The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-16-2018, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Default MICHAEL BASHKIN: 00-12c (Swiss Alpine “Moon” Spruce / Koa)

My build slot in Fort Collins, CO luthier Michael Bashkin’s (http://www.bashkinguitars.com/) build list queue has finally arrived….

This guitar will be one of Michael’s 00-12 models. I have come to enjoy playing smaller bodied acoustic flat top guitars due to their comfortable playing ergonomics, great note articulation, fast attack, timbral balance and the character of their trebles. Good ones also can create a perceived sense of aural space that belies preconceived ideas about their diminutive physical size.

This 12-fret to the body guitar will have a short-scale 24.9” scale length, a 1-3/4” nut width with 2-1/4” string spacing. Michael normally makes this model as an 18-fret guitar, but mine will have 19-frets. This will involve moving the sound-hole slightly towards the end block of the guitar. The guitar will incorporate a Florentine cutaway for enhanced upper fretboard access, an Ebony fretboard & bridge, Jescar EVO 43080 fret wire.

The guitar will be appointed with Rodgers SS23 single gear unit tuners ( simplified sleeves, short pips and oval Ebony buttons). They will look similar to the set below that I have on my Blanchard, but will have “Rodgers” engraved in the brass plates.

Michael is known for his ability to create visually elegant hardwood rosettes, head plate veneers and end grafts. This guitar will incorporate some of these signature aesthetic design features as well. As always, there are a number of design details that are still TBD, but we will decide upon them as we go along. Here is a design sketch of the head plate veneer that Michael will be making. Michael wanted to start here because a number of other material choices and design themes will cascade based on decisions here.

Michael is preparing a number of Carpathian Spruce top sets from John Preston @ Old World Tonewoods and Swiss “Moon” Spruce top sets from Andrea Florinett @ Tonewood Switzerland for his current batch of guitars that he is building. Based on my playing style and goals for the instrument he will select the “right” set for this project (tbd). Here is a composite photo showing them being glued up and thickness planed in preparation for his evaluation.

For the body, we chose an unusually beautiful set of quartersawn, AAA grade, Koa that has some outstanding color and flamed figure. This set came to Michael’s wood locker by way of Bruce Creps @ Notable Woods for the back and sides. Here are some photos of the set being joined, glued up and thickness planed. We have not yet decided whether or not to add a backstrip to the guitar.

The Koa rims have been bent, Honduran Mahogany neck/cutaway blocks and Baltic Birch Plywood end block have been fabricated and glued up in his body mold.

Here is a shot of the fabricated rims in their body mold placed on top of the back set with some solvent wiped on to it to provide a bit of foreshadowing to what the figure in the Koa set may present under finish.

Michael is targeting delivery of my guitar in September 2018 but he may also choose to exhibit it at the Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase (TBD) in late October (http://woodstockinvitational.com/). So if he does, please feel free to come and audition it and help me break it in (gently and without wearing a belt please..). It is unlikely that this will be a step-by-step build thread, but over the next 6 months or so I will share images of the build when Michael shares them with me along the way.

More when I get it.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 09-05-2018 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Top set chosen
Old 04-16-2018, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Not everyday a Bashkin thread comes along--pulling up a chair for this one!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-16-2018, 05:06 PM

Sounds outstanding. I know you did not ask for a vote on the back strip, but my vote is no. It seems to have a natural strip there that is really beautiful.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Super nice.....look forward to following this build! I don't know if I've followed a Bashkin, so this will be fun!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-16-2018, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Looks sweet. Fun to watch.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Michael bashkin is an artist aa well as being a craftsman! Looking forward to this thread...
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

I love the man and his work. Great specs on this guitar. Can’t wait to see it take shape.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM

By the way, the sharp cutaways such as this one are 'Florentine', not 'Venetian'.

Kym
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM

Dying with envy but huge congrats just the same!
-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scripsit View Post
By the way, the sharp cutaways such as this one are 'Florentine', not 'Venetian'.

Kym
Of course... Thanks for the correction...
Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Thanks to all for your well wishes...
Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 AM

Congrats Bob! Was looking forward to this one. Michael does some pretty tasteful work and more importantly, his guitars sound great!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-17-2018, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Congrats Bob! Was looking forward to this one. Michael does some pretty tasteful work and more importantly, his guitars sound great!
Thanks Marcus...

I think people who are familiar with Michael’s past body of work may be a bit surprised how things have evolved “under the hood”...
Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Looks like it will be an awesome guitar! Looking forward to seeing this one evolve.

Thanks for sharing it!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 AM

I love that Koa set! I am at the beginning stages of a custom Koa, and the builder just got a set from Bruce Creps. Exciting to see how yours looks at this stage. Keep the updates coming!
Preston Thompson: O Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop