The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Default old geezer writing songs

I'm a 65 year old that starting messing with a guitar way back. Played in three bands in the '70's. But, I consider myself a guitar hack. I'm self taught. I did write, or help write, a few songs way back.

Now, I'm a grandpa with an eight year old granddaughter. I am working on a song for her. She kind of came up with the concept, and I'm putting it to paper and writing the lyrics. I've always mostly just made stuff up on a guitar, so this little song is coming along. I had been working on a musical piece that I liked, and found I could then write the lyrics to fit the existing music.

The big difference for me is, that I have NEVER been a singer, or had any confidence in my voice. But, I'm doing it for this song, and I think I'm not as bad as I thought I was. Almost zero experience singing and playing at the the same time also. But, I'm really enjoying working on this. I wake up like this morning, at 4:30, and the song is going through my head, so, heck with it, I'm getting up.

After listening to music and checking out bands I wasn't familiar with, I've come to the conclusion that a song just does not have to be political, or a "protest" song, or even anything earth shaking at all. watched a video from a young 21 year old guitar player, and he wrote a nice song about a lady he knows whose cat ran away. Yeah, that's write. Seems like a nice young man with a decent voice and good enough player to do the job. I liked it enough that I suggested he write some more original stuff and then do some open mic performances.

What the heck, we only live once. Plus this project helps me forget for a while, some major health problems I'm facing.

I actually did a couple of songs maybe 12 years ago at my brother in laws wedding. Had my son sing and I played an acoustic guitar with a borrowed amp. That's a funny story about that song.

So, I currently believe that most of us have the ability to write songs, with music and lyrics, so why not me? I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from this, and have got back into acoustic playing after hardly touching a guitar for the last 5-6 years.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Good for you Birdmove! I am just a bit older than you and relate to much of what you have said.

There is something to be said for getting to your present age. You don't owe anybody explanations. You have paid a lot of life's dues. So just go for it. Have fun. Experiment. Don't overthink it or be too self critical.
You only really have to please yourself... well and maybe your grand daughter. But hey, you are grandpa and she will be happy to do that song with you.
Sing, play, enjoy. By now you have likely shed much of what you used to think was important and have a much better idea of what really is.

All the best to you and yours.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Good for you, mate. Age is irrelevant. Sometimes it can take a good chunk of life to get to the point when the music is ready to be realized and released. I speak from experience, as I have shared on this forum. Never touched a guitar with intention until three months ago. Never wrote a song until a year ago. Now both conspire to keep me from falling asleep at night. And I could not be happier. While some of my friends in their early 60's fret over how they will spend their time, I fret too....Take this, as I have, as an opportunity to open a new chapter in your life, or revisit an old one.
Happy trails
David
Old 05-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
…I think I'm not as bad as I thought I was. Almost zero experience singing and playing at the the same time also. But, I'm really enjoying working on this.
Hi bm

GO GEEZERS!!! (says the 70 yr old chiming in).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-11-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
But, I'm really enjoying working on this.
THIS is what matters.

Good post, and I'm following this thread to see where it goes.....
Old 05-12-2019, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

You are absolutely correct.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-12-2019, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

Nice, that's what its all about.

I write instrumentals for fun and loss (no profit, ). Some are awful, yet others are only terrible.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 05-12-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Great story!

Go get 'em, and have a blast. Creativity is an elixir for both mental and physical health.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Thumbs up Nice

Is 65 officially Geezer territory? If so, I am Geezer-ish at 56.

Good for you writing, singing and playing. You should record it and post it here when you're done. I'm sure it will turn out good.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice, that's what its all about.

I write instrumentals for fun and loss (no profit, ). Some are awful, yet others are only terrible.
Oh, c’mon TBman, some of yours are actually extremely mediocre.

Seriously, I like and enjoy a lot of your original compositions.

And, way to go OP. Get out there and play!!
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:48 PM

birdmove - I have had similar experiences. If you had told me years ago that I would be writing songs, I think my response would be, "Yeah, right." But here I am at age 65 carrying around a notebook and working on it in my spare time.

I find it pretty wild how these ideas evolve into a song - a little seed here, a catch phrase there and then it blossoms, or not.

I think that one of the beautiful things about this moment is that we have a lifetime of experience and musical snippets to draw ideas and emotion from.

Keep at it!
Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
Oh, c’mon TBman, some of yours are actually extremely mediocre.

Seriously, I like and enjoy a lot of your original compositions.

And, way to go OP. Get out there and play!!
Thanks G, I'll take mediocre

Seriously though, playing guitar and writing music is great for my blood pressure (I'm 64) and I'm sure its good for many others as well.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-13-2019, 08:33 AM

Let me join the geezer comments. Have fun and enjoy. Write and sing.
We have creativity in us that needs to come out. And yes, the blood pressure does go down. Life is still ahead of you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write