The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Transposing and changing tunings

I have a few of Glenn Weiser's Celtic books. He arranges in standard and I prefer lower tunings.

What's your approach transpose from standard to a lower tuning like CGDGCD? I was thinking one way would be to find the lowest note in the tune and drop it to the low C and adjust everything else accordingly.

Another would be to see where the melody sits best and adjust bass notes to compliment the melody.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have a few of Glenn Weiser's Celtic books. He arranges in standard and I prefer lower tunings.

What's your approach transpose from standard to a lower tuning like CGDGCD? I was thinking one way would be to find the lowest note in the tune and drop it to the low C and adjust everything else accordingly.

Another would be to see where the melody sits best and adjust bass notes to compliment the melody.
HI Barry

I always want either string 5 or 6 to be the root of the chord in any open tuning I'm using…and I can capo to adjust range/key.

I'll use use dropped D or DADGAD and capo up 2 or 3 frets. If I'm using a partial capo, I'll plant a standard capo as the root bass and then apply the cut capo 2 frets above it.

I've never capoed CGCGCD, but wouldn't hesitate to if it had the qualities I wanted. I usually reserve CGCGCD for key of C (because of the lowered bass) and use D based alternates to get a step higher.

And I've written songs in both CGCGCD and DADGAD which I've then ported to standard tuning with a cut capo at the 2nd fret. I have to change a couple fingerings, and perhaps alter a small run or two, but it's quicker when playing live to put a cut-capo on that to retune, and easier than switching guitars.

I never use those tunings for Worship Team (ok Dropped D I do actually), so they are only for gigs where I'm playing solo or Acoustic Duo and want an Irish feel.

I have played alternate tunings in a Round Robin setting where we have a dozen or more players and you get to play one song then each person in turn goes around the circle. I have plenty of time to re-tune before the next round.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-17-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Barry

I always want either string 5 or 6 to be the root of the chord in any open tuning I'm using…and I can capo to adjust range/key.

What I did was to make a grid like this and transposed from the original score into GuitarPro. GuitarPro is a little clunky for doing it, sometimes it won't cross strings when using the software so I did it manually.

.......C.......D.....E......F......G......A......B
1.....B.......C#...D#...E......F#....Ab.....Bb
2.....Bb.....C.....D......D#...F.......G......A
3.....A.......B.....C#....D.....E.......F#....Ab

etc. I went down to G from C. I lost only one bass note in the notation so I just used the octave higher. I will practice the tune today and add my own interpretations to the arrangement.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write