The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 06:32 AM

Default D18 and Bridge Pins

The specs say they are plastic.
Comments?
Anybody change them out to another material and if so what and with what results?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-05-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Comments?
Anybody change them out to another material and if so what and with what results?
I changed mine to ebony pins on a 2014. No real difference other than I know they are not plastic. Probably more mental than anything. Plus after a few years of string changes the plastic pins get a bit messed up. Plus ebony drop in pins are not expensive.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:06 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Swapped mine out for bone pins with faux tortoise inlays from Bob C. Looked great. No noticeable change in tone.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 AM

To me it seems like Martin skimps out on that aspect. If u buy somewhere other than a forum sponsor ur gonna spend over $2k and they still put cheap plastic pins. To me that crazy
It’s not just Martin tho cause I bought a j45 that had a plastic bridge and nut which again is crazy for a guitar of that caliber
On the other hand when I bought my master works Alvarez it had ebony pins and bone nut/bridge
Old 06-05-2018, 08:17 AM

Changed the plastic pins in my D-18 to Martin Ebony with Abalone Dots. Can't say I could tell a difference in sound, but the aesthetics increased by a large factor for me.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 AM

Pin choice is personal.
I don't blame Martin for staying with traditional plastic pins.
We will replace them with what we like and not expect Martin to guess what each of us like.
Not a big concern for me.
Kind of like string choice.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
...We will replace them with what we like and not expect Martin to guess what each of us like...
That is the key I think. Plus Martins have used plastic pins of one sort or another since 1930. I prefer Antique Acoustics pins which are very similar to the hard plastic pins Martin used in the 1930's.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
To me it seems like Martin skimps out on that aspect. If u buy somewhere other than a forum sponsor ur gonna spend over $2k and they still put cheap plastic pins. To me that crazy
It’s not just Martin tho cause I bought a j45 that had a plastic bridge and nut which again is crazy for a guitar of that caliber
On the other hand when I bought my master works Alvarez it had ebony pins and bone nut/bridge
I asked a Martin rep about this a few years back. Gave me 2 great reasons:

1. Plastic is not susceptible to humidity fluctuations and therefore is perfect for putting into holes without worrying about expanding and causing cracks.

2. Plastic is tone neutral and therefore does not effect the natural tone of the guitar.

Two great reasons for me.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I added some custom bone pins to my D-18 back in 2014. Bob Colossi lives just across the border and he made these and match my sitka top nicely! I just didn't care much for the stock all black ones, however, not much change in tone, maybe a nice touch of presence....I did try some ebony that I already had and did not care for the slightly muddier tone, they seem to have more impact then bone on this guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1965638_1555746277988231_5656832571421182406_o.jpg (50.8 KB, 250 views)
Old 06-05-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Comments?
Here are my comments...because of this site a few years ago (been luring for a long time, only got a membership a few weeks ago) I got suckered into thinking changing out bridge pins would change my world. Honestly, it didn't make a bit of difference in "tone", just emptied my wallet a little bit. I'm sure there are guys out there with a more acute, discernible ear, or others who hear with their wallet and will swear that those expensive pins made from some crazy pre-historic fossilized extinct creature made a huge difference.

Over the years I've found that actually sitting down with the instrument and playing it, learning it and practicing it is going to have the biggest impact in how the guitar sounds.

I know many here will get miffed by this, but there are so many here that are concerned with, and geek out on the seemingly smallest details on their guitars. Sure, I guess these things could make a difference, but let's be real. If you want your guitar to sound it's best, learn how to play them. Now, I'm not saying this to accuse anyone of not being able to play their instruments, I'm just saying I found that my time was better spend learning technique, theory, practicing, etc. Once I got into that groove I started worrying and being less concerned about bridge pin material, swapping tuners, Tusq vs. bone, etc. Wasting time over the super small details (like bridge pin material) and shipping the big things like practicing and playing the instrument are going to have diminishing return.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 06-05-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I asked a Martin rep about this a few years back. Gave me 2 great reasons:

1. Plastic is not susceptible to humidity fluctuations and therefore is perfect for putting into holes without worrying about expanding and causing cracks.

2. Plastic is tone neutral and therefore does not effect the natural tone of the guitar.

Two great reasons for me.
Then why did my 00015M come with bone nut and saddle and ebony bridge pins ????
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin
Old 06-05-2018, 11:35 AM

I've tried a bunch of materials, but any differences in tone are generally subtle at best, and usually quickly forgotten once you stop listening so close & are actually playing again, IMHO.

I think most luthiers agree that it's the mass that makes any difference & not the material properties itself.

I like natural materials over plastics, but the AA pins mentioned above & the pins Stew Mac sells under the Waverly brand name are both made from Galalith, which is harder than cheapo ones that come on most guitars.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiphone100 View Post
Then why did my 00015M come with bone nut and saddle and ebony bridge pins ????
Marketing. Tradition maybe. It's a tasteful way to class up a pretty scarcely appointed instrument but they don't do anything to add to the overall characteristic sound of the guitar. I think shiny plastic pins would look out of place with that guitar, but for whatever reason the plastic pins on my D-35 and Gibson AJ look just fine.

Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 06-05-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Comments?
Had a brass set on my D-28, didn’t make any difference and eventually went back to plastic. All the pin does is hold the string ball in place anyway.
Now if people looked at the inside of their guitar with a mirror, I bet there would be some shock at the condition of some bridge plates. Cracks and ball recession do happen. Wish they oriented the grain the correct way, and backed up the holes when drilling them so the pins could do their job better. I like plate mates and think guitars should come with them from the factory.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 06-05-2018, 12:23 PM

For superior tone enhancement I only use bridge pins made from the beak of one of these guys...

Just KIDDING!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion