The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-18-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
hmmm. I think it'll order a set of the monels and see how they compare to the plectrums. Certainly a lot less $. Had tried the monels on one or two of my wood guitars but didn't care for them. Never tried on the CF.

thanks for the topic.
I will be interested in your impressions. You have me almost talked into trying the plectrums on my recent X7 but will shift to monels if that seems a good idea. Liked EXP's (that it shipped with) but not so much the newer XT and currently trying DR Bluegrass, which I like and hope hold up.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:59 AM

I don't have a parlor, but I do have a Shorty (OM size) and after riding on the string-go-round for quite a few years have settled on the Retros for that one. I like the fact that once they've settled in I have a consistent feel and tone that lasts for months. I normally change strings every other month on my acoustics, but a set of retros on this one will go half a year with little perceptible change in tone.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I will be interested in your impressions. You have me almost talked into trying the plectrums on my recent X7 but will shift to monels if that seems a good idea. Liked EXP's (that it shipped with) but not so much the newer XT and currently trying DR Bluegrass, which I like and hope hold up.
I'd suggest you try the plectrums. The richness they brought out kind of blew me away. I have a friend with Rainsong 12 fret OM and he switched to them as well. I'd certainly be interested what you thought.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 03-23-2021, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I'd suggest you try the plectrums. The richness they brought out kind of blew me away. I have a friend with Rainsong 12 fret OM and he switched to them as well. I'd certainly be interested what you thought.
OK, OK I will try them, probably on next string change (which I am hoping the DR's I put on last week hold up a while - so far I am liking them more than any other of the few sets this guitar has needed so far).
Old 05-24-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I finally got to these strings (by way of DR rare, which I liked quite a lot). Only in their first day, so nothing on longevity, but some first impressions:

never have I put on a set of strings so...different from all the others I have tried. First off, the tuner app I use to get close to in tune had trouble identifying the note. I think these are casting off some harmonics that confused the tuner (though not the headstock one so much) and make for a very rich tone (my wife said it sounded like more than one guitar).

Next, finger feel: *very* noticeable decrease in string tension and just amazingly easy to play.

Noticeably reduced bottom (especially E) is not a bad thing for this guitar.

Maybe a little quieter but not much, just a certain...softness, I guess, to the tone.

Bottom line, if they hold up reasonably well I may well be a convert despite the cost. Are there other silk inlay strings that might compete?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber