The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Hi Frank,

I am no expert on Soundcloud, but the advice you have received is consistent with my experience. Record something first on your own equipment, then upload the file to your Soundcloud page.

I have learned that you get a much better sound from your Soundcloud file if you upload a wave file rather than an mp3. Soundcloud converts all your files to their own compressed standard, so if you upload an mp3, which is already compressed, it sounds pretty bad. It takes slightly longer to upload a wave file, but it sounds way better once it's on Soundcloud if you do it that way.

Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Old 01-12-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Frank,

I am no expert on Soundcloud, but the advice you have received is consistent with my experience. Record something first on your own equipment, then upload the file to your Soundcloud page.

I have learned that you get a much better sound from your Soundcloud file if you upload a wave file rather than an mp3. Soundcloud converts all your files to their own compressed standard, so if you upload an mp3, which is already compressed, it sounds pretty bad. It takes slightly longer to upload a wave file, but it sounds way better once it's on Soundcloud if you do it that way.

Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Hello my friend! Thank you for chiming in Glenn.
OK, so WAV files work better. Excellent, another piece of the puzzle gets put into place.
In the interim, I have found where finished tracks are hiding, in plain sight of course!LOL. Now I need a little time later on today to do a test track to transfer to soundcloud. I will keep you very kind folks informed of my progress.
Thank you again for you support Glenn!
Frank
Old 01-12-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If you don't put your best foot forward, it will be a really quick evaluation.

Even though I'm just a hobbyist, I have learned to restrict my uploads to my best possible sound effort at the moment, with the exception of string/guitar demos. Of course I always go back and find mistakes and think I could have done better. As a result a lot of my online file uploads get moved to "private" status
I’m sorry Barry, I missed this response before. This has been weighing on my mind.

This is my biggest fear, posting a sound clip that isn’t a good representation of my true skills.
Frank
Old 01-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Kev,
Please tell me where the share function is in this tool bar?

Attachment 31807
Oh I see the problem, looks like the GUI for the iOS app is different than on the Mac OS app

This is the GUI that opens on my Macbook

Share is in the top header bar, 6th to right of the name Garageband

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-12-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
That's how I've always done it, and understood it. It's definitely not for developing work...BandMix looks like a musician hook-up/getting groups together site. Best of luck!
Thank you Cougar! Yeah, Bandmix is a real find. My son told me about it and it is great directory of local musicians keeping live music “alive”

I have had three inquires in the last week, but all want sound clips before they continue a conversation. I can’t blame them, time is so fleeting.
Frank
Old 01-12-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Oh I see the problem, looks like the GUI for the iOS app is different than on the Mac OS app

This is the GUI that opens on my Macbook

Share is in the top header bar, 6th to right of the name Garageband

Kev I get a totally different screen on my iPad
But I did find the share, it’s in the MY SONGS page after you select an uploaded file!
Thank you again for this ongoing support,
Frank
Old 01-12-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Yes, this is how I"ve done it. Fully develop a file (ie: Wav) and then the SC site easily allows an upload.
I've heard from others that, if possible it's best to upload a Wav file, as SC does compress a file. So, you don't want to compress an already compressed Mp3 file as it would run the risk of sounding "muddy" or not its best quality.
This seems to be the consensus that WAV files are the way to go when doing these transfers.
Thank you IslandG, i need all the help i can get. Whats that saying “it takes a village to get old guys computer savvy “ Bahahaha!
Old 01-12-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
There are several recording apps available for your iPad that will upload directly to SoundCloud. GarageBand, music memos, multitrack daw.
GarageBand came loaded on my ipad so now im deep diving on how it works. I never paid attention to it and now i need it.😭
Frank
Old 01-12-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
This seems to be the consensus that WAV files are the way to go when doing these transfers.
Thank you IslandG, i need all the help i can get. Whats that saying “it takes a village to get old guys computer savvy “ Bahahaha!
You're welcome! If you get hooked....SC has various ways to get you stats on who's listening and where they are. Several levels of info which are progressively more pricey, but it's intriguing to have a handle on who is out there and listening to you! good luck!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
GarageBand came loaded on my ipad so now im deep diving on how it works. I never paid attention to it and now i need it.😭
I normally use an audio interface (focusrite scarlett) going into cubase elements, but I was messing around with garageband several years ago. It does multitracking, and interestingly it contains all these sound clips of various instruments that can be added to your composition - a drum track, for example.

As I said, I was just messing around with it and came up with this piece. Remarkably, I did not play any of the parts! (I normally play all the parts.) They were all just chosen and inserted from GB's clip menu. It was loaded to soundcloud as an mp3, so you can check the quality. It's not too bad, but as suggested, I'll be loading up wav files from now on....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Thank you Cougar! Yeah, Bandmix is a real find. My son told me about it and it is great directory of local musicians keeping live music “alive”

I have had three inquires in the last week, but all want sound clips before they continue a conversation. I can’t blame them, time is so fleeting.
Frank
Of course it is different for different areas of the country, but Bandmix is real hit-or-miss' as people do not update their profiles, don't check for private messages, etc. I was found through Bandmix for 2 different bands several years ago, but nothing has materialized since.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-13-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
I normally use an audio interface (focusrite scarlett) going into cubase elements, but I was messing around with garageband several years ago. It does multitracking, and interestingly it contains all these sound clips of various instruments that can be added to your composition - a drum track, for example.

As I said, I was just messing around with it and came up with this piece. Remarkably, I did not play any of the parts! (I normally play all the parts.) They were all just chosen and inserted from GB's clip menu. It was loaded to soundcloud as an mp3, so you can check the quality. It's not too bad, but as suggested, I'll be loading up wav files from now on....
OK, that was crazy fun! Terrific Cougar
Frank
Old 01-13-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Of course it is different for different areas of the country, but Bandmix is real hit-or-miss' as people do not update their profiles, don't check for private messages, etc. I was found through Bandmix for 2 different bands several years ago, but nothing has materialized since.
My son, he went to school in Boston and then lived there another six years, is the one who recommended this to me. He had good luck with it in bean town. I hope i have a little luck with it too.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM

A little update:

So, I’ve gotten to record guitar and voice on GarageBand, finalize the track on different page, select that track, name in, pick a format and send it to my soundcloud page. Look out! WooHoo! this is rocket science to me😂

OK, so that was recording directly into the iPad with no other gear. Sounds pretty bad I have to say.

Then I say let’s try something different.
I run a condenser mic into a mixer, getting good voice and guitar sound into the headphones from the mixer, run line to an iRig into iPad and...Nothing is going into GarageBand. Any ideas?
Old 01-14-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
A little update:

So, I’ve gotten to record guitar and voice on GarageBand, finalize the track on different page, select that track, name in, pick a format and send it to my soundcloud page. Look out! WooHoo! this is rocket science to me��

OK, so that was recording directly into the iPad with no other gear. Sounds pretty bad I have to say.

Then I say let’s try something different.
I run a condenser mic into a mixer, getting good voice and guitar sound into the headphones from the mixer, run line to an iRig into iPad and...Nothing is going into GarageBand. Any ideas?
The iRig needs to be selected as the input device in GB.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD