The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
I was at Washington Music Center today (just north of Washington DC in Maryland). I played a Collings OM1 there first thing. Then, I played a dozen of other guitars and nothing sounded nearly as good. Before my GAS lead me down a bad path, the price tag was $4K, so I put my credit card away (or risk a divorce). If I had started with the Yamaha or Martin or Taylor or Gibson, I might have been OK. But starting there made me lament picking it up first. Sooo good.
You find one used that sounds as good and then you'll be where you want to be.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
I was at Washington Music Center today (just north of Washington DC in Maryland). I played a Collings OM1 there first thing. Then, I played a dozen of other guitars and nothing sounded nearly as good. Before my GAS lead me down a bad path, the price tag was $4K, so I put my credit card away (or risk a divorce). If I had started with the Yamaha or Martin or Taylor or Gibson, I might have been OK. But starting there made me lament picking it up first. Sooo good.
I suggest that you don’t ever...ever...play a Jason Kostal guitar then

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Tone is quite subjective and on another day you may very well find a less expensive guitar that you like just as much. I would, of course, not put my marriage in jeopardy over it. I have owned and have played some very expensive guitars, but I always come back to my Martin and Guild guitars as that is where my "tone love" is best soothed.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:33 PM

I would never tell anyone to spend past there means.

You and your family can only be the judge as to were that line is.

The used guitar market is a great way to buy high end instruments at a value.

It is a absolute must in knowing how to read and spot the signs that a guitar is in good structural condition.

( Fair warning ) once you dive into that end of the pool it's tough to go back.

But I have to tell you, the water is great!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:52 AM

Great that you appreciate a really fine guitar and that you can also put it in perspective in an honest and open relationship with your significant other.

I agree completely with the idea of buying used from a reputable supplier. The OM1 is an amazing guitar, and at that price point there are many other guitars that may also shake you in your boots. If you are willing to try a bunch of guitars at that price point you may end up with a larger pool of used guitars to choose from.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings