The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Default What does the -10db cap do to my Oktava?

First off. Wow. Like super duper wowee wow wow. I just received my matched pair of Oktava MK012 mics and I decided to try them out today on my Martin HD35. Just stunning clarity and faithfulness to the guitar.

Since I'm still trying to learn all the spec-lingo when it comes to mics, I was wondering what was the purpose of the -10db capsule insert that you can attach to this mic? I think it's obvious, but again, I'm a beginner when it comes to the frequency jargon. I will use these mics primarily for acoustic guitar, but also will give it a go for piano and vocals.

Wonder if I should mod em now.
Gibson SG Standard
Rickenbacker 360
Old 05-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maderic View Post
First off. Wow. Like super duper wowee wow wow. I just received my matched pair of Oktava MK012 mics and I decided to try them out today on my Martin HD35. Just stunning clarity and faithfulness to the guitar.

Since I'm still trying to learn all the spec-lingo when it comes to mics, I was wondering what was the purpose of the -10db capsule insert that you can attach to this mic? I think it's obvious, but again, I'm a beginner when it comes to the frequency jargon. I will use these mics primarily for acoustic guitar, but also will give it a go for piano and vocals.

Wonder if I should mod em now.
It lowers their sensitivity 10db. You won't need to use it for ac guitar but
they can come in handy for a louder instrument that could cause distortion without them.

Some mics have a switch instead, called a "pad".

Jim McCarthy
Old 05-29-2011, 04:32 PM

Yeah you might use the pads if you were micing something really loud like a drum kit.

PS: we need clips!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:58 PM

Great mics! I'm super happy with my Michael Jolly modded pair. I use them instead of the built in mics in my Zoom H4. Several steps up for sure!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM

Perfect. Good to know. I'll be recording a whack of songs shortly, and I'll post them up. Tx again!
Gibson SG Standard
Rickenbacker 360
Old 05-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

I have a pair of the Oktava MK-012, Russian made, with the Scott Dorsey mic amp mod. Nice mics. To my ears and with my equipment, they can be compared to SD mics from Schoeps, Neumann and Gefell. But they are not Schoeps, Neumann and Gefell mics.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:21 PM

yes, that would be pushing it.
Mind you, I don't think every Neumann is a good choice for acoustic guitar id you have a good sounding guitar. The KN 184 and Sennheiser 8040 and 8050, for example, are artificially bright. If you have a really dark sounding guitar that could use a bit of brightness, yes.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Great mics! I'm super happy with my Michael Jolly modded pair. I use them instead of the built in mics in my Zoom H4. Several steps up for sure!
I'm curious to know if the preamp's built into the Zoom H2 or H4N would be "adequate" for better mics. I only ask because I have read a lot here about the preamp needing to be adequately matched to the mic.

Hope this is not diverting from the subject too much.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD