The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-09-2018, 12:41 PM

Default Action height?

I'm thinking about lowering the action on my flamenco guitar from 0.128" to 0.078" to match my D35. Anyone else drop the action on a classical guitar that low?
Old 09-09-2018, 12:59 PM

The thing about action height on a nylon string instrument is string power and volume. A lot of classical players (and I presume flamenco) develop techniques to play with a lot of power and volume, hence the strings move a lot, hence they have high action so the strings don't buzz. A lot of people (me, for example) don't play with power, don't play loudly at all, and like low action. In your case, go ahead and lower it, maybe half way, play it, see if you like it, if you aren't getting string buzz lower it some more until you do, or until you like it. If you go too far, you can either shim it with some strips of hard card stock, or get a new saddle and start over, stopping before you go too far this time. You lower it by sanding the bottom of the saddle insert on a flat surface with around 120 grit paper, paying attention to keeping the bottom square and flat.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:15 PM

That's good to know! I always wondered why it was so high given all the aggressive fretwork classical players do up the neck. I use it to practice fingerstyle and with the way I play I sure don't need the volume! Hopefully it's easy to sand it properly.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:57 PM

I dont have the numbers in head but you can find usual action for flamenco guiatr easily on-line.

I just want to add 2 things:

1/ that for flamenco, you rather use hard tension strings (I use d'addario del arte EJ44 extar hard tension) so with this you can lower the action more than when using softer strings

2/ in addition, in flamenco, a lot of chords playing technique are percussives and a bit of strings buzzing doesnt matter much (this is even sometimes looked after). But of course, you shall be able to play some melody lines clearly without buzz, so keep it still reasonnable
Old 09-09-2018, 02:17 PM

I think normal action height on a flamenco is around 3mm or 0.128". I'm looking to go almost .060" lower. I don't really want to play flamenco style, in favor of traditional fingerstyle. I only bought it because it has a spruce top and redwood sides and back.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower View Post
I'm thinking about lowering the action on my flamenco guitar from 0.128" to 0.078" to match my D35. Anyone else drop the action on a classical guitar that low?
I suspect you will get fret buzz. Nylon strings (and even the bass strings have nylon cores) swing wider arcs than steel strings which is why classicals have higher action.

The only way I know for you to get the lowest action for your style of playing, is to sneak up on it (sand .01 or .02 off the saddle for example), and keep repeating until you get fret buzz, then shim the saddle back up by the measurement of the last sanding. Or just make a new saddle to that measurement. LMI sells bone shim material in .020 thicknesses.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:29 PM

Late to the party, but .078" at the treble e's 12 fret is so low that unless a lot of fret buzz is desired the op better be a pretty light player and the neck straight, the frets levelled.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:21 AM

On my flamenco the action of the high E is at around 2.7mm. I think my bass strings are at about 3mm.

I wouldn't go lower than that. I think I get away with it because I use HT carbon strings.

HT carbon strings still have much lower tension and stiffness than steel strings and so it is a joy to play.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 09-10-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

I sand my saddles untill the buzz is just this side of too much. But playing flamenco-inspired material enables me to live with some buzz. In fact, I WANT some buzz. When I play classical, country, or rock... I can't stand it. But I can't stand it when I'm playing latin styles and it's too clean. I don't play around with feeler guages to figure out the measurements of the action on my guitars. I just lower the saddles and/or adjust truss rods until I like the playability and sound. I'm sure that there are repeatable, consistent measurements on all of my guitars, but I just tweak the action until it's where I want it. I'm very particular about it, but not methodical in measuring. All that matters is can I get it where I want it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical