The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Mic for guitar

I play a couple of 12 string guitars and a 12 string banjo, all of which have a pu system (banjo - barcus berry, older 12 string - older K&K trinity and newer 12 string K&K power duo). I bought a Grace Design Felix in order to have the flexibility to tweak the sound and at some point purchase an instrument mic to blend into the mix (except I prefer the banjo to just use the mic). I’m now at the point where I am looking for some instrument mic options .... so I’d like to keep the cost under $400 ..... what recommendations do you have ..... TIA
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-20-2019, 07:16 PM

I asked my buddy who owns a studio this same question a few months back and he highly recommended a Roswell Mini K47 which was in the same price range you have. I bought one last week but haven't tried it yet. The reviews for acoustic guitar are very favorable...

https://roswellproaudio.com/products/mini-k47
Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM

I frickin' love my KSM137.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:23 PM

For performance, I really like my Audix i5s. I've never been tempted to find something 'better'.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 PM

If you have phantom power, the Sennheiser e 914 is pretty sweet. Retails for around $370 typically, however there are some new, open box with full 10 year warranty on ebay right now for around $160. A steal in my opinion. I have one on the way to me right now. Couldn't pass it up at that price.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity13 View Post
I asked my buddy who owns a studio this same question a few months back and he highly recommended a Roswell Mini K47 which was in the same price range you have. I bought one last week but haven't tried it yet. The reviews for acoustic guitar are very favorable...

https://roswellproaudio.com/products/mini-k47
Love my Roswell Mini K47 as a recording mic. It wouldn't be a good choice for live performance if that's what the OP is looking for.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Yes live performance is what I am looking at - thanks for asking!
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 PM
Eric Skye

I did a few shows in California last weekend and I was able to borrow a friends Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina for a couple shows so I wouldn't have to travel with my mic, and I thought it was really great. I was plenty loud for two medium size well attended rooms. Plus it looks pretty cool. Might be able to find it used at that price. I've using an AKG 451 a lot this year for gigs too.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Love my Roswell Mini K47 as a recording mic. It wouldn't be a good choice for live performance if that's what the OP is looking for.
You're absolutely right....I should've read the OP more carefully...Mini K47 is meant for recording
Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
I bought a Grace Design Felix in order to have the flexibility to tweak the sound and at some point purchase an instrument mic to blend into the mix (except I prefer the banjo to just use the mic). I’m now at the point where I am looking for some instrument mic options .... so I’d like to keep the cost under $400 ..... what recommendations do you have ..... TIA
I'm playing shows and events for Taylor Guitars Europe and I use a DPA 4099G Core small diaphragm condenser mic. The 4099 series mics are directly attached to the instrument and need no stand. They move with the instrument and are always in the desired position. It is very neutral, doesn't color the sound of your guitar, is resistant to feedback and easy to use. It's a bit east of your budget, but it's worth considering.

There are different solutions for attaching the mic to an instrument, but you could use the guitar clip with a banjo.

Here I'm using my DPA mics in a very noisy situation, with simultanious music from three different stages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqkkzunNwlw

Last edited by stringbound; 05-21-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I've using an AKG 451 a lot this year for gigs too.
I think that would be the cream of the crop in the OP's price range.

That said, there are a TON of mics at half your budget or less that would do a VERY nice job.

Just a few:

Audix ADX51
Blue Encore 300
sE electronics SE8
Audio Technica AT4041

Lots of others too....these are just the best ones I've used personally.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I think that would be the cream of the crop in the OP's price range.

That said, there are a TON of mics at half your budget or less that would do a VERY nice job.

Just a few:

Audix ADX51
Blue Encore 300
sE electronics SE8
Audio Technica AT4041

Lots of others too....these are just the best ones I've used personally.
This guy mics.

I had SM81s for a few years and was kinda disappointed with the sound (kind of 'hard') - especially with how large they are. I had an AT2021 for a short while and really did not like it at all, hated it.

I'm also not a fan of SM57s - hard to position because of proximity effect and not very good rejection, also needs a lot of gain, I think the Audix i5 is better.

The KSM137 has a pretty high signal to noise ratio - 80db (and low self noise - 14db) which is good for live (the se8 is one db better, the rest are in the mid or low 70's.)

Last edited by Shredmaster007; 05-21-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 AM

All the cool kids use the Ear Trumpet Edwina, which not only sounds great, but is great looking too. Great for fairly close vocal (12-16 inches) and acoustic instruments, it is a medium diaphragm condenser. I am speaking as one of the cool kids...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Way out of the OP's price range, (way out of my price range, too) but just in case anyone might be interested, in the "Beware the pickup trap" thread, another forum member opined:

Check out the Ocean Way Audio RM1-B

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...splay.php?f=16
Old 05-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Guest 829

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
I'm playing shows and events for Taylor Guitars Europe and I use a DPA 4099G Core small diaphragm condenser mic. The 4099 series mics are directly attached to the instrument and need no stand. They move with the instrument and are always in the desired position. It is very neutral, doesn't color the sound of your guitar, is resistant to feedback and easy to use. It's a bit east of your budget, but it's worth considering.

There are different solutions for attaching the mic to an instrument, but you could use the guitar clip with a banjo.

Here I'm using my DPA mics in a very noisy situation, with simultanious music from three different stages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqkkzunNwlw
I had the exact same DPA mic and it was truly awful and it was on a Taylor 410 It produces feedback that I couldn’t control despite trying all sorts via a desk, amp and combination of both. I have a friend who has one and his doesn’t feedback but he struggles to get the volume up before it does feedback. It seems that some people get great results from this mic but others don’t. I sent mine back. That said I know it’s an industry standard piece of kit and maybe I just got something wrong, although I don’t think I did.

What I found was that I couldn’t get the volume either and the gain on the desk had to be really low. When it fed back I couldn’t adjust the EQ to get rid.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification