The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-17-2021, 06:42 PM

Default Shimming the nut? - Composite Acoustics

Long time no post

So my CA acoustic I had in for some work recently. To say I am unhappy is to be an understatement.

The low end strings were supposed to get the action lowered slightly and the tech was suppose to correct a buzz on the G string when it was played open.

When I got it back today the buzz is still there, the top strings do appear to be ever so slightly lower, but it seems that process introduced a buzz in the High E string at the 2nd fret.

So can I just shim the dang nut and be done? Or at least as a temporary measure?

I am going to call peavey and attempt to order a new nut and probably saddle and just start over. However my CA is a pre Peavey and I do not know if they have changed anything about the Player X model to where those nuts/saddles will no longer work.

I am hoping to use a precut one but I imagine the uncut one would give me enough material to work with and teach me about cutting nut slots haha.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Here's my shimmed nut, works great. This is an inexpensive guitar
that got a big setup including a neck reset... maybe the luthier did
this because it was fine, easy and cost effective, Ida know... but I
don't think getting a new nut should cost all that much...

-Mike
Old 05-18-2021, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

You may want to try and raise your nut slots using the super glue method. I do not know the correct procedure or materials to use, but I'm sure the "how to" is available on youtube
Old 05-18-2021, 09:04 AM
Guest 928

You might try contacting Michael at MacNichol Guitars in Salt Lake. He did a lot of work with the early Composite Acoustics and might have what you need.
Old 05-18-2021, 09:10 AM

I can understand that you would not trust this tech anymore, but shouldn't he be the one fixing this?

In case you want to try something different, I recently had good results with the Gold Tone zero glide nut.
They come in different sizes and maybe one of those will fit a CA. If not you can even have one made to your custom specs, at extra charge of course.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 05-18-2021, 11:07 AM

I was going to suggest a Zero Glide as well. Really easy install if you follow the directions and take your time. PM me if you have any questions about it, I have one installed on my Journey carbon guitar and like it quite a bit.

Here is a video example of the Zero Glide on a CA Cargo, and as Evan mentioned, a good contact would be Michael Stone formally the owner of MacNichol Guitars. He still sells nuts and saddles even though the store front closed in 2014. Great guy and could point you in the right direction even if he doesn't have the nut you need.

If you refuse to allow the tech to touch your guitar again (and you opt to not go with a Zero Glide) I would also highly recommend purchasing a digital caliper. you can use your caliper to measure the current string spacing on your guitar and using those precision measurements find a replacement in your material of choice. In other words, it is much easier to sand down the bottom and sides of a new nut than it is to make slots yourself. That is work I wouldn't trust myself to do and I've work on my own guitars all the time

Old 05-18-2021, 12:50 PM

Should or should not do the work myself is subjective. There is only one way to learn how to do this and that is to do it But I also get the point about it

I have contacted Michael before about parts and his reply indicated he did not have anything that was a match to CA models anymore.

I will look into zero glide.

I have a set of calipers but they are not digital. Will look into that.

I have already tried the baking soda and super glue trick and that failed. In fact the tech who just worked on my guitar did that very thing. G string buzz is still very much present.

And as for making the tech fix it, yea I probably should but I really have no desire to do so. My dealings with that store have been they simply either have no real idea of customer service or they just don't care. Which I run into in a lot of music stores. They just don't seem to care much about good customer service. And Mr Tech guy will just tell me well that is the risk you run when trying to lower the action without a truss rod in the guitar.

And given that he did not apparently have the skill or take the time for what should have been according to him relatively simple task why should I trust him to fix it? I would rather just take my lumps and my business elsewhere.

I have however let the shop itself no of my dissatisfaction with the service.

This is still the original nut and saddle which as I understand it are also carbon fiber. How much would switching to say Tusq effect the tone?

And THANK YOU Much for all the replies. They are much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:13 PM

Update: Said guitar store called me after I messaged them about it. We shall see if they can actually fix it. I suspect it will take a new nut at this point.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:02 PM

Graphtech is an industry standard for Original Equipment and for replacement/switch. There's a big selection of pre-cut and blank nuts and saddles. Available in stores and online for similar cost to a pack of strings. Well known to guitar techs.

Website has a selection guide, and rapid response to email questions about which part to use on your guitar.

Graphtech tutorial - PDF manual and videos:
www.graphtorial.com

PS: I don't have nut files or skills to tackle nut slots, so if DIY is needed I'd go with Zero Glide.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 05-18-2021, 04:23 PM

Maybe www.graphtechtorial.com
Old 05-18-2021, 06:42 PM

the store ended up calling me. So we shall see. Allowing then to do more that needs to be done. Still expensive but when it comes back it should have a new nut, 5 new frets, rest of the frets crowned, and a lovely k&k sound fantastix undersaddle to replace the one that was in it.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I was going to suggest a Zero Glide as well. Really easy install if you follow the directions and take your time. PM me if you have any questions about it, I have one installed on my Journey carbon guitar and like it quite a bit.
Huh – learn something new every day. If the linked video is accurate, it seems like the Zero Glide can make a noticeable difference and may be a veritable bargain. Thank you for bringing it up.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
Huh – learn something new every day. If the linked video is accurate, it seems like the Zero Glide can make a noticeable difference and may be a veritable bargain. Thank you for bringing it up.
I've a zero glide installed on my (non-carbon) flattop. I'm a fan, but I don't think they make a huge difference for tone - possibly on open strings if you have a low-quality or too high nut. But I really like them for how they play and feel. And no sticky tuning. I really don't know why more guitars aren't built with them.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 05-26-2021, 09:57 AM

well I got it back. Ended up doing a partial refret, new tusq nut and a recrown of the remaining frets.

its better but there are still issues. At first blush it appears that for my play style the action was lowered a tad to much.There is still some buzzing but I need to track down if its buzzing on the frets or something inside the body. Sometimes it sounds as if the buzz is coming from towards the saddle. I will figure it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber