The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-24-2019, 07:28 AM

Eyesore,

Have you also searched for YouTube reviews? Not always the best, but sometimes you can find some interesting comparisons.

Here is the first of a three part series that compares 6 x 5w tube amps (for example) including the Bugera. Not sure if this kind of thing is helpful but here you go:

Good luck in your search, and interested to hear which amp you select.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:49 PM

Default Cleans

It depends how loud you like to play your "home" amp. Tubes really start to sing when you can turn them up a bit. It's close to twice your budget, but IMO a Princeton Reverb makes a great home amp. Then again, you'll be less likely to find yourself wanting to upgrade a year or two down the road than if you spend $500 now.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:32 PM

I love my 65 PRRI. But as noted above, it is closer to $1k.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:31 PM

I'd love a princeton reverb !!!! i just can't justify or afford it. have not checked you tube videos yet of amp demos. i wonder if the Bugera would take a Boss delay pedal well...?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
... i wonder if the Bugera would take a Boss delay pedal well...?
It would, but to me it's the sonic equivalent of putting ketchup on a perfectly-done filet mignon - the real beauty of these highly-addictive little boxes is the sweet tones you can achieve with only guitar-cable-amp - and IME once you hear how you really sound minus the gadgetry, you'll not only start refining your technique accordingly but likely as not you'll never get back on the stompbox train...
Old 05-24-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'd love a princeton reverb !!!! i just can't justify or afford it. have not checked you tube videos yet of amp demos. i wonder if the Bugera would take a Boss delay pedal well...?
There is a lot of love on this forum for the Princeton Reverb. Unfortunately, probably a little challenging to find a used one in your price range.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:20 AM

Do a tad of research and study of old simple circuits and there are phenomenal odd balls that are cheap and more than adequate for home use...infact they are jaw droppingly great.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 05-25-2019 at 01:23 AM. Reason: too long
Old 05-25-2019, 04:59 AM

Don't leave out the Peavey Classic Series or my fav the Peavey Delta Blues, best bang for the buck. (IMO of course)
Old 05-25-2019, 08:16 AM

I haven't seen it mentioned, but if you can find a Peavey Valveking Royal 8 it might prove to meet your needs. It's a 5 watt class A tube amp, and it has BOTH a volume and gain control so you can turn up the grit and still have the amp at a nice bedroom volume level.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...veking-royal-8
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
I don't use delay but I use Tremolo, Compression and a dual OD pedal (EH Hot Wax) and my V5 interacts great with every pedal i throw at it.

I do agree w/Steve that this CAN be used as a "simple plug 'n play" amp, but for me, I have to use OD and distortion to get Santana, AC/DC and Green Day tones at levels that can be played in small venues.

FWIW, I have owned dozens of tube amps over the years including a real '57 Champ and a '58 Gibson GA-18T, Kalamazoo Model 1, Silvertone 1482, Alamo Jet & Challenger and many others.

I like the Bugera better than any of the other small 5 watters i have owned. My .02

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-25-2019, 10:34 AM

I bought a 1980 Blackface Deluxe Reverb from some guy named Brondel. I keep it in the living room. The Tele is next to it on the Lazy Boy.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Traynor has some nice offerings. They're made just outside Toronto in Pickering. You don't hear too much about them in the US but they have a great history. If you see one you should give it a try. There's a mix of cleaner sounding amps as well as more modern sounding as well.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 PM

About 6 months ago I got a Bassbreaker 7 head and a 12 inch Blackstar cabinet, both on christmas discounts ... I wanted a head+cab so I could try many cabs, but for the price paid it's great. I only use it at home and I use an hx effects with it (which as new cost more than the amp+cab). 7 tube watts are certainly loud enough for home
Old 05-25-2019, 01:38 PM

I like guitar straight to amp when I can play loud enough to break it up. But in my condo basement I need effects to get the sound I want at an acceptable volume. I use an EP Booster before my Bassbreaker both as a boost alone to add a bit of crunch, or with other effects to make up for signal loss. Seems to work well.

I can only turn it to about 2 though.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 05-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

The Laney Cub 12R is a pretty nice little tube powered amp. It comes in at just under $500. There is a Monoprice version that is even less for basically the same amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars