The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-15-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Entry level tenor banjos

I am really interested in getting myself a tenor banjo, specifically to play Irish music with, but I don't know very much about tenor banjos and which one to buy. I am looking for recommendations for tenor banjos that are more affordable.
I know the Deering Goodtime series is good. I have one of the 5 string banjos by them and I love it. I've also heard decent things about some of the Gold Tone models for being on the cheaper end.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:10 PM

Deering Goodtime 17-fret Tenor banjo.

Made in USA at the same facility that produces some of the world's most respected professional banjos.

$579 list.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:33 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I bought a Gold Tone AC-1 last summer. It has a composite pot. I can't say I've compared it with a bunch of other banjos, but it sounds pleasing, and it came perfectly set up. My only complaint is that the tuners could be better, and I'm considering replacing them. It is neck heavy, so you really need a strap, but I have a simple cloth strap with plastic clips, and it's fine. I also added an arm rest.

There is a tenor model, AC-4. For about $200, I think you would do well.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:12 PM

I'd scope out garage/estate sales and thrift shops, especially if you're in/near a region of the country with a past history of polka/oompah bands - once in a while Great-Grandpa's Jazz-Age instrument can be had for less than the price of a Goodtime or Gold Tone, and if it still has the original (or nearly so) skin head you've got the quintessential Irish banjo; in addition, sometimes music stores (who should know better) have either a piece of NOS or something taken in in trade, that they're looking to get out of inventory as quickly as possible. FYI I scored both my tenors this way: a circa-1920 Weymann open-back (with original friction pegs and skin head) that I keep in Irish GDAE tuning, and a '94 Deering Boston that set me back all of $300 w/OHSC (new ones go for over $2K today) in the early-2K's at Sam Ash in Brooklyn; the latter is set up in drop-G tenor uke tuning and has been my go-to since day one - extremely versatile (overlaps the fiddle/mando/5-string ranges so it's an excellent lead instrument for just about any acoustic genre - I even fingerpick it on occasion), just slightly less loud than John Force's nitro funny car (this one'll easily dominate any seisiun, no matter how rowdy), and thanks to the steel body it breaks the First Commandment of banjo by holding its tune under virtually any conditions...
Old 06-15-2021, 09:14 PM

The heavy-body 1920s Gibson shoe-and-plate banjos: TB 1 and 2. I put a Clayton (Eric Sullivan) Pyramid tone ring in mine, and it's off-the-charts good. You can just leave it alone and it's still better than most other choices. Price range $500- $1,000.

Diamond flange, hex flange, or ribbon flange.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16490247691...8AAOSwHDdgjK66

Last edited by H165; 06-19-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:44 AM

Default Smakula

I'd check out Smakula fretted lnstruments. He has a number of tenor banjos ranging from $175 to $700. He's a banjo expert, not emphasizing tenors but he's honest and would be happy to interact with you. My experience with the tenor might help - I bought a no name tenor on bay without a tail piece, bridge, or strings. I put it together only to find that the action was way too high. I found a $300 tenor by Tommy George on Banjo Hangout, it was a lefty and I had it converted. It's a great banjo. Smakula can help you avoid getting a lemon. Banjo hangout is also a good place to look, and if it's a vintage instrument a luthier can be a lot of help. There are so many vintage tenors out there that you can get a really good deal.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:08 PM

I'm just not sure a second-hand instrument is such a good idea for a person who says "I don't know very much about tenor banjos".

Not sure a really heavy banjo is the ideal instrument to start out with either.

The Deering Goodtime 17 weighs ~four pounds. FWIW I consider that a positive selling point.

Last edited by frankmcr; 06-16-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

I'm confused by some of the recommendations here. Isn't a tenor banjo a short scale four-string banjo?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 06-19-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdy_Daddy View Post
I am really interested in getting myself a tenor banjo, specifically to play Irish music with, but I don't know very much about tenor banjos and which one to buy. I am looking for recommendations for tenor banjos that are more affordable.
I know the Deering Goodtime series is good. I have one of the 5 string banjos by them and I love it. I've also heard decent things about some of the Gold Tone models for being on the cheaper end.
Good-condition 1920s-era Vega Tenor Tubaphone model banjos can be had in the $1000 to $1300 range.

There recently were two Vega Tenors my favorite local instrument shop and it looks like there's still one remaining.

Gibson Style 2 tenor 1926
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-19-2021 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Isn't a tenor banjo a short scale four-string banjo?
Yep.

"... Irish Tenor Banjo is the playing of Irish traditional tunes using a 4-string, 19-fret, resonator banjo tuned GDAE, with a pick/plectrum."

The no-tone-ring 1920s Gibson tenors are WAY lighter than the later tone-ring and Mastertone models.

I MUCH prefer a coordinaor rod banjo over a wood stick ("perch pole") banjo. Much easier to adjust and set up. These include the old Gibsons, the old Epiphone Mayfair (NOT the new 5-string), the Epi-made Glee, and the dirt-cheap Epi Astor:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17479593264...&ul_noapp=true

But. if you gotta have a "stick" banjo, Paramount gets pretty good respect. It's too bad this old Paramount needs a new neck. The Brazilian rosewood models are harder to find than the blonde models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28347598529...AAAOSwq5Fc0IoG

Last edited by H165; 06-19-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 09:23 AM

I'm Irish, and a longtime tenor banjo player, playing Irish trad music - I wouldn't write off getting a good vintage banjo if it's been gone over and set up by someone familiar with GDAE playing on tenor banjos - you might check out this website, all the banjos Dan sells have been thoroughly gone over and set up for optimal playing in GDAE tuning:

https://tradbanjo.com/collections/banjos

FYI if you email Dan, who runs it, he may have other banjos that he's restoring that will be ready to go soon, but just not on the website yet.

Some of the Gold Tone tenors are decent for the money but as with many things that are imported, they may be in low stock, or dealers may have limited models on offer.

If you're going for the Deering Good Time I highly recommend getting a 19 fret model, rather than the 17 fret model. In Ireland even small kids play 19 fret models, you rarely see folks playing 17 fret tenors, but for some reason in the States there seems to be the impression that for Irish music you need a 17 fret banjo. You'll get much better tone with 19 frets, and it's easier to find string sets, cases etc.

Also, if you're new to playing irish tunes then Enda Scahill's (We Banjo 3) Sound Slice online course is great value for the money:

https://www.soundslice.com/users/EndaScahill/

Last edited by packmule; 06-22-2021 at 09:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Tags
banjo, irish, tenor