The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Affordable OM/Concert Options?

Thinking I might be in the market for a new acoustic within the next few months, mainly for travel and plugged-in gigs. What I really want is something like one of these guys, but even if my budget was anywhere near that, I'd rather get something I could take on a plane without too much worry.

Currently I'm looking at the Yamaha AC1R and AC3R (the second is a bit more than I'm looking to pay, but you never know). I haven't actually played these models, but both are gorgeous, the right size, and just about every Yamaha I've played has punched well above its weight class.

Just kicking around my options right now; cutaway is preferable, and I'm not fond of low-end (or mid-range, for that matter) Taylors; other than that I'm open to suggestions.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:25 PM

I got a Washburm at Guitar Center last year. I love it and is goes everywhere with me.
Here is a link to one similar to mine but with arm bevel.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Washbur...#productDetail
Old 09-25-2018, 04:37 PM

It would help to know what your budget is.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I've played a few Recording Kings that I thought were great guitars for the money. I believe the one I played was a Martin OM shape.

I believe it was the RO-327 like this one.

https://reverb.com/item/14492154-rec...rc=aw.ds&pla=1
Old 09-25-2018, 04:53 PM

I have owned the Yamaha A1R and the A3R. They were both great guitars. I preferred the A3R a little over the A1R. The pick up system on the all solid wood ones are really ex. pick ups. I think you would really be better off spending a little more and getting the AC3R. I hope this helps. Either way The Yamaha A Series guitars are really hard to beat. I don't think you will be disappointed with any of them.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:06 PM

Default Affordable OM/Concert Options?

Taking a full size guitar on an airline is a real can of worms! I often travel with a guitar. You’d better board first or you’ll be gate checking it so an excellent hard case is a requirement. Based on your guitar choices neither comes with a case that will fit that bill. Based on your budget I’d recommend a Voyage-Air. Travel friendly, good quality guitars and can be ordered with a pickup and very airline friendly.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 09-25-2018, 05:48 PM

I am a huge fan of the Taylor Academy series. The Academy 12e is awesome.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:06 PM

I can recommend the Yamaha AC3R. Personally, i think its worth the few hundred over the 1R. The pickup is much better, and you get an all solid wood guitar.

For a really good guitar, look at a NOS Furch OM20.
Could also check out one of the Eastman OMs too.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the recommendations, all! Will definitely be adding the Washburn and Recording King to the list of possibilities. Budget is ideally around $500-$700, but a little flexible... the $900 AC3r is over my upper limit, but close enough to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Taking a full size guitar on an airline is a real can of worms! I often travel with a guitar. You’d better board first or you’ll be gate checking it so an excellent hard case is a requirement. Based on your guitar choices neither comes with a case that will fit that bill. Based on your budget I’d recommend a Voyage-Air.
Don't I know it... my last few flights I had a dreadnought with me, which I don't care to repeat. Every airline's website seems to tell you one thing, then customer service tells you another if you call, then the attendant at the gate tells you a third, completely different thing... anyway, I confess I'm a little (perhaps unfairly) prejudiced against the idea of a "travel guitar," but if I get the chance to play one of these Voyage-Airs I'll give it a fair trial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I have owned the Yamaha A1R and the A3R. They were both great guitars. I preferred the A3R a little over the A1R. The pick up system on the all solid wood ones are really ex. pick ups. I think you would really be better off spending a little more and getting the AC3R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLitIScream View Post
I can recommend the Yamaha AC3R. Personally, i think its worth the few hundred over the 1R. The pickup is much better, and you get an all solid wood guitar.
For a really good guitar, look at a NOS Furch OM20.
Could also check out one of the Eastman OMs too.
The solid wood and superior pickups of the AC3R are very attractive, but beyond the price my concern is that all-solid wood might be more sensitive to humidity and temp than a solid top/laminate b&s... I worry about laying out extra for a potentially more temperamental instrument, if it won't usually be in a controlled environment.

Haven't played a Furch, but will keep an eye out. Eastman is an option as well, in theory... I've owned and returned two in the past, but it was for quality control issues, not because I didn't like them, which makes me think I was just unlucky.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Art and Lutherie Legacy, maybe? This demo shows the non-cutaway version but they have a cutaway as well.

Last edited by personatech; 09-25-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:56 PM

Love my 00 x series Martin. Not solid wood back and sides but still has great tone. HPL is pretty tough, for better or worse I keep mine out around dogs, nice not to worry too much about it. If you haven’t played a 000 or 00 x-series you really should.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 PM

The Guild OM-140 is within your budget. All solid. Hog substitute body. Bone nut, saddle and pins, 1 3/4 nut. They are very nice guitars.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I am a huge fan of the Taylor Academy series. The Academy 12e is awesome.
Played one for the first time today. Amazingly good guitar for the money.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 09-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Not sure what your budget is but you might consider something like the GS mini or the Martin Dread Jr (both under $700 I think). Both have electronics or can be fitted with them. I have heard folks play out with these and they sound great, and they are travel friendly.

If you are considering Yamahas, also take a look at the L series. They get lots of good reviews around here.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Rosewo.../dp/B00JAO2UY6

I have a relatively new Yamaha FS-TA transacoustic that is absolutely wonderful though I don't know that I'd recommend it for the rigors of travel (due to large electronic circuit board inside).
Old 09-26-2018, 10:01 AM

Maybe a used Guild GAD F-130RCE or used Guild OM-150CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion