The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-21-2016, 12:56 PM

Default Rainy Bari

My OM1000, which I've had since 2001, is DBA as a baritone. I'd been using mediums on it, tuned BEADF#B, enjoying the floppiness...but since I put a set of .070 bari's on it, that's the way it's gonna be!

One can only imagine what a larger bodied Rainy would sound like, strung & tuned thusly.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

You've given me some scary ideas about my Rainsong Jumbo with your post. I just happen to have a set of Baritone acoustic strings at home.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:22 PM

I used to keep one of the Rainsongs strung as a Baritone. Very nice.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 PM

I have not tried this with my WS-1000. I've had medium gauge strings on it tuned D-D and in other lowered slack-key tunings. But I never took it as far as true baritone B-B tuning with really heavy strings. I would think that a new nut is required, and maybe a differently compensated saddle too.

FWIW, I mostly use my Martin J-40 as a baritone and have been playing it a lot the past week. It works fine with heavy gauge (62-14) tuned down to C-C (standard minus four frets). The intonation gets really finicky when the strings get this loose, and 21:1 ratio tuners would be helpful for tuning accuracy. C works fine and C# tuning is even better. B-B is just too low for those EJ-18 strings and a 25.4" scale length. It gets all floppy and the tone is mushy.

I have a Taylor baritone with 27" scale and find it challenging to play with 70-16 tuned B-B (recent medical condition in my left hand). I use the EJ-18's on that one tuned C-C and that works well - and is much easier for me to play.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
You've given me some scary ideas about my Rainsong Jumbo with your post. I just happen to have a set of Baritone acoustic strings at home.
A headsup: You may have to modify the low B string tuner post to accept the low B string; I drilled mine out ((Sperzels, locking)

I can only imagine what a CF jumbo would sound like as a bari!
Old 02-26-2016, 07:50 AM

I think we should be asking for sound clips...
lol... recordings or it didn't happen... or something like that
Old 03-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Default This was recorded w/ 13-56 strings

https://soundcloud.com/jeffreylsuits...e-go-runnin-13

I'm even more pleased with it now, with the 16-70 set.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
https://soundcloud.com/jeffreylsuits...e-go-runnin-13

I'm even more pleased with it now, with the 16-70 set.
Very nice Jeff...Your song kicked me smack in the Heart!!!
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 03-11-2016, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. Touching, especially for those who have had the pleasure of a furry family member.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Have you tried those strings yet?

BTW, my shop's in Emeryville; Al Milburn & I share a space.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Trying this sort of halfway. Just restrung my "old" Rainsong with D'Addario PB heavys (14/18/27/39/49/59) and tuned DGCFAD. Will let me accompany singing in F or Bb without a capo, using G and C chordings respectively; or get actual DADGAD using a partial capo. I've tried this before, with wood guitars, but so far they've buzzed, or sounded a bit sickly. The Rainsong sounds good, so far. We'll see how the strings settle in.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCady View Post
Trying this sort of halfway. Just restrung my "old" Rainsong with D'Addario PB heavys (14/18/27/39/49/59) and tuned DGCFAD. Will let me accompany singing in F or Bb without a capo, using G and C chordings respectively; or get actual DADGAD using a partial capo. I've tried this before, with wood guitars, but so far they've buzzed, or sounded a bit sickly. The Rainsong sounds good, so far. We'll see how the strings settle in.
CF's stiffness lets you get away with gauge experiments that would send a wood guitar's neck into backbow.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
CF's stiffness lets you get away with gauge experiments that would send a wood guitar's neck into backbow.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I like it a lot so far. Not only for singing in Bb and F, but singing in C using D chords, and getting more open strings...Hey! A "dropped D" capo would give ACTUAL Dropped D - not actually E...
Old 04-03-2016, 04:35 AM

Four-hour indoor Farmers' market gig yesterday. Just the OM1000 with D'Addario heavys, tuned D-to-d, and Kris's fiddle. Perfect! Like we had an invisible upright bass behind the guitar. Especially for songs in Bb and F, where we would have had to capo up enough to lose the best bass notes, and celtic or fake-celtic songs that work in D for me, and where I like DADGAD but didn't want to haul another guitar or try to retune in front of the audience. I was going to put the "old" Rainsong up for sale, but so much for that...maybe one of the others. This tuning will probably be my preferred one for duo gigs, for the forseeable future.

P.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber