The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-23-2018, 03:19 PM

Default "Ain't No Good Thing Ever Dies" - A Collection of Bob Dylan and Tom Waits covers

Hi all.

I've just finished up an album-length collaboration between my duo and a singer friend of ours and thought you all might enjoy.

The whole album is available at all the various places online where music is available.

Here's the YouTube music link to the whole shebang and here's the first track (the guitar there is a very temperamental 12-fret Waterloo):

Last edited by midwinter; 10-23-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:49 PM

This is SO good.How things like this can pass without any comments boggles me.I haven't been really posting or commenting here lately...but this made me.
What is it about the Waterloo that's temperamental?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

I haven't listened to everything ... yet. But i wanted to chime in on how outstanding these renditions are. I've always wanted to hear "Christmas Card from a Hooker" from a female's perspective. Carrie knocks this outta the park! Great vocalist.

Nice arrangements and you happened to pick some of my favorite Waits tunes.

Your arrangement of "Oxford Town" is spectacular. Is the original that short? "Meet Me In The Morning" is as well. Carrie is soaring on this! Love the change a "birds are flying' low"... very cool.

Best with this project and congrats on on your efforts. I'll get back to the rest...

bill

EDIT>>>>> Listened to Dark Eyes and said to myself "Ok, that's enough " and bought it. Best to you and others on the project, bill

Last edited by willysunday; 10-27-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add a comment
Old 10-27-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbaroque View Post
This is SO good.How things like this can pass without any comments boggles me.I haven't been really posting or commenting here lately...but this made me.
What is it about the Waterloo that's temperamental?
Thanks so much!

The Waterloo is not adjusting to Utah as happily as I'd hoped. It developed a hump in the neck and had to have the hump sanded out and the bottom half of it re-fretted. I don't know what my luthier did, but it sounded like a million bucks when I got it back.

And then one fret on one string started buzzing, and he thinks the top has settled again, so it's been in the shop for a week.

Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysunday View Post
I haven't listened to everything ... yet. But i wanted to chime in on how outstanding these renditions are. I've always wanted to hear "Christmas Card from a Hooker" from a female's perspective. Carrie knocks this outta the park! Great vocalist.

Nice arrangements and you happened to pick some of my favorite Waits tunes.

Your arrangement of "Oxford Town" is spectacular. Is the original that short? "Meet Me In The Morning" is as well. Carrie is soaring on this! Love the change a "birds are flying' low"... very cool.

Best with this project and congrats on on your efforts. I'll get back to the rest...

bill

EDIT>>>>> Listened to Dark Eyes and said to myself "Ok, that's enough " and bought it. Best to you and others on the project, bill
Aw, man! Thanks! That's super cool! Carrie's really something else. Blew me away the first time I heard her sing. Super intuitive and fun and VERY easy to work with both live and in the studio. I'll be recording a couple of EPs of her original songs soon. She's one of my favorite songwriters around here.

We tried to stay away from the "standards," and so my partner (the keyboard player) and I spent something like a year listening to nothing but the entire catalog of both Waits and Dylan as we drove to our gigs until we settled on a few songs to put on a list.

Our "Oxford Town" is 17 seconds shorter than the original (1:47 vs 1:30). We were astonished during tracking that it was as short as it is. We end it on that ominous, low piano chord; Dylan keeps playing for a bit after that last verse is finished.

That little tape-stop effect in "Meet Me" is so much fun! It's kind of the only "effect" on the entire album.

Thank you so much for the kind comments! And for the purchase! When we get Carrie's first EP done, I'll make sure to post it here.

Thanks again!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

I agree that this is other worldly. Amazing, long black coat is especially wonderful. I hope you are all proud.

Ps... I think sometimes it just takes us a while to get around to listening to stuff. Places like her and the Gibby forum... well ... ya kind of stop in for ten minutes and then deal with life. It’s hard to go on a forum for a half hour...

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 10-27-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I agree that this is other worldly. Amazing, long black coat is especially wonderful. I hope you are all proud.
Thank you so much!

This is, I think, the proudest I have ever been of any recording I've ever been involved in.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 PM

Sorry to bump this old thread, but we just had a video shoot with our local paper go live and I thought you guys might like to hear what these sound like stripped down.

"See That My Grave Is Kept Clean":

"Come On Up to the House":

My favorite, "Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis":

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell