The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Default I don't want to sound like 'anybody else'

Finally, a deep heaving sigh. My own limitations are, no doubt, self inflicted. I'm finally o.k. with that. I learned as any other self taught person learns, through the [often unnecessary] pain and misery of the 'slow way'.

I can say I am not interested in learning classical repertoire. I can say I don't want to 'own' or copy cover songs. I will never be on a big stage. In fact, I now question whether anyone beyond my wife and dog will ever hear me again.

That moment of freedom was...freeing.

I can go on to write more of my silly little songs whenever the muse and I hook up with no intent for success (whatever that is). Is this shallow and egocentric...maybe? Or maybe not...maybe it is one step beyond my delusionality.

Life is good, in the hear and now!

Be well,
D

Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 AM

It sounds pretty healthy to me. Just have fun.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 AM

For some of us, finding our own distinctive voice is more important than anything. It's one of the many reasons people are drawn to artistic pursuits.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-05-2019, 10:53 AM

Yes, I resemble this!
As so many on this forum would attest, finding your own way and growing is perhaps the fuel that keeps things fresh and ongoing....whatever your directions are for fun with all this.
"Sounding like me" is my task and goal...........but I take my ques from many folks across the landscape and try to make my own way. I think that listening to the music of others is kind of a gateway to your own style and substance. Without doing "covers" you open yourself up to be influenced in ways that help bring out the best of what you, and you alone can do.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 05-05-2019, 11:59 AM

I'm too old to care anymore. I just do my own thing, and I keep getting better at it. Yes, it is liberating.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
It sounds pretty healthy to me. Just have fun.
+1 on that! Whether original compositions or playing some of the stunning music that is already out there, I would also say it is about both enjoyment and self expression.

Personally I have no interest to try to reproduce what others have done, but enjoy arranging stuff my way, but like Fred (Islandguitar) I am influenced by what others do, either just in style or sometimes starting from an arrangement I admire.

My wife, who knows my playing well, of course, can alway hear whether it’s me or someone else playing - I would be disappointed if it were not the case.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 05-05-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
.....I can say I am not interested in learning classical repertoire. I can say I don't want to 'own' or copy cover songs. I will never be on a big stage. In fact, I now question whether anyone beyond my wife and dog will ever hear me again.

Not judging, I'm truly curious - are you saying there is no one out there besides yourself that wrote a song you liked well enough to want to play? I ask because it was hearing the music of the Grateful Dead, John Prine, Neil Young and others, and learning to play that music, that inspired and motivated me to keep practicing, learning and playing. My favorite social activity is playing music with other people. If I didn't know any standards or traditional songs I couldn't do that.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

It's good to be yourself.

I'm not there yet. I've been playing on and off for 54 years and I'm just starting to sound like my guitar heros. Once I get the professional sound I want then I'll add my own personality to the mix.

I remember as a kid, learning the concrete finishing trade from my father; I would tell him "it's easier for me to do it this way" and he would say "first you learn to do it the right way. Then you can add to it, but not take away what you have learned."

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-05-2019, 01:50 PM

One of my favorite quotes that inspire me:

“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”

― Pablo Picasso
Old 05-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
One of my favorite quotes that inspire me:

“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”

― Pablo Picasso
That, is a GREAT quote!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Mandobart...Good, and fair question. I learned many songs of others along the way...Phil Keaggy has been one of my most influential inspirations. I could listen to him all day long! Chet Atkins and even more, Earl Klugh also. No doubt Eric Clapton (I saw him in San Antonio 1977? with Muddy Waters - Slowhand tour) and all of the classic rockers too were also inspirations.

Probably my favorite Classical composer is Fernando Sor. I still love to take his simple but super powerful melodies and improvise on them...But I don't 'sound' like a classical guitarist. Heaven forbid I would ever compare myself to the others like Keaggy, Atkins, Klugh, Kottke or (insert name).

I never learned to do it 'right'. I just do what I do. I do have my guitar heros and do find inspiration and motivation to continue...but I never 'study' them in hopes of capturing their sound. I 'don't play well' with others so learning 'standards' has no appeal.

My sound is my sound. I am finally good with that.

I will continue to learn other music. I have some Sor and Arioso by Muriel Anderson on the ol' music stand right now.

I guess that what I was trying to say is I am o.k. with my very low key, 'it is what it is' approach after having put pressure on myself for years to...get it right or do it some other more mainstream way.

I hope this is clearer??!!

Regards
D

Old 05-05-2019, 03:53 PM

I'm with you. I picked up the guitar because I found it fascinating, not to emulate anyone. I appreciate good music but I've never felt the desire to be able to play any specific thing I heard.

For a while I thought it was a cop out to not attempt to emulate other artists' styles. But then I started to hear people appreciate my music and I realized there's no such thing as one style being inherently "better" than another.

If you're making technical mistakes, that's not good. But if you're executing what you're attempting to play, and you like it, that's enough! (in fact, that's everything)

Record yourself playing something you enjoy. If you like what you hear, it's all good.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:04 PM

Really good thread!
I think my epiphany years ago came with listening and appreciating James Taylor. (guitar only).
You hear 2 bars of his playing and you know it's him. To me, that's incredible that he developed a style that is so personal to him that lots of the guitar world studies what he's doing to try to play in a similar or exact fashion.
That's part of the backdrop for me to have comfort in finding my own way.....look what it did for JT! Of course nothing so dramatic would ever occur in my case, but the concept of owning your sound and making it all yours was part of this realization for me lots of years ago.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 05-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rock View Post
Finally, a deep heaving sigh. My own limitations are, no doubt, self inflicted. I'm finally o.k. with that. I learned as any other self taught person learns, through the [often unnecessary] pain and misery of the 'slow way'.

I can say I am not interested in learning classical repertoire. I can say I don't want to 'own' or copy cover songs. I will never be on a big stage. In fact, I now question whether anyone beyond my wife and dog will ever hear me again.

I can go on to write more of my silly little songs whenever the muse and I hook up with no intent for success (whatever that is). Is this shallow and egocentric...maybe? Or maybe not...maybe it is one step beyond my delusionality.

Life is good, in the hear and now!

Be well,
D

Sounds like you ran the gauntlet put before you by your alter ego and survived by mere appreciation of playing music. Congratulations.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I'm too old to care anymore. I just do my own thing, and I keep getting better at it. Yes, it is liberating.
This is where I'm at also. I have also noticed a large group and a big part of country rag blues guitar, the style I gravitate to, is all about playing what you please. I feel after fifty years of playing guitar in all kinds of bands and groups that I am enjoying making guitar music more then ever.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write