The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 AM

You guys have inspired me to bring out my wood guitars again. That and we need a electric rhythm in a song Sunday. Wood hybrid.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 AM

Do we stray from the OP? Hmmmm?

Has carbon ruined me for playing wood? No, never. But wood has not ruined me for playing carbon fiber either. Having said that, let me explain. There are many points that are always brought up in these discussions and many have to do with the durability of the carbon guitars. How great they are as "beaters" and travel guitars.
I bought mine for the tone (perhaps sound it the better word) that it produces (when I play it correctly..ha!). I say the same thing about the Taylor that I own, and the same for every guitar that I have owned in the past. Why would I buy something that I don't really care for (the sound) because it's durable? TO ME, that makes no sense at all. If I wanted something that was durable I would be want to have an aluminum guitar made.
Let me assure you that I am not a master at this guitar playing in any manner, but I do know when I hear something I like in the sound that a guitar makes. The Rainsong makes a sound that I like. It's that simple. I understand all the other advantages, but it is the sound that makes an instrument good or bad for myself. I am a sucker for bling also, but if it does not please me sound wise...it's not going to be coming home with me.
Call me old fashioned (and I AM old!) but is always going to be about the sound. Some of these carbon instruments are every bit as nice as wood instruments, just listen to them...stop looking...listen.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I've found owning CF has almost completely cured me of wanting wood acoustics. The only exception to this would be a Taylor custom shop 12 fret, but that ain't happening!

I wish someone could duplicate my Tacoma ABGs in CF!

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 AM

Can't find my hybrid in carbon either?
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
No. Not even close.

Ed
I'm with Ed.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 PM

Ted this hurts!
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
and my wood electric basses still get the job done just fine (and don't require any serious care or maintenance).

You know you want it.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZeus View Post
Short answer: No.

I have a Rainsong Shorty that I bought for durability and a "good" sound. But for pure tone I always go for one of my Martins.

For a guitar that I can leave laying around, out of its case 24/7or take to camp, (and that I don't might the tone of) I always leave the Rainsong out...

But it has no way ruined me for the sound of some wood guitars.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Yes. I'll never buy a wooden guitar again, unless I strike it rich. They're too worrisome.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM

Never....
Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
Yes. I'll never buy a wooden guitar again, unless I strike it rich. They're too worrisome.
I share your opinion. There are just too many great carbon guitars out there. There are 2 threads going on right now in the general discussion area regarding humidity (as winter's approaching), and it boggles my mind the lengths that some people go to to protect their guitars.

If you're spending more time caring for your guitars than playing them, there's a problem.

I love the sound of my Shorty. My next guitar will probably be a GXi.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
On a recent post about innovation someone posted that Carbon Fiber guitars have caused him to loose all interest in wood ones. I never really thought about this given I have and had some nice wood guitars and simply love the look of figured wood like koa. A full koa was a ebay search for me for quite a while but to be honest now I really have lost all interest in wood guitars. Gave my 1939 Gibson J100 Centennial to my son last year for Christmas. He was thrilled but I never played it anymore. I guess I am one that is having trouble going both ways as well.
Having thought about this for a while, I have to say no. I have a 1996 Collings 12 fret 000 that I purchased new at that time. As much as I like my Cargos, there is just something about "real" wood and music. I have thought about getting rid of the Collings from time to time, but then I take it out and play it. This is one of the reasons I don't buy the "sounds like wood" that gets tossed around from time to time about CA Guitars. I could accept "sounds kinda like wood".

In August, my wife bought me a harp in appreciation for having paid off the mortgage early and built up our retirement over the years so we really can retire sooner than later. This was not a GAS moment on my part - she decided I needed a harp. I am talking a "real" harp - Lyon and Healy Prelude 40 - 40 strings and it looks magnificent in our living room:

http://www.lyonhealy.com/lever-prelude.htm

It sounds truly wonderful with its pedal tension strings and spacing, even though it is a lever harp. We got it substantially less than the price mentioned on the Lyon and Healy page, even though it was brand new. Again, there is just something about wood. You can get an all-carbon full sized harp these days, but I would just prefer a wood instrument when it comes to a harp.

So, to me, wood and carbon fiber instruments are not mutually exclusive. Both have their place and I certainly don't expect either type to disappear from the market any time soon.

Tony
Old 11-01-2012, 03:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

No, CF hasn't ruined my taste for wood. To me, it's all about a best fit for varying needs.

It took a long time, but my '02 Taylor 814ce finally 'opened-up' to be the guitar I hoped it would be. So, it's my #1 (again). It's a keeper. A bit of a pain to keep it humidified and tweaked, but it's worth it 'cause it plays, sounds and looks great.

My '08 CA Cargo perfectly fits as my travel guit and couch noodler (it just hugs so well in tight sitting spaces).

My '08 CA GXi (full-size version of the Cargo but with a unique tone all its own) bumped my Taylor for three years as my main player. It's now for sale to help fund an Emerald 6/12 doubleneck.

My other wood guit a '79 Ibanez, was my first, but it's essentially retired.

I love my Strats, but I don't play them much and haven't for quite some time.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
My next guitar will probably be a GXi.
Hi Chunky. Can I help you with this? No need to reply, just couldn't help but reply to you given that mine's for sale.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM

I've owned a Yairi (spelling?) and an Olson but sold them both. (Yes, the Olson's sound was as near to perfect as I've ever heard.)

I now have an old wood travel guitar with a solid top that has warped and the bridge has lifted that I'll keep only because no one would ever buy it. Wasn't cheap new but humidity changes have taken their toll. It's still playable--just.

I have a tiny Guitalele I'm experimenting with, but I wish it wasn't wood.

Beyond that, I have an Emerald which I love for it's sound and features. I will never buy another wood guitar. No need at all.

Reading the current thread on humidity control and keeping guitars out on stands--just reinforces and confirms the decision I made a few years ago to abandon wood altogether.

I still enjoy the sound of some wood guitars and am quite happy to let others buy them, play them and feed and nurture them endlessly. It's just not for me. Carbon has shown me a different path that is worthy and makes sense--and I love it, have moved on, and have not looked back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber