The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2021, 04:09 PM

Default Mystery buzz on high E string

My Furch has developed a very subtle high pitched buzz on the high E string. Shows up with stronger strumming/picking. Primarily around frets 9-12. I adjusted the truss rod a bit but didn't really change anything. Brought it into my local store who has a fantastic tech with 30+ years experience (and a great guitarist as well). Did a slight adjustment to truss rod, but says setup is spot on. Frets are all flat. Action is perfect awesome. He thinks it might not be fret buzz and is coming from the saddle. Suggested a light polish of the saddle with an emory board to sharped up the edge. Thinks it might be buzzing of the string where it's worn into the saddle a bit. Guitar was bought new last November. I'm going to give it a try next time I change strings. Anyone else have something similar?
Old 06-12-2021, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Similar experience a few times. Pretty normal for the string saddle contact point to wear in a groove or get a little chip. However that usually affects the sound of an open string and when fretting on any of the frets up and down the neck.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 06-12-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 04:41 PM

Try cleaning the string. Use lighter fluid.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis66 View Post
Try cleaning the string. Use lighter fluid.
Brand new strings didn’t fix it.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:36 AM

There is an inexpensive device called the “String Rocker”. It can help you find low or high frets anywhere on the neck.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

I cut four lengths of aluminum bar stock. Sand and polish them flat using a piece of plate glass as a surface. Somewhere on the net there is the lengths. $4.00 total.

The phantom buzz is a very vexing problem. Once you hear it, it will drive you nuts. Tighten any tuner screws you might have too. Sometimes you can lightly clean up your nut slots. Take a magnifying glass and inspect where the string leaves the saddle. There should be nothing but air in front.

By far the most common problem I've had is the natural movement of new wood to settle in, and create a hump where neck connects the body, but your luthier says your frets are flat. My mandolin has developed this twice in three years. I've had to level the frets both times.

The more I've had frets leveled, by myself or others, the better the action has been. It's become a religion. It gives you that last 5% of good action, and a very clean tone.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-16-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
There is an inexpensive device called the “String Rocker”. It can help you find low or high frets anywhere on the neck.
Not a fret issue. I have a fret rocker and checked. So did my tech. Frets are perfect.
Old 06-16-2021, 01:48 PM

Does the guitar have electronics? Could be a wire vibrating against something at certain frequencies.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 06-16-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The phantom buzz is a very vexing problem. Once you hear it, it will drive you nuts. Tighten any tuner screws you might have too.
EVERY time I've had a persistent buzz or rattle it's been caused by a loose tuner button. The glued-on ones can work loose as well as screwed on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion