The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-13-2018, 02:53 AM

Default My custom PADAUK X20 AND X30 order begins....

Update on this -- now ordering both an X20 and X30 in my custom preferences because I hate the idea of having one and wondering if the other was the right one.

So.... at some point, unless I love both enough, there will be a Padauk acoustic up for grabs....

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This will be another one of those agonizing threads.

But check it out.... here's the veneer. I prefer the ones with uniform color to the multi-color pieces, so I'm going with this one. Pinless bridge. Little accent swirl at the base of the fretboard. Amber sides.

(EDIT!!!!! Kevin talked me into Padauk instead! See third page... )

Yes.... I'm the guy who just posted the deliberately-provocative post about the veneers. I hope y'all can forgive me -- it was a huge inner conflict for me, whether the veneer represented a shallow perversity or was a magnificent artistic achievement. I just watched an interview with Alistair and he won me over with two points:

1. CF guitars are all identical unless you give them character.
2. Gorgeous art guitars could be considered shallow perversities too -- the decoration has nothing to do with music. So why not take advantage of the sturdy structural base of the CF body and go for broke with the most exotic wood possible? You get to enjoy the abstract art of Mother Nature far more this way than with that custom shop you keep hidden away in a humidified case.

Last edited by byudzai; 09-18-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 AM

Wow that is one fine looking bit of wood.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-13-2018, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

LOL A lot of us here understand. Looks like a gorgeous veneer that will make a unique instrument for you. Congrats! The "Anxiously Awaiting Club" gains another member.

"a shallow perversity or a magnificent artistic achievement"... maybe Alistair can have that engraved somewhere on your new guitar?
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Guest 928

byu;

Good decision-making and a beautiful piece of planet earth. To say nothing about the great guitar coming your way.

Slowly.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations and welcome to the club!
Old 08-13-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Congrats! It will be beautiful I'm sure.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Congrats to you! It will be well worth the wait. I own maybe the 2nd or 3rd Cocobolo X20 they ever made from a few years ago. I never get tired of playing that wonderful guitar and it's such a looker I never get tired of glancing at it in the stand ready to grab.

My other is a Cocobolo Chimera 12/6 string double neck. I bought it off a fellow AGF member as it almost matches my X20. It's a wonderful guitar but I rarely pick it up to play it so it may end up on the block soon.

The mock up of your veneer looks great. It will make a striking guitar for sure!
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 08-13-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
Congrats to you! It will be well worth the wait. I own maybe the 2nd or 3rd Cocobolo X20 they ever made from a few years ago. I never get tired of playing that wonderful guitar and it's such a looker I never get tired of glancing at it in the stand ready to grab.

My other is a Cocobolo Chimera 12/6 string double neck. I bought it off a fellow AGF member as it almost matches my X20. It's a wonderful guitar but I rarely pick it up to play it so it may end up on the block soon.

The mock up of your veneer looks great. It will make a striking guitar for sure!
mind sharing photos of those two? would love to see the veneers you got!
Old 08-13-2018, 05:45 PM
Guest 928

SO SLOWLY............................................ .................................................
Old 08-13-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
SO SLOWLY............................................ .................................................
i hope it won’t offend anyone, but i was once really into shooting and got myself a few silencers. takes a year or more to get the tax stamp on those. my dealer’s advice was just to forget about it and let it be a surprise when it arrives.

but waiting is so fun....
Old 08-14-2018, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
mind sharing photos of those two? would love to see the veneers you got!
I'll see what I can come up with tonight and post.
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 08-14-2018, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Here is a front pic of my X20 Emerald Cocobolo. I'll post the Chimera once I get some decent pics of it as I don't have the ones Emerald sent with it.X20 Woody (Cocobolo) (LRB-Spro) CS_MG_4098 as Smart Object-1.jpg
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

Last edited by benderman57; 08-15-2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:21 PM

I'm going to be the contrarian. I really dislike that stripe of sapwood on the very edge of the lower bout. Makes me wonder if the sides could be swapped so that the sapwood was taken out by the arm bevel.

The rest of the wood is gorgeous, but that yellow/white stripe wrecks the effect for me.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I'm going to be the contrarian. I really dislike that stripe of sapwood on the very edge of the lower bout. Makes me wonder if the sides could be swapped so that the sapwood was taken out by the arm bevel.

The rest of the wood is gorgeous, but that yellow/white stripe wrecks the effect for me.
I saw that bit of sap-wood and wondered if someone would say something about it. I am an asymmetric kinda guy and love how this veneer looks!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:58 PM

i’m on the fence. hated it at first. inclined to see it as an endearing idiosyncrasy now. but i did ask to see future veneers if they come in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber