The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-19-2019, 06:09 PM

Default Stuck a Lyric in my Bourgeois

I'm a little late to the party, everybody has already loved the Lyric, then hated it and then moved on to the next thing...but I hadn't tried it yet. I had to get it out of my system & finally got one today & installed it in a Bourgeois Dread, myself...frightening enough. A minimum of cursing. It's pretty freaking close. It feels good playing it. I mean I get the midrange thing that some complain about, that is indeed challenging. There's a bit of the mic inside a guitar thing going on but it's so close to being really good I think. I wish it was a little 'wider' sounding. Still trying to figure out what's up with it. I don't know I'll probably try Dual Sourcing it with something before I pull it. Anyway, I don't officially hate it yet.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Impressive playing and impressive tone.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-20-2019, 05:53 AM

Hey thanks Jon! It's got possibilities maybe. It remains to be seen if I can get away with it on a stage with a band/drummer.
I think I might be able to for the type of stuff I'd be using it for....or not.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 AM

The tune was great! That recording sounds pretty representative of what a lot of us hear with the Lyric. It’s better than a pickup in terms of definition and air, but a bit challenging to EQ. You can solder a a second source that will be available on the ring contact on the jack, assuming you have a two channel preamp or mixer. I had one guitar where the Lyric installation sounded amazing. I sold the guitar like a dummy. Since then, I get mostly mids when I install Lyric. I suspect each capsule is a little different.

In terms of feedback, after Sturgil Simpson switched to the Lyric, he used a sound hole plug when playing with his band.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 AM

Is that recording direct? I am guessing it is.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-20-2019, 07:29 AM

Hey thanks! Yeah, I have a Sunrise & M1 Passive laying around & as much as I like Mags for some stuff I was trying to stay away from that on this guitar but I'll probably try that. I've read a ton of these threads, I know K&K could be paired. That's one PU I've yet to try. I'm not feeling like I'm missing low end but missing some air, even though this seems to have more than some other PUs.

I've been using it with a Para DI which I'm really not a fan of that box, although it's tried & true & been using it forever. I'm convinced it adds this low mid blanket over everything although it might not just be calibrated or something or it's just me. I'm new to the latest crop of PUs. I've had the stuff - Pendulum SPS-1, AP13, Raven labs, Richard Battaglia, etc. but I guess I gotta find something with a couple of bands of EQ. Thanks! Always enjoy your contributions to AGF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The tune was great! That recording sounds pretty representative of what a lot of us hear with the Lyric. It’s better than a pickup in terms of definition and air, but a bit challenging to EQ. You can solder a a second source that will be available on the ring contact on the jack, assuming you have a two channel preamp or mixer. I had one guitar where the Lyric installation sounded amazing. I sold the guitar like a dummy. Since then, I get mostly mids when I install Lyric. I suspect each capsule is a little different.

In terms of feedback, after Sturgil Simpson switched to the Lyric, he used a sound hole plug when playing with his band.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:31 AM

Hey Vancebo, indeed it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Is that recording direct? I am guessing it is.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Thanks! You might like the Tech21 Q strip. It was suggested by a friend that has committed to the Lyric for his guitars. It has two mid bands I believe. Since I’m not using Lyric presently I sold my Q strip.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 AM

I think it sounds very good, as good as the Lyric can. Not boxy at all.
I agree the tone could be a bit 'bigger' but for performing with a band you might not need the whole frequency spectrum.
Playing is top-notch.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:29 AM

I still wish that Lr Baggs would find a way to make a passive version of the Lyric. I could see myself experimenting with it a lot.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Excellent playing and the tone of your direct-recorded Lyric is pretty much the best Lyric demo I've heard! Thanks!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-21-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks! You might like the Tech21 Q strip. It was suggested by a friend that has committed to the Lyric for his guitars. It has two mid bands I believe. Since I’m not using Lyric presently I sold my Q strip.
Hey thanks martingitdave, I was taking a look at that online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
I think it sounds very good, as good as the Lyric can. Not boxy at all.
I agree the tone could be a bit 'bigger' but for performing with a band you might not need the whole frequency spectrum.
Playing is top-notch.
Thankin' ya Monsum - I've enjoyed your postings of the different pickups. I've watched those vids a bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I still wish that Lr Baggs would find a way to make a passive version of the Lyric. I could see myself experimenting with it a lot.
That would be nice. I have one more guitar I'm thinking of putting something in and can't see a reason not to finally check out the HFN, almost did it in this one instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Excellent playing and the tone of your direct-recorded Lyric is pretty much the best Lyric demo I've heard! Thanks!
Thanks SpruceTop! I'm not as brave as you guys who do a great service posting clips of various pickups straight in, "unadorned". I make no claims of that, my clip has been tweaked a bit. Again thanks.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 AM

Why hate the Lyric? It's easy to use and has a decent and quite natural sound. At the moment I have it in a Furch Little Jane and I had it in two Taylor Grand Concerts. You have to experiment with the position of the Lyric inside the guitar, but once you've found the sweet spot of your guitar the Lyric sounds great. The LR Baggs Lyric can easily be tweaked further with the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, for an even more natural sound.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 AM

I like it, I'm gonna give it some time. I actually might have it a little too close too the pins. There wasn't a whole lot of room on the plate but I'll probably move it a hair further away from them just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbound View Post
Why hate the Lyric? It's easy to use and has a decent and quite natural sound. At the moment I have it in a Furch Little Jane and I had it in two Taylor Grand Concerts. You have to experiment with the position of the Lyric inside the guitar, but once you've found the sweet spot of your guitar the Lyric sounds great. The LR Baggs Lyric can easily be tweaked further with the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI, for an even more natural sound.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Second on the Q-Strip. Very useful and musical EQ. Killer playing by the way!
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification