The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-27-2021, 12:44 PM

Default Daddario Classical Strings

Holy cow! I was just at the Daddario classical strings site and the choices seem endless.

Even within the categories, there are more categories.
Carbon, XT, Dynacore, XT Dynacore, Composite, rectified trebles (?), lightly polished, composite core lightly polished, polished, silver plated copper, titanium nylon, silver wrap, nylon core 80/20 bronze, hybrid carbon, black trebles.
I feel like I need a degree in string theory.
Has anyone tried all of these?
https://www.daddario.com/products/gu...ssical-guitar/
Old 05-27-2021, 03:04 PM

I've tried Pro-Arte Nylon, XT-Nylon and Dynacore Titanium Trebles, all in hard tension. By far my favorite are the Titanium Trebles. They tune up very quickly, they stay in tune and the last time I used them they lasted at least 6 months at about 1 hour per day playing. I think they are far superior to the Pro-Arte Nylons. Very nice tone with a lot of snap and punch with the trebles.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 05-27-2021, 03:15 PM

Thanks Larry, I'll have to try the Dynacore Titanium trebles.
Anyone else have any insights?
Old 05-27-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noto View Post
Thanks Larry, I'll have to try the Dynacore Titanium trebles.
Anyone else have any insights?
I'm more of a nylon person. Having great results from EJ-46 with a Knobloch CX Actives Carbon 3rd string. Sounds great on my two GV Rubio guitars.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:00 PM

As Dogsnax said, but I use the slightly lower tension EJ45 nylon trebles w/ the
Knobloch 3rd. Tried many treble strings over the years and always come back
to these. YMMV though.

Last edited by Carey; 05-28-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
As Dogsnax said, but I use the slightly lower tension EJ45 nylon trebles w/ the
Knobloch 3rd. Tried many treble string over the years and always come back
to these. YMMV though.
EJ-45s are excellent and I've had great results with them over the years. Seems my Rubio guitars sound their best with a bit higher tension. Different guitars respond differently to different strings!

From my experience, D'Addario strings in general are very consistent and the quality control is excellent.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:52 AM
Guest 928

I've tried a number of the various options and have reached only one general conclusion--I prefer the normal tension strings. The hard tension strings may produce more volume but, to my ear, they begin to move toward a steel string sound, are not as mellow.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:53 AM

Thank you for the replies so far.
Dogsnax and Carey, in what way does the Knobloch 3rd affect the sound/feel/intonation etc?

I've been using EJ45 & Ej46s for many years and lately the EJ51 Recording Strings but have not ventured into Titanium trebles or Knobloch Gs or the previously mentioned:
Carbon, XT, Dynacore, XT Dynacore, Composite, rectified trebles (?), lightly polished, composite core lightly polished, polished, silver plated copper, , nylon core 80/20 bronze, hybrid carbon, black trebles.

I just Googled the rectified trebles that are supposed to be warmer sounding and truer in pitch. They might be worth an attempt as well!
Old 05-28-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
Different guitars respond differently to different strings!
From my experience, D'Addario strings in general are very consistent and the quality control is excellent.
I agree with all those points.
I seem to gravitate towards the hard tension strings. There are no right or correct answers. It's up to the player and guitar what sounds best.
Personally I like plain vanilla clear nylon trebles (like the J46's) for best warmth and projection and don't go for the newer stuff.
I have some Hannabach 900 series (Medium/High tension) clear nylon trebles on one guitar now and they sound terrific. Full bodied warmth. Just like I like them.
Quote:
I just Googled the rectified trebles that are supposed to be warmer sounding and truer in pitch. They might be worth an attempt as well!
Yes, experiment! It's the only way to find out if they work for you.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-28-2021, 02:48 PM

> in what way does the Knobloch 3rd affect the sound/feel/intonation etc? <

It can act closer to being a theoretical "perfect string" than a thicker-by-necessity nylon 3rd can, and there are a bunch of things going on in that part of the range (on many/most guitars; not all) that can make that an issue. A carbon third sounds less "flubby" or "tubby" than a nylon one on my guitar. Intonation depends on the setup of the guitar, for the most part, though it's
affected by the things mentioned above as well.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
EJ-45s are excellent and I've had great results with them over the years. Seems my Rubio guitars sound their best with a bit higher tension. Different guitars respond differently to different strings!

I think (cannot prove, but definitely think) they have a purer, center-of-the-note fundamental than most strings. Not the liveliest string for sure, but the best compromise I've found so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical