The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 PM

Default Guitars and harmonics

What is it about some guitars that makes them have easier or louder harmonics than others?
Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk of Funk View Post
What is it about some guitars that makes them have easier or louder harmonics than others?
It's mostly the bridge pins.

But seriously, it's literally all of the variables of materials and construction working together. Some obvious contributors are wood types and thicknesses, bracing type and pattern, body dimensions, and string choice.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Ok, so if your guitar is being setup professionally, there isn't much you can do in order to try and get it to have louder harmonics I guess then, right?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Ok, so if your guitar is being setup professionally, there isn't much you can do in order to try and get it to have louder harmonics I guess then, right?
I guess I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "harmonics" (I'm assuming it's overtones) but regardless, I'd have to say there's not much that a pro set-up can do for you beyond improving playability, intonation, etc..

I would, however, encourage you to try a whole bunch of different strings, going beyond the Martin/D'Addario/Ernie Ball world. Try some Thomastik Infield, Pyramid, Curt Mangan, etc. , and experiment with Phosphor Bronze, 80/20, monel, and other metallurgic variations.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I guess I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "harmonics" (I'm assuming it's overtones) but regardless, I'd have to say there's not much that a pro set-up can do for you beyond improving playability, intonation, etc..

I would, however, encourage you to try a whole bunch of different strings, going beyond the Martin/D'Addario/Ernie Ball world. Try some Thomastik Infield, Pyramid, Curt Mangan, etc. , and experiment with Phosphor Bronze, 80/20, monel, and other metallurgic variations.

Yeah this? Do you mean overtones (that harmonic bloom), or do you mean like natural harmonics at the nodes (12th fret, 7th fret, etc) and pinch harmonics? The answer in both cases is likely how well intonated the fretboard is and how lightly built and braced the top is (a factor which the top wood selection can influence).
Old 05-07-2019, 02:40 PM

Also how you can use your finger to do it properly... just thought I would add as it took me ages to do it right ...😳
Old 05-07-2019, 02:55 PM

I’m assuming you are referencing 5th, 7th, and 12th felt harmonics. If so I have wondered the same thing. Some of my guitars ring like a bell. Others, not so much
Old 05-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
Also how you can use your finger to do it properly... just thought I would add as it took me ages to do it right ...😳
So, to be clear, I shouldn't be able to produce harmonics like Leo Kottke after a year or so of intermittent practice

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 05-07-2019, 03:19 PM

Technique aside, I would think a tighter top that favors trebles would be more conducive to harmonics which regardless of how they are produced are just higher notes - the string doesn't care how it was excited,

Mike
Old 05-07-2019, 03:38 PM

It seems to me that heavier strings would produce "better" harmonics. A light top wouldn't hurt.
et al
Old 05-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
It seems to me that heavier strings would produce "better" harmonics.
They do. The thicker the strings, the stronger the harmonics that sound from the nodes at the 12th, 7th, 5th, 4th, 3rd frets, etc.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhunn View Post
I’m assuming you are referencing 5th, 7th, and 12th felt harmonics. If so I have wondered the same thing. Some of my guitars ring like a bell. Others, not so much
Ya, that's exactly right, my cheap fender has better ringing harmonics than my Taylor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
Technique aside, I would think a tighter top that favors trebles would be more conducive to harmonics which regardless of how they are produced are just higher notes - the string doesn't care how it was excited,

Mike
What do you mean by "tighter" top? I would say that my Taylor appears to have a "looser" top, which I think is generally better, it vibrates more easily, but the smaller body and harder wood of my fender, would seem to fit a characteristic of "tigher" to me, so maybe that's why my fender has better/easier harmonics than my Taylor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
It seems to me that heavier strings would produce "better" harmonics. A light top wouldn't hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
They do. The thicker the strings, the stronger the harmonics that sound from the nodes at the 12th, 7th, 5th, 4th, 3rd frets, etc.
I agree, thicker strings seem better. This is one of the reasons I like to have medium gauge strings on my guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bain View Post
Also how you can use your finger to do it properly... just thought I would add as it took me ages to do it right ...��
I actually use my thumb. (there are harmonics throughout at the "chorus" but if you go to 3:25, that's where there's the highest density of those thumb harmonics)

It takes some practice to get the positioning right, and to get used to the technique, but it's pretty cool once you get it down well enough. I prefer this way of doing it I find. I haven't seen anyone else do it that way though, but I find there are some nice advantages to it, like doing two notes at once for example. That guitar actually has pretty nice harmonics, but my Taylor, which is in the shop, which is why I'm wondering, doesn't appear to have such easy and strong harmonics, and you'd expect the opposite. I'm wondering if the luthier could do anything to try and improve that.

Last edited by Monk of Funk; 05-07-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
That guitar actually has pretty nice harmonics, but my Taylor, which is in the shop, which is why I'm wondering, doesn't appear to have such easy and strong harmonics, and you'd expect the opposite. I'm wondering if the luthier could do anything to try and improve that.
Best thing is to ask the luthier. Personally I doubt it. But he would have the best advice if there is anything that can be done.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Ya, there are luthier types here though also, so I thought they may have suggestions before I call him up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write