The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-18-2023, 11:35 AM

Default Rainsong?

Just bought a Rainsong Dread from The forum. I have had the WS MODEL when they were made in Hawaii, and later the Dread with the hybrid top. I have not played the carbon (weave) top on the Dread. Any thoughts on what to expect? I think it will sound nice, just wondering what the difference will be?
Been wanting a carbon acoustic again for some time. A few more days………..
Old 01-18-2023, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

My experience has been: it will sound like a really nice guitar! Enjoy this new acquisition!
Old 01-18-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Just bought a Rainsong Dread from The forum. I have had the WS MODEL when they were made in Hawaii, and later the Dread with the hybrid top. I have not played the carbon (weave) top on the Dread. Any thoughts on what to expect? I think it will sound nice, just wondering what the difference will be?
I have a 1999 WS1000 Reissue which has the carbon weave top. I love the sound and playability of this guitar! I also have a 25 yr anniversary model with black ice top and 2 OMs with the unidirectional tops. I think the carbon weave top sounds closer to the black ice top - it’s a little brighter than the unidirectional tops which sound a bit warmer. I don’t prefer one over the other. I go back and forth on which Rainsong is my favorite. Congrats on your new guitar!
Old 01-18-2023, 09:57 PM

Default Waiting on my first Rainsong.

I ordered my first Rainsong this past weekend and can't wait to check it out. I live rural and not many places to try these but I have watched every YT video and read everything I can find on them. I went with the OM shorty in the red. I was back and forth about black or red but the red won me over. So appreciate all the comments on these threads and will be looking to replace some strings sounds like from what I have read. I took my GS mini on a road trip during some hot weather and never left it in the car, always had humidipacks in the case. Was surprised that it took so long for it to reacclimate and stay in tune when I got home. So started looking at carbon fiber as I travel in a small RV every chance I get. This sounds like it will be my new favorite. Thanks again for the many CF threads.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:39 PM

The rain songs are quite good. The ones with truss rods have appeal that the earlier ones don’t; I like to dial in my relief and this makes it possible.

Good luck and I hope your new instrument is as good as it promises to be!
Old 01-18-2023, 11:29 PM

RainSong was my gateway drug into CF. Great guitars
Old 01-19-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanJam View Post
I ordered my first Rainsong this past weekend and can't wait to check it out. I live rural and not many places to try these but I have watched every YT video and read everything I can find on them. I went with the OM shorty in the red. I was back and forth about black or red but the red won me over. So appreciate all the comments on these threads and will be looking to replace some strings sounds like from what I have read. I took my GS mini on a road trip during some hot weather and never left it in the car, always had humidipacks in the case. Was surprised that it took so long for it to reacclimate and stay in tune when I got home. So started looking at carbon fiber as I travel in a small RV every chance I get. This sounds like it will be my new favorite. Thanks again for the many CF threads.
Congratulations! I saw a red shorty OM with black ice top on the website. It looks really cool! I hope you enjoy your Rainsong as much as I do. It’s funny, I can relate to what you said about traveling with a GS-Mini. I ruined mine years ago on a road trip to Moab. I left it in a car for a few hours and forgot about it. That’s what got me interested in carbon fiber and Rainsong. Since then I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how good these guitars sound, play, and look.
Old 01-19-2023, 12:44 PM

Thanks all. I still love my wood guitars and actually play mandolin (a bit) but have a feeling I may be spending more time with the Rainsong.
Old 01-19-2023, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hope you will enjoy it JJ, they are great guitars, love my CH-OM...and just think you can leave it out on a stand all year long!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-25-2023, 08:08 PM

So….it has arrived! I am OK with how it looks, meaning no major flaws. Got it cleaned up and I must say I am quite impressed with the tone, It sounds and plays as well as I had hoped. The last RAINSONG I had was the composite top, this one has the carbon top. Really like the tone it puts out. I for got how nice carbon can sound….
Old 01-26-2023, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So….it has arrived! I am OK with how it looks, meaning no major flaws. Got it cleaned up and I must say I am quite impressed with the tone, It sounds and plays as well as I had hoped. The last RAINSONG I had was the composite top, this one has the carbon top. Really like the tone it puts out. I for got how nice carbon can sound….
Congrats jj! Enjoy your no need to humidify Rainsong.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-27-2023, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Cant go wrong with a Carbon Guitar IMO
Old 02-09-2023, 11:15 AM

Update: A few weeks in…
Getting used to the guitar. I do not know what strings were on it, but sounded nice.
Swapped out the strings to Martin Authentic Acoustic .47/.10 treated set. I know this is a bit light, but it really sounds good! And plays better. I think the action could be lower, but it is sounding/playing so sweet I do not want to make any changes yet….I will listen for a bit longer before making more changes, if any.

My question would be: why have I not had a Carbon guitar for this many years? With the G.A.S. that comes with forum membership I should have had at least 3…
Old 02-09-2023, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Getting used to the guitar. I do not know what strings were on it, but sounded nice.
Swapped out the strings to Martin Authentic Acoustic .47/.10 treated set. I know this is a bit light, but it really sounds good! And plays better. I think the action could be lower, but it is sounding/playing so sweet I do not want to make any changes yet….I will listen for a bit longer before making more changes, if any.

My question would be: why have I not had a Carbon guitar for this many years? With the G.A.S. that comes with forum membership I should have had at least 3…
Sometimes you don't know what you don't know. Good to see that you are enjoying the CF experience!
Old 02-09-2023, 07:27 PM

Quote:

Congrats on the new guitar! I felt the same way after getting my first CF guitar around 5 years ago. It was the first time I had an acoustic that I could leave out hanging on the wall. I noticed I played that guitar a lot more than any of my other guitars and enjoyed playing it as much as my other guitars too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber