The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Tele VS Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Honestly, they're so different I'm surprised you're drawn to both.
I have both, I think it's real hard to find a more versatile guitar for all types of music better than a Telecaster. From smooth and butter in the neck to bite your head off and twang in the bridge. But there's one thing a Tele won't do, that is give you the Stratocaster spank! If you're looking for that spanky, surf style sound it seems only a Strat or Jazzmaster will do that. Both my Teles are MIA but for those who have them, I've heard a MIM Tele is hard to beat for the money. A G&L ASAT Tribute is hard to beat for the money too. Amazing build quality for an unbeatable price. Good luck with your decision!
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 05-01-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I want one in Candy Apple Red...
I think it was a kit guitar of some sort. If I ever get another T Style guitar, I'd consider doing something similar to this and maybe add a Duesenberg multi-bender bridge.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
Say you really love the fender strat and tele and could buy only one in the mid to upper price ranges. Which would you buy, with all things equal as far as fit, finish, sound, comfort, etc? Or, would you buy one of each in say the upper Squire line? Again, all things being equal.

To answer your question, I personally would save a few more bucks and purchase a good condition preowned American Standard Tele or Strat over an upper ended Squire.

My reasons are personal but here is why.

1. The American standard Fenders have what is called the neck tilt adjustment. On the back of the guitar, there is a little hole on the chrome neck plate where the neck joins the body. You can put an allen key wrench in there and you can get those strings super nice and low.

2. I think the pick ups sound better in the American standards than the Squires.

3. The hardware is better. I like the 2 point tremelo on the strats instead of the 6 screw fulcrum style tremelo bridge.

4. Your not going to have many problems with a strat going out of tune much if you do not use the tremelo arm much. (That is if you get a strat)

I have had a few strats. I like a strat personally better than a tele. But I like how a tele sounds and have a lot of respect to the tele players.

I have never owned a telecaster but have played several. To me the fret board is slightly narrower than a strats and also I like the body contour of the strat.

These are just my opinions and thoughts. You do what you can if your on a budget. I know how it is. But man it would be worth it to save those pennies and go ahead a spend a few hundred more.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
You’re welcome. I like vintage specifications on telecasters due to light weight tuners and other appointments, but I’m really stuck on the tuners especially.

If you are able to find a ‘52 or ‘58 reissue [American made] (currently out of production) you will reach the gold, in my opinion.
I should qualify the above ^^^

The reissues have a ‘dark’ and ‘modern’ circuit for the neck pickup. ‘Dark’ is original, ‘modern’ brings this pickup out of the dark ages.

I even wonder if the neck pickup on the reissues have the copper base plate.

Some say “Leo got it right the first time”

but I’m in the camp that sees the Telecaster enjoying later improvements, including steel rather than brass saddles.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I should qualify the above ^^^

The reissues have a ‘dark’ and ‘modern’ circuit for the neck pickup. ‘Dark’ is original, ‘modern’ brings this pickup out of the dark ages.

I even wonder if the neck pickup on the reissues have the copper base plate.

Some say “Leo got it right the first time”

but I’m in the camp that sees the Telecaster enjoying later improvements, including steel rather than brass saddles.
I don't think Teles ever had copper base plates on the neck pickup.
What makes a Tele neck pickup darker sounding is a thick brass cover.
Later covers are thin silver nickel and allow more high frequencies from the neck pickup.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Has any on considered the Fender Telecaster Modern Player? 3 pickups with the bridge pickup being a humbucker. Kinda the crossover that maybe trys to fill the gap between the Tele and the Stat while bring something a bit new to the table. Very nice guitar in the 500-600 dollar range new.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGuitar View Post
Has any on considered the Fender Telecaster Modern Player? 3 pickups with the bridge pickup being a humbucker. Kinda the crossover that maybe trys to fill the gap between the Tele and the Stat while bring something a bit new to the table. Very nice guitar in the 500-600 dollar range new.
I played one a couple of weeks ago. One nice feature is the belly carve, however, it has a super glossy neck that turned me off.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

I have an early 70s strat and though it is a few years removed from being a collectible (not pre CBS) I consider it an amazing guitar. If I ever lost it or if it were stolen would probably look to replace it with a used strat of the same age, rather then any of the new MIA or MIM strats.

You can pick up both a used (5 to 10 years old) MIA tele and Strat for not much more then a one New MIA guitar.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars