The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-13-2019, 06:47 PM

What a comeback by the Saints.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
What a comeback by the Saints.
It was a good win, but the announcers were saying this too. They were down 14-0 in the first quarter. Not a monumental comeback.

I mean the Pats were down by 14, TWICE, to the Ravens a few years ago and won and I don't recall hyping it as much for the comeback as the Saints today.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
It was a good win, but the announcers were saying this too. They were down 14-0 in the first quarter. Not a monumental comeback.

I mean the Pats were down by 14, TWICE, to the Ravens a few years ago and won and I don't recall hyping it as much for the comeback as the Saints today.
I agree. That Pats dual comeback was awesome!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 PM

I felt really bad for the eagles receiver who missed the pass
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
It seems Brady gets all the credit. That O Line is arguably the best in football.

Brady never gets touched and the line opens up running lanes my grandma could get at least 4 or 5 yards a try on.

It's been that way since forever. I don't understand why these so-called professional analysts don't mention this. Give Rivers that line and I guarantee you he would look like a superstar too.

Oh come on...year after year the Pats look less than perfect, even looking as recently as their December performance, they looked like a struggling offense. Early in the year they usually start slow. At 3-2 people were already writing off Brady as usual. That’s the thing about the Pats, they’re less than perfect year after year, but they always re adjust. Anyone on that bench has a chance to be a star, they work hard, the practice more than most NFL teams. That’s why they’re so good.

Today they just happened to play at their very best. Typical NE post season performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
So, just to be clear, are you saying I'm mad as in angry, or as insane? Just curious about which type of insult you're hurling at me.

And you seem surprised that a team that's been a dominant dynasty for almost two decades is pretty largely disliked by people outside of their immediate fanbase. Can you name any situation were that's NOT true? When a team wins after not winning for a long time, or ever, everyone loves them. Everyone loved the Red Sox in 2004. A shocking number of people were really happy for the Eagles last year. I was really happy when the Pats won their first one against the Rams back around 2000 or whichever year it was. But after several years of dominance, nobody likes those teams except those inclined to be their fans due to geography or just general bandwagon jumping.

I acknowledge the Pat's greatness, but I guess we'll have to disagree on how to apportion the credit. But I'm deathly sick of them and will be glad to see them exit stage left one year real real soon. So sue me.

-Ray

As in angry at something you shouldn’t be so angry about. Look up the meme “you mad bro?” For reference.

Everyone loves an underdog so I totally understand. Everyone loved the 49rs when Joe Montana was behind the center, and the Pats sucked badly in those days, yet I didn’t hate the 9rs,
Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 AM

Today was like Thanksgiving with football on but me not having a dog in the fight so I kinda fell asleep. Did the Patriots win?

Just kidding, I just didn’t get the final score. The last I saw it wa 41-14 and thought “this is a good number to choose for the lottery” before switching it off out of boredom. Any team that goes into Foxborough after a bye week for NE is just another lamb going to the slaughter.

I feel bad for the Eagles. I affirm that the Saints came back from 14 behind but c’mon now, they’re home and in a dome and they’ve got Drew Brees. It’s arena football with sidelines. *yawn* The Eagles should’ve been able to march down the field but for a heartbreaking turnover inside the two minute warning that quite frankly was just bad luck. I can only imagine that half of Philly is crying and the other half is pasting together death threats to their team.

I’m wondering though: will Andy Reid get it done this year?
Old 01-14-2019, 03:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
Yet another Pats hater.

*sigh*
You say that like it’s a BAD thing...

As I’ve said, I don’t actually hate em - that’s an emotion I save for the Cowboys and Yankees. Once the Pats get over this current reign, they’ll just go back to being inconsequential - I’m just tired of them, as are most fans in the country. I have huge respect for them, have repeatedly acknowledged I think they’re the best in NFL history just based on the length of their dominance. But, yeah, there’s a certain Darth Vader quality to the team that I’ll be glad to see Brady finally age out of excellence and BB just get old and hang it up...

The Cowboys and Yankees hate runs deeper - it feels permanent, and I’m not gonna apologize for that either. But of course it’s comic book hate - I don’t wish them any actual harm - just repeated professional misfortune. Actual hate I reserve for a very small handful of historic and current figures on the world stage who I believe are actually evil. And I’m not sure if even that is actual hate, but I definitely hate their actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
As in angry at something you shouldn’t be so angry about. Look up the meme “you mad bro?” For reference.

Everyone loves an underdog so I totally understand. Everyone loved the 49rs when Joe Montana was behind the center, and the Pats sucked badly in those days, yet I didn’t hate the 9rs,
Good point. I never disliked the 49ers or the old Steelers teams when they were great either. Or the Lombardi Packers, who were my childhood Colt’s arch-rivals. But the Cowboys I actually did/do hate and I’ve gotten thoroughly sick and tired of the Pats during their reign. It has to do with the personality of the 49ers, Steelers, and Packers - coaches, owners, stars. There was some real joy and personality to those teams that even someone who wasn’t specifically a fan could relate to and enjoy (when they weren’t pummeling my team!). I almost always rooted for the Steelers and 49ers during their runs, even though they weren’t MY teams. Never the Cowboys, not the Pats these days.

The Patriots and Cowboys in their heyday are / were a cold, lifeless, ruthlessly efficient bunch who only their mother’s (and those tied to them by geographical fandom) could love. They’re the current embodiment of the No Fun League. Hate is way too strong a word, but I definitely don’t like ‘em, and in a game that’s fundamentally there for entertainment, that’s bad enough. I’ll stand by that and own it.

-Ray
Old 01-14-2019, 06:01 AM

The Detroit Lions beat the Patriots handily this year,-- N.E. better not bring that game to this week's contest!

Fog
Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 AM

I thought they were four relatively dull games. In the first three, the rested home team blew out the visiting wild card surviver pretty easily. Those games were over in the first quarter. The fourth was a little more interesting, as the Saints had to up their game to get past the early charging Eagles. That game revealed New Orleans to have a pretty tough back bone.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 AM

The best possible games coming up. We all be lucky. One coach needs redemption - Reid. One is looking to establish himself - McVay. One to cement his reputation - Payton. And one is waiting on his own wing in Canton - try as I might, the name escapes me.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
The best possible games coming up. We all be lucky. One coach needs redemption - Reid. One is looking to establish himself - McVay. One to cement his reputation - Payton. And one is waiting on his own wing in Canton - try as I might, the name escapes me.
Yep, good analysis.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 AM

As a lifelong NY Giants fan, I was very happy to see the Cowboys & Eagles lose.

It would have been a dream weekend for me, if the Patriots had lost as well.

As a fan of the NFL, I'm hoping for Chief's vs Rams in the Superbowl. It'll be a refreshing change to see new teams in the game.

My 2nd preference is for the Chief's vs Saints in the Superbowl.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

Last edited by dkstott; 01-14-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-14-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
As a lifelong NY Giants fan, I was very happy to see the Cowboys & Eagles lose.

It would have been a dream weekend for me, if the Patriots had lost as well.

As a fan of the NFL, I'm hoping for Chief's vs Rams in the Superbowl. It'll be a refreshing change to see new teams in the game.

My 2nd preference is for the Chief's vs Saints in the Superbowl.
Man, I've always been for the Giants or Redskins when they've gotten into the playoffs and the Eagles hadn't. Nobody was happier for them in the two Super Bowls the Giants won. But with the number of comments I've seen like this from Giants fans after the Eagles loss, I guess I'm gonna have to change my ways. The Cowboys reaction I get because most people either love or hate the Cowboys and in the NFC East, that runs about 95-5 towards hate. But I've never been down on the other division teams except in a context that affects the Eagles.

I too am hoping for a Chiefs/Rams Super Bowl. I'd be for the Chiefs because I'd really like to see Andy Reid win a Super Bowl or two at some point. But I like the Rams too and would be happy to see them win it. My next choice would also be Saints/Chiefs and then I'd really be for the Chiefs. I don't dislike the Saints as a team but I don't like Sean Payton at ALL - he just comes off like a prick to me and the whole bounty-gate thing overwhelmingly confirmed that impression. If Brees could win one with another team, I'd be all for him.

And, of course, I'd hate to see the Patriots in another one and would hope for another loss if they get there. So far, only the NFC East has owned them in the Super Bowl - we're 3-1 thanks to the two Giants wins and one Eagles win against one Eagles loss - and that obviously isn't gonna happen again this year. So I'd be happy enough to see the Saint's avenge the Atlanta loss two years ago or the Rams avenge the Seahawks loss a few years back...

-Ray
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You say that like it’s a BAD thing...

As I’ve said, I don’t actually hate em - that’s an emotion I save for the Cowboys and Yankees. Once the Pats get over this current reign, they’ll just go back to being inconsequential - I’m just tired of them, as are most fans in the country. I have huge respect for them, have repeatedly acknowledged I think they’re the best in NFL history just based on the length of their dominance. But, yeah, there’s a certain Darth Vader quality to the team that I’ll be glad to see Brady finally age out of excellence and BB just get old and hang it up...

The Cowboys and Yankees hate runs deeper - it feels permanent, and I’m not gonna apologize for that either. But of course it’s comic book hate - I don’t wish them any actual harm - just repeated professional misfortune. Actual hate I reserve for a very small handful of historic and current figures on the world stage who I believe are actually evil. And I’m not sure if even that is actual hate, but I definitely hate their actions.

Good point. I never disliked the 49ers or the old Steelers teams when they were great either. Or the Lombardi Packers, who were my childhood Colt’s arch-rivals. But the Cowboys I actually did/do hate and I’ve gotten thoroughly sick and tired of the Pats during their reign. It has to do with the personality of the 49ers, Steelers, and Packers - coaches, owners, stars. There was some real joy and personality to those teams that even someone who wasn’t specifically a fan could relate to and enjoy (when they weren’t pummeling my team!). I almost always rooted for the Steelers and 49ers during their runs, even though they weren’t MY teams. Never the Cowboys, not the Pats these days.

The Patriots and Cowboys in their heyday are / were a cold, lifeless, ruthlessly efficient bunch who only their mother’s (and those tied to them by geographical fandom) could love. They’re the current embodiment of the No Fun League. Hate is way too strong a word, but I definitely don’t like ‘em, and in a game that’s fundamentally there for entertainment, that’s bad enough. I’ll stand by that and own it.

-Ray
LOL. Don't even try to reason with the rabid Pats fans. They want to justify their success by putting themselves in a weird "us against the world" mindset. I understand it because the Steelers fans are often this way.

I'll hand it to NE, they run a tighter ship. THAT'S the key: discipline. The rest of the league is sheer buffoonery. I was hoping that "athletes" would have kept off Dancing With The Stars before the SB though.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:59 PM

NE Patriots...5 rings, um no one else.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic