The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-29-2023, 02:05 PM

I use cash quite often. I’m a slave enough of my phone to completely surrender and have absolutely my whole life in it. So I’ll always have a wallet with cash, a few cards and a lot of old business cards I somehow can’t part with. [emoji23]
Old 01-29-2023, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

I was at a bar listening to a band, who had a banner that had a scan code on it, and younger folks were tipping with their phones.

Im afraid to admit it, but the most honest reason that I still carry a wallet is that Im old!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-29-2023, 03:35 PM

Reading through this thread marks the first time I've even heard of 'not having a wallet' even being a thing.

I am so out of touch! I still wear a wristwatch.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:39 PM

I bought one of these slim minimalist wallets last year. It's great. The wallet doesn't open up, but there are slots on both sides for your credit cards/ drivers license, etc. and a 'pocket' in the middle for a few bills.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:39 PM

People will find their comfort zone. Mine still includes a wallet. There are a few physical cards I must carry, and I like to have some cash on hand, so... I keep a wallet. But I do keep it slim enough to fit in a front pocket.

I've never put any kind of card into my phone's payment feature. It's not that I mistrust it or misunderstand it, I am just used to stuffing a card into the card reader. (And the times I have tried to tap and pay with a physical card, I always have to tap on three places on the reader, as the magic spot is never labeled, or worse, it is mislabeled... so I kind of hate tap payments for that reason.)
Old 01-29-2023, 04:12 PM

Simple front pocket billfold for 35 years. Will never give it up.

1 CC, debit card, DL and my medical cards. When I was traveling for business I always carried a couple hundred bucks. Now Im unlikely to have $50.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Not giving it up yet but it is starting to look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwEmQNd6wMA

Tom
Old 01-29-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I'm running out of "buts" in my quest to justify carrying a good old fashioned leather trifold wallet. Don't need cash. CCs all on the phone. (even cash is essentially in my phone now). our state is considering electronic IDs and drivers licenses. have 10,000 photos in my phone (and only 8 in my plastic fan display). There's only one thing I used to carry in my wallet that won't go into a phone (and I won't mention what that is), but as an old married man, that's now a moot point. Anyone else giving up the wallet all together?
No I’m not.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-29-2023, 06:41 PM

I still carry one with physical cards, but even my insurance info is easily accessed with an app, and my state has an app where your driver's license lives, too. Like lots of you, less and less needs to be in my wallet.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:32 PM

My wallet never runs out of charge…..
Old 01-29-2023, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I will carry one until I don't carry anything anymore. I will never have my financial info on my phone and I carry a minimal wallet that is about a half inch thick, so no physical worries.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 01-29-2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
My wallet never runs out of charge…..

Running out of charge is a thing of the past when cell phones had about 12 hours of standby and 2 hours of talking time battery capacity. My two and a half year old iPhone can still hold a charge the whole day, and if I need to charge it, I have a charger in my car, a charger in my work office, a charger in my work truck etc.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Still carrying a few cards,debit/credit and esp medical cards (3 heart surgeries, now I carry different parts). I am on enough meds that I carry a copy of those as I still travel some for work, sometimes pretty remote.

Lots of tip jars still around these parts so whenever possible my wife and I enjoy tossing bills into the containers. This usually gets us into a nice conversation with whomever is servicing us - more than a card tip does.

People still ask me for a business card now and then, so I carry a few of those in the wallet.

Almost all my pants have cargo pockets - good for wallets up front. When I wear nicer slacks, I also wear a sport coat and that's where my wallet goes.

I mentor teens and many of them are wearing watches these days. I'm forever asking one of them for the time.......

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-30-2023, 06:54 AM

I carry a wallet. For several reasons, but mostly because...

Cash is king. I was at a Harbor Freight YESTERDAY (Murray Ky.) and they were having issues with electricity and had a hand written sign on the door.

CASH ONLY

No problem for me, I always carry a couple hundred bucks in case I find a "deal". Sometimes I have more than that.

Phones fail, point of sale readers fail, chips fail, heck I have to repeatedly stick my card in, take it out, stick it in, take it out, swipe, try again and on and on all the time.

I do a little overlanding and exploring as well and many places in the boondocks have poor or zero internet access. They will ALL take cash.

Also, many local businesses will charge you MORE for using a credit card, they would rather have cash or a check.

Also I like to use cash for tipping, buskers, being a nice guy, and such. I don't care if poor people don't claim a few bucks on their taxes, a grey economy is healthy.

I like to barter, too.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-30-2023, 07:05 AM

I still carry a wallet but I use my phone to pay as much as possible. But the biggest reason I carry a wallet is all the "Loyalty" cards. Is there an app to store all of those in one place? I don't want an app for each store, just one app that stores the cards.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic