The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-14-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
You’ll need to go big. Rainsong Jumbo or Emerald X 20. In a church with smaller guitars you’ll need to plug in.
I grew up playing churches and went through the acoustic phase where we hammered on our guild and Martin guitars the early amplified days to processed sounds.
I last used a Martin j 12 40. But I’d recommend an Emerald x 20-12 now. Greg Hager has YouTube videos that are quite inspiring.
Thanks! I’ll give those videos a look
Old 04-14-2018, 06:49 PM

I agree with the above posters that CF can be quite a bit louder than wood.

My Rainsong Shorty certainly is.

If you really like Jumbos Rainsong does (or did) make a Jumbo size, otherwise the Windsong (WS) is essentially the same size as a Guild Small Jumbo or Taylor GA.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-14-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I agree with the above posters that CF can be quite a bit louder than wood.

My Rainsong Shorty certainly is.

If you really like Jumbos Rainsong does (or did) make a Jumbo size, otherwise the Windsong (WS) is essentially the same size as a Guild Small Jumbo or Taylor GA.
The WS looks beautiful, and close enough for me. I'm leery about smaller guitars just from a size perspective. I'm a big guy at over 6'3" and heavier than not, so i'd feel kinda weird standing to lead music with something that looks more like a ukulele on me...hence the jumbo
Old 04-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Don’t forget about the comfort factor. Composite guitars allow for some very ergonomic, form-fitting designs that some builders take advantage of more than others.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Don’t forget about the comfort factor. Composite guitars allow for some very ergonomic, form-fitting designs that some builders take advantage of more than others.
Thinking emerald??
Old 04-14-2018, 10:07 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatswalmi View Post
Thinking emerald??
That’s one, for sure. There are others...Composite Acoustics, Blackbirds.....

Even the more traditional like Rainsongs, if their designs fit you.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:27 AM

You should be able to, for your $2000 CAD, be able to find a pretty solid CF Guitar. If I did my conversion right, you’re looking at about $1500 USD. Your biggest issue would likely be the shipping.

You can pretty regularly find some nice CF guitars here. I can’t imagine too many people being against shipping to Canada, as long as you cover that extra freight.

I think Emerald or Rainsong is an excellent choice. Emeralds are fantastic and they are very comfortable. The bevel is something more makes should do.

I’ve noticed that Rainsongs appear on eBay pretty regularly for decent prices. As well, there is always the Classified section here. You just have to see if they’ll ship to Canada.

It is very hard spending that kind of money without touching the guitar though. Hopefully you’ll get a chance to play some. :-)

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
You should be able to, for your $2000 CAD, be able to find a pretty solid CF Guitar. If I did my conversion right, you’re looking at about $1500 USD. Your biggest issue would likely be the shipping.

You can pretty regularly find some nice CF guitars here. I can’t imagine too many people being against shipping to Canada, as long as you cover that extra freight.

I think Emerald or Rainsong is an excellent choice. Emeralds are fantastic and they are very comfortable. The bevel is something more makes should do.

I’ve noticed that Rainsongs appear on eBay pretty regularly for decent prices. As well, there is always the Classified section here. You just have to see if they’ll ship to Canada.

It is very hard spending that kind of money without touching the guitar though. Hopefully you’ll get a chance to play some. :-)

Good luck.
Thanks! I'm on the prowl now!
Old 04-15-2018, 08:33 AM

Just saw this thread that might help for information on shipping and the costs:

US to Canada Shipping
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=506976
Old 04-15-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
Just saw this thread that might help for information on shipping and the costs:

US to Canada Shipping
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=506976
excellent! very helpful.

Last edited by thegreatswalmi; 04-15-2018 at 09:04 AM. Reason: whoops
Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 AM

I purchased a Rainsong H-OM1000N2 guitar and after a setup it is an amazing guitar. It offers great volume, is very playable and a good value. You can buy them for about 15% off the listed pricing. I don't know your budget but you're not going to get a better value in a CF guitar.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 04-15-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatswalmi View Post
I'll be interested to hear how that turns out for you! Do let us know when it comes (i'm sure you'll be anxious to include pics, but a quick nod to duty, or lack thereof, would be appreciated).

I'll be trying out a rainsong at a local long and mcquade shop here, but the look of that x20 just slays me every time. beautiful!
Just to briefly interject on the matter of duties. If it helps, I received my Emerald X-20 in Canada (Ontario) early this year (January) and paid no duties or tax. The sites I looked at indicated it would have duties on it. Whether they were out of date or I just got lucky I can't say for certain.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=zenith;5701639 I just got lucky I can't say for certain.[/QUOTE]

Lucky to have an X-20!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith View Post
Just to briefly interject on the matter of duties. If it helps, I received my Emerald X-20 in Canada (Ontario) early this year (January) and paid no duties or tax. The sites I looked at indicated it would have duties on it. Whether they were out of date or I just got lucky I can't say for certain.

That’s awesome! Can I ask a quick question about your x20? How is it for volume unplugged? I haven’t found much online without really good mic’s or pickup.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I purchased a Rainsong H-OM1000N2 guitar and after a setup it is an amazing guitar. It offers great volume, is very playable and a good value. You can buy them for about 15% off the listed pricing. I don't know your budget but you're not going to get a better value in a CF guitar.

I think there’s one of those on the Classifieds for $1250.

Seems like a pretty fair deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber