The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Default Arpeggios

Greetings,

Do I finish an arpeggio when there's a chord change? What I mean is if I'm playing the C chord, and arpeggio goes 5 4 3 4 2 3 4 3, if I switch to a G or C on beat 3 do I start from the beginning of that pattern again or do I finish it? I'm leaning toward starting the arpeggio over from the beginning of the pattern. I tried just picking it up, but it doesn't sound right when I change the chord.

Playing arpeggios is something I'm just starting to learn, so I'm not sure.

Thanks

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Guild M140
Yamaha LS16
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Your question is not clear to me but I'll try...

Every arpeggio note you play should line up with the the chord of the song. If the chord changes, you need to change your arpeggio on the same beat, but you don't always need to start the arpeggio on the root.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
Greetings,

Do I finish an arpeggio when there's a chord change? What I mean is if I'm playing the C chord, and arpeggio goes 5 4 3 4 2 3 4 3, if I switch to a G or C on beat 3 do I start from the beginning of that pattern again or do I finish it? I'm leaning toward starting the arpeggio over from the beginning of the pattern. I tried just picking it up, but it doesn't sound right when I change the chord.

Thanks
Try it in some music familiar to you and it will make more sense to you. A good one for that arpeggio pattern (change string numbers of course to fit the chord) would be Pachelbel's Canon.
Chord sequence is
C - G - Am - Em - F - C - F - G

Naturally you can use any variety of pattern you wish. A simple alternate for the above would be to play the first seven notes only (say for 4/4 time the first six notes are eighth notes and the seventh note is a quarter note)

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Greetings,

Thanks
HI kats...

Arpeggios are great filler, and if there is another guitarist strumming, they make a great contrast to the second guitarist's playing.

Sometimes it's key to finish the arpeggio and at other times, just leave the last note out while the other person chords, and pick it up on the new chord.

I'm not sure there are any hard-n-fast rules. If you are playing by yourself, then try it both ways.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 AM

Rules are for fools.
Steer by your ear.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:34 AM
happiness

I love arpeggiated patterns and use them more than anything else!

As has been said, it's about trying different things to see what sounds good to you. I'm writing this whilst on my lunch break at work so don't have a guitar with me to try it out and see what sounds good, but here's my idea.

In the pattern you give, I'm assuming that's 4/4 time, so your third beat is the fifth "pick" within that pattern, so you're changing chord half way through the bar. In this example, if just continuing with the same pattern isn't working, I'd probably replace the second part of your pattern with the first part again, but starting on the 6th string (the g note) because of the change of chord, then on the next bar, just start the pattern again. So, in the bar where you have the chord change, the pattern would become 5 4 3 4 6 4 3 4 OR just change that one note and keep the pattern otherwise the same, i.e. 5 4 3 4 6 3 4 3. Either way, introducing that G bass note when the chord changes willl, I think, help.

Other options you could consider include: breaking up the pattern a bit perhaps with a bass run; or mixing with a different arpeggiated pattern that might work better for that chord; or use a brief strum; or a pause where you either mute the last note played or leave it ringing out (all depending on the feel of where the chord change fits within the song and in relation to the vocals etc)

Fliss
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Greetings,

The short answer is that there's not one hard-and-fast rule here. You want to be flexible and do what sounds right. It's going to depend on the specifics of the pattern.

Generally - although not always - you want to hit a root on the "1" of a new chord. Sometimes you get there by using a passing note which isn't part of your arpeggio (although that passing note usually goes in the FIRST chord's measure so you're hitting the root of the new chord on the 1). Other times the new chord's root is part of the old chord (eg, if you're going form a C major to G major) so you have more flexibility.

With most fingerpicking patterns you keep the pattern going - but this is where the passing note stuff comes in really handy. But lots of songs don't keep a consistent arpeggio pattern, so, again, you have lots of flexibility to do what sounds right to you.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
C chord, and arpeggio goes 5 4 3 4 2 3 4 3
i can't quite wrap my head around this.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i can't quite wrap my head around this.

those are string numbers, eg

---------------------------------
-----------------0---------------
-----------0--------0-----0-----
-------0------0--------0--------
---0-----------------------------

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-17-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post

those are string numbers, eg

-----------------0---------------
-----------0--------0-----0-----
-------0------0--------0--------
---0-----------------------------
ah, thanks, that makes sense. i was thinking of arpeggios running up or down in pitch, and was trying to relate them to frets, which made no sense.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
The short answer is that there's not one hard-and-fast rule here. You want to be flexible and do what sounds right. It's going to depend on the specifics of the pattern.
Hi Hs...

Sure it's going to depend on the pattern. It's also going to depend on the rhythm of the piece, and the speed and length of the chords being arpeggiated.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-17-2012, 02:16 PM

An arpeggio is simply the notes of a chord played individually instead of together...it's funny, on an acoustic forum most folks will think of holding down a chord and plucking out individual strings, and on a heavy metal forum folks will think of sweeping arpeggios with multiple notes on each string, but they're both right...

So there's no "end." When the chord changes, you change.

If you're coming up with a set part for a song, play around with different ideas...try starting low on every chord...try ascending for the first chord, descending for the second, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM

It's helpful to know there's not just one "right" way, and to rely on my ear. I just wasn't sure if there was some hard and fast rule I needed to know about.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Guild M140
Yamaha LS16
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's helpful to know there's not just one "right" way, and to rely on my ear. I just wasn't sure if there was some hard and fast rule I needed to know about.
Hi kats...

When I find people claiming hard-n-fast rules, I want to know who appointed them the music-police.

There are set principles, but many are not in reality set in concrete...more like set in pudding.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write