The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2019, 02:41 PM

Default Boss VE-8 into an amp or mixer for EQ

Hello,
Current setup is RedEye DI into Helicon TC Singer 2 i into Boss looper. If going straight into my Loudbox Artist I skip the RedEye, as the Artist has preamps that are good enough. I set effects and EQ at the Artist.

If going into house the Red Eye is first in line. So, three gizmos, and then either a house/personal mixer with EQ and effects.

True or False:
The Boss VE-8 has a pre-amp in the guitar channel. As it has an XLR and 1/4 out , I can use it to replace all three pedals above (absent the boost switch on the Red Eye) and go direct with mic and instrument into the VE-8, and out to either Artist for EQ, or mixing board for EQ, and use the VE-8 onboard effects?

This because I understand the EQ on the VE-8 is not easy for those of us that are not so smart.

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-22-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmackie View Post
Hello,

True or False:
The Boss VE-8 has a pre-amp in the guitar channel. As it has an XLR and 1/4 out , I can use it to replace all three pedals above (absent the boost switch on the Red Eye) and go direct with mic and instrument into the VE-8, and out to either Artist for EQ, or mixing board for EQ, and use the VE-8 onboard effects?

This because I understand the EQ on the VE-8 is not easy for those of us that are not so smart.

Thanks
Scott
The answer is, yes but. It has everything you describe and can go out to either the Artist or a mixing board for EQ tweaking at those destinations. The only reservation is that some of the functions of the wonderful VE-8, as a combo unit, may not equal those of dedicated pieces. In particular the looper is pretty basic compared to many single-purpose loopers and as a very primitive looper myself I find the activation button a pain to use. I also know people rave about the Red Eye and don't know how well the VE-8 compares. As for harmonizing, different units have different flavors, but I'm quite happy with mine, in light doses.

So anyway it would replace those three boxes sans the boost, and you'd have to discover if some of it is merely good enough. We have a very experienced VE-8 user here, Methos, who may chime in (he even used the EQ feature, but I think in more of a set-and-forget mode. You don't need a PhD to run the VE-8's EQ, it's just some specific button manipulation that's not gonna happen live for most musicians).
Old 05-22-2019, 09:54 PM

Exit button hold then press loop pedal gets you into eq mode. Not saying you are going to lean down and tweak it in the middle of a song, but it’s not a difficult combo to memorize. From that point you just have to know the low, mid, and high knobs. This also gets you into the noise suppressor control.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

I use the VE-8 and yes, it can replace all 3 pedals.....But
I find the black buttons somewhat clumsy to use; and by the time you
add a footswitch which is necessary to use looper AND harmony, it is
pretty big footprint. I find myself moving in the direction where you
currently are. I already bought a Diito X2 to break ou the looper
function and am looking at Harmony boxes like the HS HS2, Perform VG,
Voicetone G-XT and maybe the VoiceLive PLay to totally separate the
Guitar and Vocal chains.

I, too, use a Red-eye (the Twin) or a Venue for boost and preamp.
They sound a little better than the VE-8, but not a show stopper.
I am looking at the TC Spark Mini for boost when I use my active
Schertler AG-6. I need the Twin or Venue if I use my passive Blsck Angel.

The main benefit I get from the VE-8 is the ability to run a 'mix' of
guitar and vocals out to my Bose L1c input channel or my L1mod2
analog input.

The VE-8 is a nice box, but I would suggest you set up the looper and
harmony simultaneously and see if the pedal and FS combo works for
you.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:28 AM

I have had a huge love/hate relationship with the VE-8. I don't really mean hate.. Because for the price, it's a heck of a device for solo singer player. Covers a lot of ground in a fairly compact battery op unit. Nice array of ins and outs. Perfect to go into a PA or Powered Speaker. It sounds really good too!

BUT, it certainly isn't the "friendliest" to use on stage, But then again any of the "All in One" performer units have similar user interface issues (one way or another).

The EQ on the VE-8 works fine(once you read the manual).
Hold the Exit button and Loop Switch and it goes into EQ mode.
Use the Knobs under Guitar section to adjust.

There is also a hidden adjustment for Low Cut, Mid Freq and Mid Q.

The LOOPER is OK .. It works easy for me for 1 guitar phrase to solo over. (I don't over dub).
Stomp to start and then HOLD for 2 seconds to Stop/Erase. So it is possible to do LIVE and I have many times.

Vocal/Harmony section - It does just fine. Vocal enhance and Reverb are great. set forget.
Again, quick user manual study, figure out the way it works.

Easy Harmony - just Twist the knob to which harmony and Stomp on it to get a Harmony on/off. I probably use it on 4-5 songs out of 3 hours. To me It's cool when used sparingly.

The Guitar effects are nice and clean. I mainly use the Chorus or delay. Stomp on/off. You can string together multi effects. But it gets into more work. User Memory etc. Which I haven't used. The main thing I found missing is lack of boost.. which has become necessary in my solo and collaborative shows.

THIS BRINGS TO MY CURRENT SET UP.
I recently bought a Baggs Venue - The Sound shaping and overall sound quality .. absolutely blows away the VE-8. The Boost is amazing as well and much needed in my Duo/Trio.

So now I am re-thinking everything. The Venue for Guitar, TC Helicon pedal for some Vocal enhancement and a Boss or Ditto Looper.

But for all 3 ..we are taking $600+ range vs $300 for the VE-8...... Hmm.. The VE-8 is pretty cool for the money ..Eh?

Last edited by JakeStone; 05-23-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM

Jake,
Done a bit of back and forth at the house. Lack of a boost function on the VE08 bugs. For small venue purposes, using my Artist with the channel mute/effects b mute foot switch for eq/effects, the TC Helicon for vocal schmaltz, and maybe out to a powered speaker will work nicely. The lack of boost, and overall complexity of eq functions on VE-08, is leading me to send it back to GC. What do you do for effects, as the Venue doesn't have any? Or, unlike me, are you good enough that effects are completely un necessary?
Old 05-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Exit button hold then press loop pedal gets you into eq mode. Not saying you are going to lean down and tweak it in the middle of a song, but it’s not a difficult combo to memorize. From that point you just have to know the low, mid, and high knobs. This also gets you into the noise suppressor control.
The Eq is pretty junk. And its a global setting - alas it isnt per memory slot.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:46 PM

What do you mean by "boost" here? It most certainly can boost guitar.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:14 PM

I'd suggest you look at the AD10 and keep the TC Harmony Singer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification