The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
Thanks Wade for the info

very cool to know!

I'll have to stop wearing my vinyl t-shirts
But you look so GOOD in those vinyl tee shirts! All contoured and, um, shiny in a way that people who like vinyl find very sexy!!

Actually, you know, even if there was such a thing as vinyl tee shirts, wearing one while playing guitar wouldn’t be as risky as draping the tee shirt over the guitar when you put it away in the case. It’s prolonged contact between vinyl and nitrocellulose lacquer that causes the worst damage. Most of the nastiest vinyl-caused finish damage that I’ve seen has been by vinyl-backed straps that were routinely laid against the guitar whenever it was put back into its case.

I still wouldn’t go wearing a vinyl tee shirt when playing guitar, though, no matter HOW attractive some of your fans might find it!! You need to resist their blandishments and go back to wearing cotton like everyone else!!!

whm
Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Thx, Wade. Good info, and Dan has always been helpful with my Eastman questions. Although I'd be curious to find out how they apply the nitro finishes, since they're so old school with little to no power equipment. I've seen videos of them hand-applying finishes, but not sure if it was nitro or the antique varnish (which is definitely hand-applied).

Re: cleaning products.

Most of the time, a clean cloth is sufficient. But when I need to clean a trouble spot or simply shine things up a little, I recommend Music Nomad products, which is also what Eastman uses in their Pomona shop. Music Nomad's "One" is my default cleaner for high gloss nitro, but for both of our open pore finishes and ukuleles, I use their "Guitar Detailer," which they say is safe for satin and open pore guitars and ukes.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

whm said:

Quote:
I still wouldn’t go wearing a vinyl tee shirt when playing guitar, though, no matter HOW attractive some of your fans might find it!! You need to resist their blandishments and go back to wearing cotton like everyone else!!!

on a side note, I think Eastman does a wonderful job on their open pore finish

here is a look...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1SSLTD.jpg (33.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatsonfan View Post
I'll have to stop wearing my vinyl t-shirts
On this basis alone, this thread has been an abject success.

And, if I might take it further, I'm hoping that docwatsonfan isn't the only forum member to stop wearing vinyl t-shirts.

Pants are another conversation entirely. Sadly.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Thank you, bufflehead, for your vivid imagination.

I know, I know, I started it....

whm
Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 PM

Wow, thanks for finding out! I don't do vinyl other than records so I think we're good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion