The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-08-2023, 06:45 AM

Default Guild Mk 5 - strings suggestions?

I have a Guild Mk V classical, which is quite a heavily built instrument. I think it's rosewood back and sides with a red cedar top. Standard tension nylon core strings (e.g. D'Addario Pro Arte) produce a slightly plummy sound to my ear. I'm happy with medium tension, but I'd like a bit more crispness and definition. What would you suggest - is it worth e.g. trying a carbon core set?
Old 01-08-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxr View Post
I have a Guild Mk V classical, which is quite a heavily built instrument. I think it's rosewood back and sides with a red cedar top. Standard tension nylon core strings (e.g. D'Addario Pro Arte) produce a slightly plummy sound to my ear. I'm happy with medium tension, but I'd like a bit more crispness and definition. What would you suggest - is it worth e.g. trying a carbon core set?
A set of Fluorocarbon or titanium trebles might suit you better. As related in the "Zac Attack" topic, many outside of the realm of classical players are also opting for extra hard full sets.
Old 01-08-2023, 10:02 AM

Default string suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
A set of Fluorocarbon or titanium trebles might suit you better. As related in the "Zac Attack" topic, many outside of the realm of classical players are also opting for extra hard full sets.
Fluorocarbons such as Daddario EJ45FF (normal tension) and Labella Vivace (normal tension) may give you the tonal qualities you're looking for. They sound brighter (to me anyway) on the guitars I have. You can try the hard or extra hard versions of these strings, but you might not like they way they feel under your fingertips.

Anyway, strings are cheap enough that you can order a set, put them on your guitar, play them a while and then try something else a month later. The strings by mail website has most popular brands and types of classical guitar strings.

http://stringsbymail.com
Old 01-09-2023, 02:29 PM

Not sure what plummy sound means, but as someone suggested, strings are relatively cheap, try a bunch. My go to set for years on my Mark V were Savarez Red Card or Yellow Card (the latter higher tension). One thing about many classical string sets, you can get 1/2 sets, so if it's the trebles that you're describing as plummy, you can get different treble sets to try, likewise for the wound strings.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical