The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Hum issue with Red Eye

I'm a fan of the Red Eye preamps and I own quite a few. My group plays a lot of outside gigs and I noticed that a couple of my Red Eyes had a very loud hum when they were placed on the ground.

I called the company to discuss the issue. I spoke with Darren (Founder, Vice President, Chief Engineer). His first response was for me to send it back and he would replace it. As we discussed the problem I told him that I had one unit that did not have this issue.

We compared a few notes and we traced the problem down to this. On the early units the paint on the bottom plate was pretty thick and there was not a good ground connection. I took my knife and removed the paint from the countersunk holes on the bottom plate. Now when it's all screwed together the bottom plate is grounded and the hum is gone when they are on the ground.

Excellent customer service and support.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

RedEye has been a true boon to my performing life.

Steve
Old 03-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Thanks for this info! Red Eye's ROCK!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

A first class company all the way. Also a fine product and I consider mine a necessity when I play out. All my guitars have the K&K Pure Mini installed and the difference in sound when the RedEye is used is remarkable - better even than the K&K pre-amp. Plus, it is simplicity itself: when the small/medium size rooms and galleries I play begin to fill with people it becomes important to utilize the treble boost. Clarity without an increase in volume. If I do need a bit more volume, the boost adds just enough. Also love the fact that when run into an input with phantom power the battery is out of the equation. And it's built like a tank!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification