The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-24-2018, 08:14 PM

Default New Strings on Kramster Collection

Okay, new Elixir strings, yay! I love changing strings because I feel like I am playing a new guitar, so here we go.

The X7:

OMG!!! Plugged in this matched the sound of the X10. Holy Batman! I brought my Cargo along to compare to it unplugged and they are about the same. The X7 is a quiet guitar unplugged.

X20: This is my least favorite of the Emerald bunch. It's just not as lively as the others IMHO. The B-Band pick up needs to be ditched. I believe this guitar may have some potential if you install the same pick as the X7 has.

X30: This guitar continues to blow my socks off unplugged. It's simply ridiculous. I am wondering how a graphtech would do in this guitar.

X10: Again, plugged in this guitar is amazing. The string separation is absolutely incredible, but again, the X7 plugged in matched it. Not as strong unplugged as the X30, and again I wonder if the 6 piezos mute it a bit when unplugged. Only speculating there.

***Key Note Here***

New set ups to be done on the Emerald guitars by my guy John Cotter. I believe this will make a world of difference with all of these models. So stay tuned.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 09-24-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:41 PM

X 30 still had strings that was shipped with and is still great sounding..,. X 10 has new but they are D'Addario EJ16 Lights .012-.053 PB...just sayin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-24-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I would sure expect the X30 to sound bigger than the X10, X20, or X7, since it is bigger. Alistair designs amazing guitars, but... size matters. Well, until you plug it in. My X7 is the previous model and has the B-Band pickup - smallest acoustic I own, but it just kicks when plugged in.

You and Kramster are in a unique position to be able to try and compare all these fine guitars - I will be looking forward to your observations when the set-ups are done.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:25 PM

What makes the X30 so specials is it sounds like a wood guitar unplugged. So with it's larger body, and designed to perfection, it has a nice bass with sparkly trebles. It's a joy to play! The X10 and X7 sound so awesome plugged in! I am so impressed with the improvements on the X7!

For me personally because I am small framed, I would own an Emerald if I could get that unplugged X30 sound with a smaller body. But that is a
big challenge. The X7 and my Cargo really are no different. So close! To have the beautiful color of the Emerald guitars and body design is definitely a treat! I suspect with the continued improvement in the Emeralds and more offerings in the future, I will likely own one at some point.

Again what is striking about the Emerald guitars is that what a professional craves from a top of the line luthier is available her in a CF guitar. And Kramster and I have not even had the opportunity to really explore the different settings on the X10. He explained to me tonight about the Magnetic setting and how it has to be properly set up through the right speaker, etc to get the sound you want. I would love to see that guitar in the hands of some top bands!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 09-25-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:49 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just curious...what is the actual size of an X30 compared to other guitars like Martin and Taylor vs. the size it feels/plays like given the body design/contours? My reference is an X20 which plays and feels just slightly smaller than a GA, imo. Does the X30 seem much bigger?

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-24-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:36 PM

Very interesting.Thanks for sharing this comparison. This forum is incredible.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 AM

A further comment here about set ups. They are critical. As Kramster stated on the Pre Peavey Cargo post, he was able to play things on my Cargo that he simply cannot do on other guitars because the set up is so outstanding. And, the added benefit is the incredible sound.

It would behoove Alistair to meet John Cotter as he is older and has been doing set ups for thirty years.

As I mentioned on the other post, I have not met a guitar that comes from any manufacturer that is set up properly. They are set high and "strangled."

John sets them up so that no only do they play like butter, but they sound like a completely different guitar. They sound incredible. It's that dramatic.

Alistair, meeting John is a game changer. Next time you are in the States give him a call.

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 10-08-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
He explained to me tonight about the Magnetic setting and how it has to be properly set up through the right speaker,
Electric guitar amp
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Yes, getting an "electric" pickup is only part of the sound: the amp is a big part of what makes the sound. Acoustic amps and PAs tend to not "color" the sound. A good electric amp makes a big difference. I sold my Fender Twin Reverb when we retired and moved... I miss it. I have a small modeling amp that should show off the different tones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber