The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-05-2016, 09:32 AM

Default least bad place for strap pin

So age and bad posture while playing has me looking at a strap for the first time ever. None of my archtops have neck end strap pins, so I don't know what works best physically. Strap to the peghead is out, I don't want that stress on the neck. I've read that a strap pin on the heel helps with the guitar not tipping forward, and I've read that a strap pin on the back of the guitar actually does let the instrument tip forward. I have a relatively flat heel on my main guitar, so I could put a pin on it - but frankly I hate the way they look, they look like after-thoughts. Benedetto puts them on the back of the guitar or the heel cap, which I think looks best, but has the aforementioned tipping forward issue and the instrument might be resting on that pin if laid on a table, etc. Gretsch puts the strap pin on the side of the guitar above the heel, and I could do that drilling into the neck block. I've seen that location used in many pictures of jazz players with straps. So, what have you done? What works best in practice for you?
Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
So age and bad posture while playing has me looking at a strap for the first time ever. None of my archtops have neck end strap pins, so I don't know what works best physically. Strap to the peghead is out, I don't want that stress on the neck. I've read that a strap pin on the heel helps with the guitar not tipping forward, and I've read that a strap pin on the back of the guitar actually does let the instrument tip forward. I have a relatively flat heel on my main guitar, so I could put a pin on it - but frankly I hate the way they look, they look like after-thoughts. Benedetto puts them on the back of the guitar or the heel cap, which I think looks best, but has the aforementioned tipping forward issue and the instrument might be resting on that pin if laid on a table, etc. Gretsch puts the strap pin on the side of the guitar above the heel, and I could do that drilling into the neck block. I've seen that location used in many pictures of jazz players with straps. So, what have you done? What works best in practice for you?
Strap on the peg head does not stress the neck, unless you insist on leaning on the body/neck joint.

I no longer stand when I play, but when I did I had my 1930 Gibson L-5 set up with a strap pin on the heel cap.

That 'leaning forward' worry thing is nonsense, but if you're still worried you can put a caribiner (sp) clip attachment on it, and clip the strap on so there's no chance of it slipping out of the slot.

HE
Old 05-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Since you're talking about a strap, but not for use while standing up, have you thought about a guitar support instead, like the Neckup, Gitano, Ergoplay, etc.? That would move the neck up and allow you to keep your feet flat. jpbat who posts here on AGF uses a Neckup with his archtops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEk3MBNqCk.

Vast array of possibilities: https://www.stringsbymail.com/guitar...-supports-386/ (keep clicking Show More at the bottom to see them all)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:36 AM

I ended up putting it on the side just above the neck, in the same place that Guild puts theirs. Works a treat, quite happy with the support but next guitar will have a lighter neck and smaller headstock - the balance of this one isn't perfect.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:02 PM

Sorry I'm late to this, you've already put the pin, but since dhalbert talked about me using NeckUp : I sit down when playing, and used straps before trying NeckUp (thank to an AGF member). I never looked back.
There are several similar systems available, I found NeckUp simpler than the other. Any of my regular guitar has one.
Consequently, I got a dozen of wonderful Italian straps that I don't use anymore (and will certainly not use in the future, age being what it is...)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 05-22-2016, 05:03 AM

What size Neckup did you get, JP? Was it the 4"?
Old 05-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
What size Neckup did you get, JP? Was it the 4"?
I tried them all (the large and narrow models), and found that the narrow model lacks of stability.
So I use the 4" all the way, even on thin body guitars.
I actually like the fact that the NeckUp, contrary to other systems, tends to "give" some leeway when positioning the guitar, but the narrow model just don't work.

A few things :
- don't keep the suction cup on nitro finish too long. Nothing to worry about before a few weeks, but a few months and the finish begin to react badly.
Since I use a lot of non expensive guitars that I consider tools, I even got so far as to install a strap pin on the side of some guitars (with a reinforcement wood piece inside...) to replace the suction cup fonction.
- the plastic things that keep the straight part, ahem... straight, tends to squeak when you move. Nothing to worry playing live, but annoying enough when recording. A piece of camera tape takes care of that easily.

Apart of that, I have a NeckUp on any of my regular guitars, plus some spare.
They can be adjusted all the way to fit exactly your need on any size of guitar.
Nice product.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 05-27-2016, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
I ended up putting it on the side just above the neck, in the same place that Guild puts theirs.
IMO that's definitely the "least bad" place to put a strap button.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops