The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-29-2023, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD - Eastman AR372CE

A few months ago, I bought a used Ibanez archtop from a fellow AGFer - an AF95FM-SB. It’s a lovely guitar, and amazing for the price. They’re about $700 new, and consistently recommended by those in the know as a good ‘beginner’ archtop.

After playing this for a while, I found myself wishing for something with a little more real estate on the neck. I’m usually pretty agnostic about such things, but I can play things on my Emerald X20 with a 1 3/4” nut that felt a tad cramped on the Ibanez (which is 1 11/16”).

After doing some research, I found that Eastman specifies most of their archtops with a 1 3/4” nut. I’ve always had a fancy for the ES-175, and homed in on the Eastman AR372CE. Again, great reviews.

Then the fun began - actually finding one. None in stock in either of the two local Eastman dealers. I found a couple of new ones on Reverb from dealers I’d never heard of, and then cast my net a little wider from home. To my delight, Dave’s Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI had one; I ordered it on Thursday last week, it shipped Friday and was with me Saturday.

I left it overnight (temp is single digits here right now) and opened it up today.

It’s an absolute beauty. It appears to be flawlessly made, and the neck is exactly what I was looking for. Only demerit is the strings - why on earth Eastman would put D’Addario NYXLs on an archtop is beyond me, but that’s easily remedied.

I’m delighted. My fingers are sore. My ears are happy.

IMG_2748.jpg
IMG_2749.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 01-30-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Update title
Old 01-29-2023, 06:41 PM

That’s one good looking guitar Dave! I hope it is everything you hoped it would be.

frank d.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Wow that is a beautiful David. Congrats and enjoy it!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-29-2023, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Noice and congrats. I picked up a Romeo and am a convert. Looking for an arch top as we speak. Um, type...read...

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 01-29-2023, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Wow, David!

Congratulations! What a pretty guitar! I love that finish! Have fun!!!

- Glenn
Old 01-30-2023, 03:48 AM

Default Lucky Chap

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
A few months ago, I bought a used Ibanez archtop from a fellow AGFer - an AF95FM-SB. It’s a lovely guitar, and amazing for the price. They’re about $700 new, and consistently recommended by those in the know as a good ‘beginner’ archtop.

After playing this for a while, I found myself wishing for something with a little more real estate on the neck. I’m usually pretty agnostic about such things, but I can play things on my Emerald X20 with a 1 3/4” nut that felt a tad cramped on the Ibanez (which is 1 11/16”).

After doing some research, I found that Eastman specifies most of their archtops with a 1 3/4” nut. I’ve always had a fancy for the ES-175, and homed in on the Eastman AR372CE. Again, great reviews.

Then the fun began - actually finding one. None in stock in either of the two local Eastman dealers. I found a couple of new ones on Reverb from dealers I’d never heard of, and then cast my net a little wider from home. To my delight, Dave’s Guitar Shop in La Crosse, WI had one; I ordered it on Thursday last week, it shipped Friday and was with me Saturday.

I left it overnight (temp is single digits here right now) and opened it up today.

It’s an absolute beauty. It appears to be flawlessly made, and the neck is exactly what I was looking for. Only demerit is the strings - why on earth Eastman would put D’Addario NYXLs on an archtop is beyond me, but that’s easily remedied.

I’m delighted. My fingers are sore. My ears are happy.

Attachment 86957
Attachment 86959
You lucky sod. Couple of years ago, I tried for ages to find a good ES175 copy. My timing must have been awry. Never could find one. Ended up just buying an IBG epi SG, which I'm very happy with. But that Eastman of yours is very pretty.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 01-30-2023, 05:20 AM

I found an AR-371SB locally via the OfferUp app. The finish has some dings, checks, and swirls, but I love playing it. With the single neck pickup I can get my inner Metheny on.

Congrats!
Old 01-30-2023, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, all! ‘Tis a lovely object, indeed - and, more to the point, a very good guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
You lucky sod. Couple of years ago, I tried for ages to find a good ES175 copy. My timing must have been awry. Never could find one. Ended up just buying an IBG epi SG, which I'm very happy with. But that Eastman of yours is very pretty.
The first time I remember ever seeing an ES-175 was at Michael Chapman concert in 1973. He played an ES-175, echo-drenched, through a Fender Twin on a great song called “New York Ladies”. Then, of course, there was Steve Howe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstick View Post
I found an AR-371SB locally via the OfferUp app. The finish has some dings, checks, and swirls, but I love playing it. With the single neck pickup I can get my inner Metheny on.
I seriously debated looking for the 371, but decided that I’d miss the second pickup, especially as I’m playing plugged in most of the time.

Seriously impressed with Eastman, however, on this first acquaintance. The friend I bought the Ibanez from has one of their Frank Vignola models, which he is very happy with. As he’s just bought one of my other guitars from me, maybe I’ll end up with it one day
Cordoba Stage

Old 01-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I played a T486 at my local shop on Saturday, and it felt great. Looks like you’ve got a keeper there.

Eastman specs the nut width on the T486 I played as 1.72”, just a hair shy of 1-3/4”. But I can confirm that the tiny bit of extra width between 1.685” (1-11/16”) and 1.72” is noticeable.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! Congratulations on your new addition. Thanks for sharing pictures. I always love seeing others NGD! Keep us updated as to how you get along with her.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-01-2023, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Very nice! Congratulations on your new addition. Thanks for sharing pictures. I always love seeing others NGD! Keep us updated as to how you get along with her.
I put a set of D’Addario Chromes on it this afternoon - the ‘Jazz Light Gauge’, 11-50 set. Now it sounds even more like it looks

About the only issue I’ve found with it is the headstock/tuner alignment - the 3rd and 4th strings make gentle contact with the 2nd and 5th tuners on their way past, but I can’t believe it makes any difference to playability or sound. The tuners themselves are ‘Pingwell’ brand, and they’re ok. Not the best I’ve encountered (that honour goes to Gotoh, by a long shot), but they do the job.

I’m a very happy camper.
Cordoba Stage

Old 02-02-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I put a set of D’Addario Chromes on it this afternoon - the ‘Jazz Light Gauge’, 11-50 set. Now it sounds even more like it looks
I’ve put flat wound strings on all of my archtops, but haven’t done so (yet) with the 371.

Oddly enough, I watched this Tim Lerch video yesterday, where he talks about the 175 that he had sold many years ago, and have recently found a replacement. He talks about swapping out the flats that the previous owner had installed for round wound strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h348gjglP4I
Old 02-03-2023, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

I bought my Martin 000-18 from Dave's. I saw your 372 on his website but didn't pull the trigger. When I finally decided to buy it, it was gone. I searched the dealers on Eastman's website and found one at the Guitar Guys in Ohio. It was delivered yesterday and I just opened it today. Here she is:

Old 02-03-2023, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPO View Post
I bought my Martin 000-18 from Dave's. I saw your 372 on his website but didn't pull the trigger. When I finally decided to buy it, it was gone. I searched the dealers on Eastman's website and found one at the Guitar Guys in Ohio. It was delivered yesterday and I just opened it today.
Congratulations - it looks quite remarkably like mine
Cordoba Stage

Old 02-03-2023, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Congratulations - it looks quite remarkably like mine
Since we both missed out on the Pisano that was recently listed here, I think that we're both pretty happy with the outcome.

They are a couple of beauties and I'm really happy with mine. I wonder how close yours and mine are by serial number? Mine is L2200495.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars