The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-29-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
So you didn't try a balanced cable, as advised?
I did...louder more beefy tone but that's about it..just a louder souped up version of what I was hearing. Single note lead above the fifth fret just don't happen with that guitar. With my matrix infinity system it's much more responsive.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:39 PM

I happen to be borrowing my friend's 2018 Taylor 150e and decided to plug it in - sounds pretty bad imho compared to the M80 in my J45 or the Baggs Element in the J15 I used to have, much worse than the Fishman Blender I had in my old 310kce. Ton of string noise, kind of strident, pretty phasey. While it's not the worst - I was looking at Taylor 12 strings and would probably want to order one with out electronics!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
I did...louder more beefy tone but that's about it..just a louder souped up version of what I was hearing. Single note lead above the fifth fret just don't happen with that guitar. With my matrix infinity system it's much more responsive.
Could be a problem with that guitar, or the pickup system needs adjustment, or just the fact that you don't like the Taylor sound or it doesn't fit your style of playing.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-30-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
I happen to be borrowing my friend's 2018 Taylor 150e and decided to plug it in - sounds pretty bad imho compared to the M80 in my J45 or the Baggs Element in the J15 I used to have, much worse than the Fishman Blender I had in my old 310kce. Ton of string noise, kind of strident, pretty phasey. While it's not the worst - I was looking at Taylor 12 strings and would probably want to order one with out electronics!
That would have the ES2 system in it, probably needs adjustment of the pickup screws in the bridge.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-30-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
That would have the ES2 system in it, probably needs adjustment of the pickup screws in the bridge.
If I'm looking at the elements correctly, it does look like the high E is set pretty darn high and close to the string - will try to adjust. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Could be a problem with that guitar, or the pickup system needs adjustment, or just the fact that you don't like the Taylor sound or it doesn't fit your style of playing.
Could be...the guitar plays great though.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
I've had the same problems with every Taylor I've owned. Unfortunately I didn't have experience with any other guitars or pickup systems. I just kept buying Taylors.

I fell victim to the marketing speak and the cult following of Andy Powers, Wood & Steel, etc. Spent a fortune and 3 years of frustration trying to fix problems with the ES-2.

Recently fired Taylor permanently and moved to a Gibson J-45 with magnetic pickup. All of the problems you mentioned went away. Plug and play. Happy camper now.
Is that with or without the ToneDexter?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification