The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 AM

Default New amp - Vox VX50 GTV - Poor mans Quilter?

So, as you can see in my sig, I am a believer in Vox's NuTube amps. Although I own both the AC and Rock heads, I usually gig with the Orange. Why? The Vox's are simply too loud for most gigs I play. Yeah, That's right - too loud. A LOT louder than a Blues Jr or AC10. As with old school tube amps, these need to be pushed too to get all that tubey goodness out of them. So while they sit mostly unused at home, when we play festivals with a sound man all we need is these 2 heads and a line out - no combos or mic'ing needed.

For Old-School tube amp purists you may think the NuTube technology is hype, but my ears tell me different.

Enter the Vox VX50 GTV.

With a built in attenuator, NuTube technology and 11 amp model (8 storable presets with a separate FS) I think I may have found my next rig. It has an 8" speaker but I have the Vox 8" cab and find it to be remarkably good and this thing has more R&D behind the design.

At 9 lbs. and just over 2 bills (3 with the fancy footswitch) this amp seems like a no-brainer. In all the reviews (they are scarce but there) this thing sounds fantastic. If'n I get me one, I'll post a review.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-02-2019, 07:02 AM

Looks interesting - based on your reviews I've had my eye on a NOS MV50 AC/1x8" cab rig at a great price hiding in plain sight, but this might be worth a check instead...

Wonder if Vox ever considered a full-on, analog-circuit AC30 designed around 100% NuTube technology - no overheating problems and, with a pair of those new-generation neodymium speakers that actually have some tone, well under 40 pounds...

Probably sell a lot of them to us old guys...
Old 05-02-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Looks interesting - based on your reviews I've had my eye on a NOS MV50 AC/1x8" cab rig at a great price hiding in plain sight, but this might be worth a check instead...

Wonder if Vox ever considered a full-on, analog-circuit AC30 designed around 100% NuTube technology - no overheating problems and, with a pair of those new-generation neodymium speakers that actually have some tone, well under 40 pounds...

Probably sell a lot of them to us old guys...
The MV heads are great but they are incredibly loud. For a comparison, the Rock head at around 40-45% is as loud as my Orange head dimed and its supposed to be 20 watts. OTOH, their line out is the best I have ever heard in an affordable amp.

I find that I have a strong preference for Fender and Orange tones and while I like the AC head, it has that brittle, shards of glass thing going in the trebles and high mids - definitely a Vox voice.

If you like the Vox voice and like a lot of HP in your amps you would like the AC, or if you are going to run as a line out. If the deal is REALLY good, you should pull the trigger IMO. The little 8" cab is pretty remarkable for what it is. Doesn't sound like a 12" but sounds full and round - really sounds like a well voiced 10" and the cab weighs almost nothing.

If I go for this combo, I'll let you know what I think. I just gigged with my Orange and the Vox 12" cab and I only had the head up to about 1/3 volume. The cab weighs about 40 lbs - a grab and go 9 sounds pretty awesome for this mid-50's dude.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
So, as you can see in my sig, I am a believer in Vox's NuTube amps. Although I own both the AC and Rock heads, I usually gig with the Orange. Why? The Vox's are simply too loud for most gigs I play. Yeah, That's right - too loud. A LOT louder than a Blues Jr or AC10. As with old school tube amps, these need to be pushed too to get all that tubey goodness out of them. So while they sit mostly unused at home, when we play festivals with a sound man all we need is these 2 heads and a line out - no combos or mic'ing needed.

For Old-School tube amp purists you may think the NuTube technology is hype, but my ears tell me different.

Enter the Vox VX50 GTV.

With a built in attenuator, NuTube technology and 11 amp model (8 storable presets with a separate FS) I think I may have found my next rig. It has an 8" speaker but I have the Vox 8" cab and find it to be remarkably good and this thing has more R&D behind the design.

At 9 lbs. and just over 2 bills (3 with the fancy footswitch) this amp seems like a no-brainer. In all the reviews (they are scarce but there) this thing sounds fantastic. If'n I get me one, I'll post a review.
Not at all trying to be a smart A.

But, given you have two amps sitting home unused and are now consider a 3 rd amp. There is the simple economic logic of ,,,,if" Quilter" tone and response is what you are after ? Would it not make to sense to consider selling the two and combine that that with the money for this new amp, and just a get a Quilter they start at $329 and at Sweetwater they have a new 50 watt head w/ reverb for $429 Just wondering ???? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ad-with-reverb

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-02-2019, 08:57 AM

i dont expect positives from tube owners, even tough i own both i really think the gap is closing, i also think vox amps are near the top for modeling, i got an older AD30VT that is a keeper, id rather a 10" speaker though, for some reason, an 8 never put out clean lows for me
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 05-02-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not at all trying to be a smart A.

But, given you have two amps sitting home unused and are now consider a 3 rd amp. There is the simple economic logic of ,,,,if" Quilter" tone and response is what you are after ? Would it not make to sense to consider selling the two and combine that that with the money for this new amp, and just a get a Quilter they start at $329 and at Sweetwater they have a new 50 watt head w/ reverb for $429 Just wondering ???? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ad-with-reverb
No, not a smart A thing to ponder at all. The 2 AC heads are mostly unused, but get used at a local festival in lieu of an amp. Given the resale value of these l'il guys and because I bought the Rock head as a SDOTD for $120, I will keep them for their utility. I also intend to go cab-less at the next medium sized gig and use them as a line out into the PA.

Also, there are 2 of us that use them so selling 2 to gain one doesn't work.

The Quilter heads you name are also single channel without while the Vox offers the use of up to 8 presets. This would essentially eliminate all my foot pedals except for my A/B. I also like the variety of modeling options as our electric set list ranges from Adele and AC/DC to The Kinks and Green Day.

In smallish settings we don't use our PA, we use the Cube. In these kind of minimalist settings the size of this little amp as well as the attenuation makes it attractive to me.

Also, there is GAS.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
i dont expect positives from tube owners, even tough i own both i really think the gap is closing, i also think vox amps are near the top for modeling, i got an older AD30VT that is a keeper, id rather a 10" speaker though, for some reason, an 8 never put out clean lows for me
As someone that started out blowing harp, I was a tube amp purist for decades. I'm also a bit of a tone junky. That said, SS amps are kind of getting into new territory IMHO and I also think Vox is paving the way.

That said, I think you would be surprised if you played through one of the Vox 108 cabs. I doubt it would blow you away, but it's the fattest, roundest sounding cab it's size I have ever heard.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 05-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Love the MV heads. I use the clean. Perfect “fly rig” that’s consistent. I love that it fits on my board, I can run the line out to the mixer, and use my monitor rather than a cab...saving valuable “real estate” on stage.

They get along with pedals very well, and the built in attenuator offers more than enough power option for any venue. I’ve used it live in a variety of venues with a variety of mixers and have always been pleased.

As stated, it has PLENTY of power. It’s small footprint and large list of features has made it a mainstay for me. I’ve been able to move a variety of amps offstage, and even a few “modelers” like the Radial Direct Drive, amongst others, off my board.

No “real estate” issues, great tone, no worry of tubes rattling or failing (the Transtube approx hours of usage is insane!). For me it was a real joy to find.

I love my tweed Blues Jr. at home. But, for my “fly rig” the MV is a real gem.

Thx again for the heads up on those Roylor.

Last edited by PTony; 05-02-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:08 AM

I recently picked up a used AD30VT, and while I admit I'm not an expert in tube tones this amp does a very good job. Lots of options as far as overdrive all the way up to just flat out snarling heavy metal. I agree, Vox seems to have it down to an art.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I've been able to hear and play through a bunch of those newer Vox amps, and have been generally quite impressed...

I've been a Fender guy since I first bought an amp... after all, I graduated from Fullerton High in 1968, so I was "onboard" from the word "Go!"... I don't really have occasion to play electric guitar these days, save for just playing at home, and my '75 SF Deluxe Reverb is really all the amp I need or want... and I still have my "big mistake" amp, a Yamaha GL-100-112 (I traded a mint '59 Fender Pro amp for most of the price, back in 1980), and that Yamaha is still a wonderful amplifier for solid state stuff.

If I were in the market for an amp, I'd be looking closely at some of those Vox's, as well as some of the Blackstar offerings... they are REALLY nice amps for incredibly low prices...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM

I've never been a believer in the school of thought that it has to be either tubes or digital. Can't we all just get along? I love my tube amps, but I've been a fan of modelers since I first heard of them years ago. I have/have had many. And the Vox products have always been good ones. I gigged for years in a Beatles cover band using one of the first edition Vox AD60 heads - it remains a very cool and authentic sounding modeler. But it's big, and it's heavy - the new modelers pack all of that stuff into tiny, lightweight little packages. Amazing how far the technology has come, and how fast it's continuing to improve. I personally don't see the need to spend the cash for a Quilter or, even more expensive, a Kemper. IMO, the others - Roland, Fender, Vox, Line 6, Boss, etc - get you 95% of the way there for far less money. And don't get me started on the cheap Chinese amp simulators by Joyo, Donner and the like: those things sound crazy good, and you can get some of them for $30!
We live in a magic time for gear heads.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We live in a magic time for gear heads.
Yes! very true.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:27 AM

i like modeling amps- but you can almost get the same sounds with a good EQ amp, that said, my super champ XD is a PITA, it only has numbers for the amp modes and the effects are so-so, now my vox, at less then have the cost, tells me what mode im in, and the effects seem to be far superior
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
nutube, small modeling amp, vox vx50