The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-24-2018, 08:18 PM

Default Pre-Peavey Cargo

So I brought my Shorty and my Cargo along tonight for Kramster to play again. My Shorty does not have a pick up.

Let's just say Kramster could not put my Cargo down. Plugged in it matched the Emerald X7 and X10.

Kramster has a new appreciation for proper set ups. He has owned Cargo and said this one is a world of difference above his. Needless to say, his guitar collection is going to my guy John Cotter.

The Cargo can duel against the best. It's really a guitar worth considering!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Gotta agree. I’ve owned an ‘08 Cargo (charcoal with ‘road tough’ finish) nice new and still am impressed with what it delivers in every way.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:36 PM

Tis true I tell you...that Cargo is the best sounding and playing I ever did play I say. Plugged in was just a pleasure...I played things that I cant even play on it...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-24-2018, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Gotta agree...my Cargo sounds better to me than the previous version of the X7. I know some can't handle the scale length, but that has been no problem for me. 2016 Carbon Burst. Does your setup guy have a shop?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Gotta agree...my Cargo sounds better to me than the previous version of the X7. I know some can't handle the scale length, but that has been no problem for me. 2016 Carbon Burst. Does your setup guy have a shop?
John Cotter my set up guy works out of his house! I posted his information on the General part of the forum a couple of weeks ago. Pure magic. I have found in my general experience that every guitar that comes from either a factory or private manufacturer needs a set up. Most guitars are set so high that it strangles the sounds and makes them difficult to play. How does your body feel when your muscles are tight? It's the same thing with a guitar.

John "unstrangles" the guitar. So not only does it play like butter, but the end result is a better sounding guitar. And the change in the sound IS dramatic. John is quite a bit older and I do hope he mentors someone

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 10-08-2018 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:29 AM

Must admit, when handed a Cargo at Elderly a couple years ago I thought it was a non-starter in my carbon search - just too small (though admittedly looking for a smallish instrument). First strum was amazing and it remains my only guitar (though there are some occasional aspirations for a Rainsong CH-OM)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for the info Lisa, I'll take advantage of it next time I'm headed to the valley.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:27 PM

Curious. I liked my pre-Peavey Cargo quite a bit, other than the scale length did feel a tad cramped. Perhaps better than my old smaller x7. But I wouldn't say it held a candle to my new x7 for tone, volume or comfort.

Of course, neither my old Cargo or my current x7 have had a masterful setup. Maybe I should give John a call!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Proper Set Up

Guys, if you had heard and seen the expression on Kramsters face as being blown away by my Cargo you would understand that a set up makes or breaks any guitar. He is such a believer now he is going to take some of his guitars to John.

I just sat and smiled as he kept noodling and couldn't believe the things he could do on the guitar that he simply CANNOT do on any of his other guitars.

Be warned. John gets backed up really quickly as he is in high demand. If you have more than one guitar, keep at least one with you while he works on the other one.

Right now he is just getting back into it as he had knee surgery so the timing is ultimate. I am speaking with him tonight as I am bringing the Savoy down to him.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-25-2018, 06:10 PM

I liked the pre-Peavey Cargo, but did not buy one - when I was about ready, they went under suddenly. We do own a Peavey Cargo from about 2014 and like it a lot. We play it using the stock set-up, having not felt the need to change it. But a truly outstanding set up will make any guitar feel and play better.

I tweak my set-ups myself (and have ruined a nut or two in the process) and I can almost always improve the factory set-up, but I am not a master at it.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

The Cargo is a fine little guitar with an almost unbelievable bass response.

The 24” scale is a very nice option for more than 1 reason, including being an aid to creativity and perhaps a stepping stone to new technique. The overall size is comfortable, intimate and easy to transport. The sound with the factory electronics through a decent acoustic preamp/amp rig is very workable. The appearance of the instrument is clean, modern and attractive. It is well constructed and finished. The tuners are very decent. It is both light and substantial feeling.

It’s hard for me to find fault. Perhaps they could have offered a slim, form fit hard case? Perhaps the last price hike was a bit much?

I’ve had a few “travel guitars” from a Collings Baby to a Larrivee Parlor to a headless “traveller” to a Yamaha apx1 etc. The CArgo is the one I’m most happy actually traveling with.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
The Cargo is a fine little guitar with an almost unbelievable bass response.

The 24” scale is a very nice option for more than 1 reason, including being an aid to creativity and perhaps a stepping stone to new technique. The overall size is comfortable, intimate and easy to transport. The sound with the factory electronics through a decent acoustic preamp/amp rig is very workable. The appearance of the instrument is clean, modern and attractive. It is well constructed and finished. The tuners are very decent. It is both light and substantial feeling.

It’s hard for me to find fault. Perhaps they could have offered a slim, form fit hard case? Perhaps the last price hike was a bit much?

I’ve had a few “travel guitars” from a Collings Baby to a Larrivee Parlor to a headless “traveller” to a Yamaha apx1 etc. The CArgo is the one I’m most happy actually traveling with.
As for the case, my ‘08 Cargo came with a gigbag that was far to big for it. As the Cargo replaced my Baby Taylor that got inadvertently crushed, the Cargo fits snugly in the Taylor BT gigbag which worked out great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber