Shearer's 'Guitar Note Speller' is good, assuming
it's still in print. As a general introduction to CG, Frederick Noad's 'Solo Guitar
Playing, Book 1' is worth looking at, though there may be something newer that's better; maybe Stanley Yates's series.
I'll 2nd the Noad vote.

I also have a couple of books from author Lawrence "Lare" McDonald, "The Conservatory Tutor" that I like. I think I learned of him over on the Delcamp forum. He has his own website, where I ordered his stuff.

FF
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

For playing, I’m using Stanley Yates’ technique books. I’m a fan of the newer technique being taught by more modern teachers like him who seem concerned about ergonomics and hand health. The Larry MacDonald book is similiar. The Noad book is not.

For repertoire, I’m using the Stanley Yates repertoire books from Mel Bay and the new RCM Guitar Series. I also have the Sagreras and Parkening books mentioned above, and there is a lot of music in them.

If you just want instruction on reading music and a lot of easy pieces to practice reading, I think the old Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method is hard to beat. It’s begins super easy, and it gives you a lot of pieces and exercises with clear instruction.

There is also a lifetime’s worth of free sheet music at the Delcamp classical guitar forum. My own reading has improved a lot the last six months, and I attribute it to playing tons of easy pieces - always reading new material.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasunBey13 View Post
I'm in need of a good classical book that has musical notations. Also will help me better with sight reading and good exercises for beginner - intermediate levels. Please
A Good teacher can never be replaced by books.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical