The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-25-2023, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Super Basic Newbie Question

I know nothing about recording! I am doing online classes on the artistworks site where one uploads video for critique by the teacher. I have been recording myself using my iPhone SE and uploading to their site from my M1 MacBook Air. You now have a detailed list of my technology! Given what I have, and my currently limited goal, what is the simplest way of producing videos with better sound? (Aside from learning to play better - which is the end goal, of course I am happy to add equipment but would prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I know nothing about recording! I am doing online classes on the artistworks site where one uploads video for critique by the teacher. I have been recording myself using my iPhone SE and uploading to their site from my M1 MacBook Air. You now have a detailed list of my technology! Given what I have, and my currently limited goal, what is the simplest way of producing videos with better sound? (Aside from learning to play better - which is the end goal, of course I am happy to add equipment but would prefer to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
You might pick up something helpful in my "Frugal video / audio" topic.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
Given what I have, and my currently limited goal, what is the simplest way of producing videos with better sound?
Your weak link is the microphone. Check out this recent thread...

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663952
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-25-2023, 08:38 PM

I agree. The first thing to add would be a way to use an external microphone or microphones you could place. There are many options with different price levels, flexibility, qualities, simplicity, etc. You want simplicity, which you already have, and you want better which means we need to estimate or guess how much better and what would count at too much complexity for you.

There are simple plug-in microphones that attach via the iPhone lightning port and are simple I'd guess, but you are still mic'ing from the "camera's" (phone's) body with those.

I've used the Izotope Spire, and liked the recording quality, but this device is now being deprecated by Izotope, so I mention it to say that external microphones made a discernable improvement. It was a device with software that was aimed at use cases like yours.

Even with the phone's microphones there could be some improvement from the room you record in too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-26-2023, 08:52 AM

You're already way ahead of the game with your MacBook.

Pick up something like the SSL2+ (or one of the Focusrite Scarlett interfaces) and one of the Warm Audio mics and record your audio into GarageBand.

Then just sync the video and audio in iMovie.

What I like about the SSL2+ is it doesn't need a separate power supply so you just have your MacBook and the interface (and mic) to drag around to wherever you want to record.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD