The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-31-2019, 01:05 AM

Default Harp Style/Cascading Scales

Are there any online sources? I've only found Simon Fox's DADGAD page (which is good). I've also got Doug Young's excellent Understanding DADGAD.
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 05-31-2019, 02:55 AM

A quick google just found this:
https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...scading_Scales

Like your ID, btw. I'm currently immersed in Bert's oeuvre myself. I helped produce this book -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bert-Transc.../dp/178558555X
- and am currently working on a second. Too much stuff already!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:09 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The scales on the Twang page are in standard tuning, and I only play in open D,G, and DADGAD.

The principles apply to all tunings though, and I think the only answer to find what I am looking for is to work it out for myself. I was working through one of Simon Fox's examples, and found there were better fingerings.

The Bert Jansch book looks interesting, though I can't play like him, no matter how hard I try. He was a wonderful guitarist, and I'm glad I eventually got to see him and John Renbourn play together, in 2008, with Pentangle.
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 05-31-2019, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

This book by Pierre Bensusan has some wonderful arpeggio/harp like scale study pieces and is a great source of info to have on DADGAD in general.
Lots of music too, theory, (even recipes.)
PB's Guitar Book
If DADGAD is your thing, this is a good one to have.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-31-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jansch View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The scales on the Twang page are in standard tuning, and I only play in open D,G, and DADGAD.
Oh yes, sorry!
Quote:
The principles apply to all tunings though, and I think the only answer to find what I am looking for is to work it out for myself. I was working through one of Simon Fox's examples, and found there were better fingerings.
That's exactly what I'd do: work them out myself, maybe with reference if I could find any, but always preferring whatever made more sense to me.
Quote:
The Bert Jansch book looks interesting, though I can't play like him, no matter how hard I try. He was a wonderful guitarist, and I'm glad I eventually got to see him and John Renbourn play together, in 2008, with Pentangle.
Well, I can't quite play like him either! Who can?
There are plenty of guitarists technically as good - or better - these days, but he had a particular style and sound, a character to his playing that it would be silly to try and emulate.

I used to see Jansch and Renbourn in Pentangle back the 1960s, and saw Jansch solo a few times. I learned to play most of his debut album and a few tracks on his other 60s albums - not perfectly, of course, but well enough for me at the time - but I was then more into the ragtimey blues of people like Stefan Grossman (who I also used to see back in the late 60s), going back to Blind Blake etc.
It's only since Jansch's death (sadly) that I've got much more in depth with his music, re-discovering a lot of albums I'd never heard before. And - like I say - still discovering (and transcribing) new tracks.

I have found that it is possible to play even his hardest tunes - if you're prepared to put in the time, take it steady, and not get bored before you finish. That's a real big "if", of course. (I've mastered one or two that sounded impossible at first, but not others, because I simply lost interest too soon.)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:25 AM

Double plus on the Bensusan book. Both one and 2+ octave harp scales in all keys. Fingerings are very good and the tab is fairly accurate.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
This book by Pierre Bensusan has some wonderful arpeggio/harp like scale study pieces and is a great source of info to have on DADGAD in general.
Lots of music too, theory, (even recipes.)
PB's Guitar Book
If DADGAD is your thing, this is a good one to have.
Pierre's book has the definitive set of scales for DADGAD - in all keys! I put some in my book, but I didn't want to duplicate what Pierre has done.

My Mel Bay fiddle book originally started out with the intention to focus on harp-style, and most of the arrangements use it, so it provides more examples, if that's what you're looking for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write